Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I've never put courgette in the sauce, but I heartily recommend grated courgette as one of the best things you can do to jazz up a batch of mashed spuds - whether it's for mash as a side dish, or as a topping for a fish pie or similar - fucking lush. Grate the courgette (about half an average size courgette works for 2 portions of mash) into the pan of spuds for about the last 5 mins of cooking time, then drain and mash with your usual choice of butter/milk/non-dairy alternative and a load of black pepper, bit of mustard works well with it too.
First time I had courgette was when I was 8. My uncle had grown loads of them and gave mam bags and bags of them. We were living in courgettes for weeks. Mam found a recipe for courgette soup that required garlic..and she loaded it into the soup. She froze a ton of it. I used to walk home from school at lunchtime and have a bowl of this soup... I'd return to school after lunch and it got to the stage where the others at my table would all say "courgett soup again?", as soon as they smelled the garlic. One used to hold his nose 😄
☺️ happy memories.

Roast turkey, roast potatoes, mashed potatoes, mashed carrots and parsnips, cabbage, herb and onion stuffing, and gravy...

Followed by tiramisu.

And the most deliciously light kinder bueno cake made by a local bakery. The filling and icing which looked like it would be butter cream was NOT...it was like a delicate mousse. I kid you not...it was unbelievably light and delicious and its all gone now.

I wanted chicken thigh fillets stuffed with herby garlicky cream cheese (the Lidl stuff is like cream cheese crack tbf) and wrapped with bacon, served with roast new potatoes and root veg.
However when my order arrived yesterday, it looks like Morrison's have given up properly butchering and deboning chicken thighs so they are left in a stuffable/rollable form, but I instead have a box of mangled chicken thigh meat with no discernible shape, so probably offcuts (although it never used to be thus, been ordering these for years).

So I am probably going to have chicken cacciatore with rice or mash.

Thank you Morrison's for ballsing up my budget Easter Sunday dinner.

it looks like Morrison's have given up properly butchering and deboning chicken thighs so they are left in a stuffable/rollable form, but I instead have a box of mangled chicken thigh meat with no discernible shape, so probably offcuts (although it never used to be thus, been ordering these for years).
That doesn't sound right at all, I would be putting in for a refund on it, they gave me a £20 piece of meat for free after giving me the wrong cut and this is far worse. Boneless thighs are supposed to be just boned out, not be bits and pieces of leftovers.

Made a massive pot of ragu type sauce, really heavy on tomatoes, litre of the stock I made and aromatics plus a kilo of fried off beef mince and soffrito fried off in all the remaining fat plus some butter and some other bits to balance it. Couldn't be arsed to do a white sauce for lasagne and mess about with layering it all by the end of it so did a big pack of spirali pasta and mixed it through and did a pasta bake, 4 stuffed people and 10 spare meals, result.

Now have to find something to do with all the budget veg I bought as I refuse to let it go to waste so large peeling session outside in the sun planned. May have to cook and freeze a lot of it but a few kilos of carrot and swede mash made up, few big trays of gratin type things depending on what I can find which can then sit in the freezer til they are needed while we give up and eat more lasagne and whatever else lol. Is part of a roast made for next time tho. Think I will make up another big salad bowl too that went down well and people were stuffing pitta breads/wraps with it and some bits or meat or whatever.

Caramelised red onion, feta and borlotti beans (with bay leaves and balsamic) topped with a 3 seed herby oaty crumble. Will have with crushed buttered skin-on spuds, green beans and veggie gravy.

Still got fit muffins but have my eye on the posh vanilla cheesecake I got earlier.

We had last night's leftovers for lunch.

Then for tea courgette, Romano pepper and chickpea curry with chapattis. The main flavour is cumin. It's a delicious curry, the courgette seeds are scraped out and made into a paste with spices. The outers are crisped up in the airfryer before being added to the curry.

I have a last piece of chocolate swiss roll left for afters. Button is eating 100% dark chocolate with zero added sugar

That doesn't sound right at all, I would be putting in for a refund on it, they gave me a £20 piece of meat for free after giving me the wrong cut and this is far worse. Boneless thighs are supposed to be just boned out, not be bits and pieces of leftovers.

Made a massive pot of ragu type sauce, really heavy on tomatoes, litre of the stock I made and aromatics plus a kilo of fried off beef mince and soffrito fried off in all the remaining fat plus some butter and some other bits to balance it. Couldn't be arsed to do a white sauce for lasagne and mess about with layering it all by the end of it so did a big pack of spirali pasta and mixed it through and did a pasta bake, 4 stuffed people and 10 spare meals, result.

Now have to find something to do with all the budget veg I bought as I refuse to let it go to waste so large peeling session outside in the sun planned. May have to cook and freeze a lot of it but a few kilos of carrot and swede mash made up, few big trays of gratin type things depending on what I can find which can then sit in the freezer til they are needed while we give up and eat more lasagne and whatever else lol. Is part of a roast made for next time tho. Think I will make up another big salad bowl too that went down well and people were stuffing pitta breads/wraps with it and some bits or meat or whatever.
Well we did 4kg of potatoes then started drinking. At least we have lasagne

We're having proper Easterish/Spring type dinner today as N is now off work for the next week. Haven't started cooking yet as he's catching up on his laundry and trying out his new popcorn maker but I'll start in a bit when he's finished.

We're having: Salmon, new potatoes steamed then crushed then roasted, carrots roasted with honey, steamed kale and broccoli.
Also bought a massive apple strudel in Lidl earlier which we might have for afters if we have room/energy/time

We're having proper Easterish/Spring type dinner today as N is now off work for the next week. Haven't started cooking yet as he's catching up on his laundry and trying out his new popcorn maker but I'll start in a bit when he's finished.

We're having: Salmon, new potatoes steamed then crushed then roasted, carrots roasted with honey, steamed kale and broccoli.
Also bought a massive apple strudel in Lidl earlier which we might have for afters if we have room/energy/time
This was very late in the end as there was a bit of a laundry emergency that resulted in some water on the kitchen floor - but it was absolutely fucking lush - I remembered I had parsnips and swede also so roasted some of those too.
Nice salmon fillets from Lidl, got the bag of 6 and will freeze the others for use over the next few weeks - small fillets but very nice, lots of spuds and veggies.

Back
Top Bottom