Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I have days like that too, I do all the cooking - I mean it's fair enough because N works and I don't but I sometimes just feel like I'm sat at a conveyor belt of meal provision (and as much as I love cooking, that can suck all the joy out of it if you're not in the mood).
Tonight I got to a "fuck it, can't be bothered to cook for myself" point, then realised I'd already started soaking lentils so might as well just get on with it.
I mean quite a lot of days we just do our own thing, different times and that. Just seems like when it is bulk everyone is using or anything cooked fresh that night which includes that too, then its like 90% of the time me. Not working currently but this wasn't all that different when I was. We actually have things reasonably shared out between us overall just had enough of that in particular yesterday with people not using the food we have and complaining x or y isn't there when we could eat for a month in just pre cooked microwave ready meals I made.

Today was some dough L*** something I want to say? I can't remember the name of, same lidl type bag as the dumplings so I guess polish? Left defrost in some oil and they puffed up then flat fried a few each to make monster toasties, cheese, ham, chives, s+p/bit of mustard/etc for some. Think we got 8 bits out of a bag with 2 being a large one as a sandwich and it was a quid or so a pack a while back and has lasted fine.

I've done lots of fun cooking today. Mushrooms and scrambled egg for breakfast. Then I did some batch cooking for the week's lunches - salmon, roasted broccoli, bulgar wheat with vermicelli, rusted red peppers and home-pickled cucumber. Then for dinner daughter helped me make Quorn mince and green lentil cottage pie, roast parsnips and peas.

Attachments

• IMG_20240128_185914.jpg
    IMG_20240128_185914.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240128_140144.jpg
    IMG_20240128_140144.jpg
    264 KB · Views: 12
Haggis (meat and veggie ones), clapshot, pointed cabbage, Yorkshire puddings because the Dutch person here had never tried them, instant gravy because whisky sauce was too much hassle when I was running back and forth cooking in two kitchens and it'd just started pissing down. Made the clapshot with a mix of smooth mash and tiny mashed up roast potatoes this time and it worked really well. Cranachan after.

Massively overcatered because I always forget most people don't eat like I do, so there's loads of leftovers and an entire clootie dumpling that didn't even get started on.

Monday and Tuesday are typically N's nights off, so I had planned to do a massive Chinese fakeaway for us - however he was offered a shift tonight at short notice and we need the money.
So I might cook my chicken stir fry tonight and a load of plain rice in veg stock - enough for me to have a portion as is tonight, and the rest to put in the fridge for egg fried rice for both of us tomorrow.

I prefer a decent jackfruit pie to a steak one!
I mean I eat meat, but so many commercially produced steak pies seem to involve mostly gravy, then gristle, then steak in that order.
2 out of 3 of those are fine by me, but I tend to avoid steak pies unless they are served somewhere I know is really good at steak pies (or made myself).
I haven't had a Pieminster steak one tbh, but yeah I tend to go for either chicken pies or mushroom pies unless I know a steak one is going to completely knock it out of the park.

I mean I eat meat, but so many commercially produced steak pies seem to involve mostly gravy, then gristle, then steak in that order.
2 out of 3 of those are fine by me, but I tend to avoid steak pies unless they are served somewhere I know is really good at steak pies (or made myself).
I haven't had a Pieminster steak one tbh, but yeah I tend to go for either chicken pies or mushroom pies unless I know a steak one is going to completely knock it out of the park.
Yes I avoid steak pies for that reason too! I can't abide gristle, ugh ugh ugh

Love a pie in general though!

Tonight I had toast as was home late from bastard meetings. Had left a slightly uninspired pasta bake for the kids which they were fine with but just didn't fancy it when I got back.

Fingers crossed for a better tea tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom