Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

It shall be lasagne, and if it isn't I will be furious and perhaps become a shubbery, being as I was supposed to make it yesterday and it went wrong for badly labelled stock reasons. Then I made it all over again today, apparently I am the only one eating it now and I made like 12kg but I don't care. I am having a fucking lasagne, just need to do the bechamel as its been nicely simmering a few hours after all the prep, just the mirepoix was 3kg lol. I may eat nothing but lasagne for some time simply out of sheer bloody mindedness.
Well I made the lasagne and it was so ridiculously large I ended up with us having pasta and the sauce with the remains since by the time it was ready to bake 2 of us were left unfed so its in the fridge, along with 2 other boxes of sauce. Thing weighs a huge amount and has like 10 layers of pasta and a good 1kg of bechamel and cheese. Sauce tasted amazing so likely baked over the weekend and then divided into boxes for the freezer as spares.

Well I made the lasagne and it was so ridiculously large I ended up with us having pasta and the sauce with the remains since by the time it was ready to bake 2 of us were left unfed so its in the fridge, along with 2 other boxes of sauce. Thing weighs a huge amount and has like 10 layers of pasta and a good 1kg of bechamel and cheese. Sauce tasted amazing so likely baked over the weekend and then divided into boxes for the freezer as spares.

10 layers? :D

You must have a seriously deep dish. I've been tempted to buy a dedicated lasagne tray to make deeper ones and I see some are advertised as fitting supermarket sheets exactly...

Anyway just bangers and mash for us tonight. Carrots from the veg box were seriously dirts. Guess it must have been a wet week when they were harvested...

Does anyone else boil their veg in a stock cube and then use for it the gravy? I've got quite into doing this. But leaving out the butter as we are supposed to be watching our weight.

10 layers? :D

You must have a seriously deep dish. I've been tempted to buy a dedicated lasagne tray to make deeper ones and I see some are advertised as fitting supermarket sheets exactly...
Yeh lol it used 2kg of dried lasagne sheets, I also did thin layers as it was sitting afterwards to absorb, had an amazing one in Italy on a ski slope and went there for half the week for lunch, packed with flavour but also lots of layers, that was veal tho and this was beef and pork.

Tried lifting the pan earlier and it was a struggle with my left hand lol whereas I have 15kg kettlebells that are no issue. (weird angle and grip of course but still)

Anyway just bangers and mash for us tonight. Carrots from the veg box were seriously dirts. Guess it must have been a wet week when they were harvested...

Does anyone else boil their veg in a stock cube and then use for it the gravy? I've got quite into doing this. But leaving out the butter as we are supposed to be watching our weight.
Tend to roast all veg now but anything thats starchy gets stock of some kind. Which is usually homemade and also has been roasted then boiled before. Actually ran out so I have to buy more chickens or get to the butchers tho they are better for beef or pork bones.

Stock boiled with veg scraps, meat scraps and whatever else I produced, strained then reduced does get used a lot tho. Did the Heston consomme freeze thaw chicken thing before and that came out incredibly clear.

I ordered potatoes as part of my grocery delivery yesterday without realising that I had an unopened bag of spuds already - so I just did early tea for us both before OH sods off to work consisting of:

Potato skins stuffed with spring onion and cheddar
Potato wedges cooked with a home made fajita spice mix
Air fryer fries
Salad
Pork chop for me
Mozzarella sticks for OH.

I was a bit laser focused on finding him pickles without sugar (any suggestions gratefully received) and missed him describing how he was doing the topping for the cottage pie.

He did 3 jacket potatoes in the airfryer, stopped out the centres for the pie topping and loaded up the skins with cheese and airfried those. Oh my word, delicious starter!

Cooking freekah for the first time. My OH has to bring food in for some office thing. I helped her make a wheat berry salad last year and it was requested again! Except I could find any wheat berries locally, so I'm using this. Seems to cook in a sane amount of time as well.

Doing some lamb meatballs and new spuds with for our meal with harrisa I bought back from Tunisia earlier this year :cool:

Yeh lol it used 2kg of dried lasagne sheets, I also did thin layers as it was sitting afterwards to absorb, had an amazing one in Italy on a ski slope and went there for half the week for lunch, packed with flavour but also lots of layers, that was veal tho and this was beef and pork.

Tried lifting the pan earlier and it was a struggle with my left hand lol whereas I have 15kg kettlebells that are no issue. (weird angle and grip of course but still)
I was wrong! Recounted it and it was 8 layers.20231210_191759.jpg

I was wrong! Recounted it and it was 8 layers.View attachment 403988

That is still a lot of layers!

Looks lovely. I rarely make lasagne because tbh it is a massive amount of faff.
Making a large quantity makes a lot of sense because of the initial effort involved - if you're getting several meals out of it, it turns from just spent hours putting this together and it's gone in 15 minutes, to a worthwhile effort.

That is still a lot of layers!

Looks lovely. I rarely make lasagne because tbh it is a massive amount of faff.
Making a large quantity makes a lot of sense because of the initial effort involved - if you're getting several meals out of it, it turns from just spent hours putting this together and it's gone in 15 minutes, to a worthwhile effort.
I stick the tomatoes, stock and tomato paste on low, fry off the quic chopped bacon, then mince while chopping veg and then sauté onions, celery and carrots, adding herbs on low i can leave to get going on. Keep the fat each time then use whatever is left for the bechamel, butter, milk, flour and more stock then a few types of cheese. Pasta is all boxed now, so cheap and easy layering with fine sauce. Layer up as bechamel is going. Add whatever is left.

That's like 12kg of ingredients and about £15 for 12 good servings. Too much portion size for some it seems.

Does take a few hours just with prep so we usually split it and watch a film or something and take gaps for slower cooking stuff while I use a bunch of pans at the same time. Cooker is fucked but it works so whatever lol. Also means for 3 of us eating it it's 4 days meals minimum but with extra meals frozen that lasts longer.

Do take similar for most stuff but always bulk cook. Freezers have about 65 meals now. Now need to sort out what to do with 2 squash. Probably roasted with something, sweet potatoes and buttered corn on the cob maybe some mixed bean's and a sauce.

Back
Top Bottom