Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Fuck all I imagine, unless I fancy waiting for food to cook in the microwave. Have a huge amount of food frozen in meal portions, like 70 odd I think now, Italian, few Indian chickpea variations, few Bangladeshi, chili, veg chili, various mexican dishes but it just seems a disappointment. Have a dozen eggs that need using tho so mayve that but a bit fed up not being able to use non stick cos of the parrots and whatever I do my cast iron is not super slidey and just sticks with eggs.

Maybe fry up a pile of bacon and then do a spanish omelette with some added and whatever veg, someone ruined the seasoning on it and i have repeatedly tried to fix it but it doesn't seem to help enough to make a difference. Fancy doing something bread based but I simply cannot be arsed to make the effort to do a thick split piadina with cheese and chives. Was always a morning food and now I have to be at kids paintball in the morning, no thanks to that before 9 on a sat.

Pasta this afternoon.
Penne, and a tomato based sauce containing bacon and hot dog sausages for me, while OH's version will have prawns and mushrooms.

Penne with creamy chicken/pesto/parmesan sauce, garlic bread, salad: homemade mince pies and ice cream for afters.

Don't normally cook with cream, but thought I'd try a pork tenderloin thing with a mustard cream sauce. Except I've just realised I've got single not double. I can just thicken it with potato starch right?

Also what do people do with the rest of the cream when they buy it for cooking? Freeze it?

In coffee, hot chocolate, over some warm mince pies, make a nice pasta dish involving cream for tea the next day (alfredo, mushrooms and cream, chicken tarragon & cream, green pesto & cream, prawn linguine etc.)

Single cream should work OK in a sauce, where fat content makes a massive difference is if you're whipping it and expecting it to fluff up. And yeah if you need to thicken then I'd tend to go for some of the starchy water you've cooked spuds or pasta in first, if not then a cornflour slurry or whatever you usually use. Couple of grates of parmesan is also a favoured method of mine to thicken a cream based sauce, depends what you're having it with whether that will work in terms of flavours of course - that tends to work well for pasta dishes involving mushrooms or spinach etc. which you would tend to have a bit of parmesan on top of anyway.

Last edited:
Was going to make this.

The secret ingredient is a beef stock cube. This had an extra secret ingredient though because I had no flour. Also no cornflour so substituted custard powder!

Everyone looked at me askance but it turned out fine. Dad said it was delicious but I'll surely be burned as a witch!

Made what we have decided is the Palestinian equivalent of cauliflower cheese - comfort food involving cauliflower and dairy, at any rate. Labneh rice, roast cauliflower and a drizzle of olive oil with garlic and coriander seed. Not quite as insanely rich as I feared, quite moreish but stopped myself eating it as I think it might be one of those things like fried halloumi where it's tasty so it's easy to overeat it and feel a bit sick.

20231217_191014.jpg

Back
Top Bottom