Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Probably not at the right time for most, but due to differing schedules, a meal I would call tea:

Been ill for days and not really felt like cooking and eating, just spent days propped on the sofa and getting sleep when I was able.
A couple of hours ago I suddenly started feeling more back to normal, burst of energy instead of just wanting to sleep for the forseeable, with a real hankering for a proper meal - so I'm doing a sausage casserole and mash with leeks in it :eek:

Probably not at the right time for most, but due to differing schedules, a meal I would call tea:

Been ill for days and not really felt like cooking and eating, just spent days propped on the sofa and getting sleep when I was able.
A couple of hours ago I suddenly started feeling more back to normal, burst of energy instead of just wanting to sleep for the forseeable, with a real hankering for a proper meal - so I'm doing a sausage casserole and mash with leeks in it :eek:
I like the sound of leeks in the mash! Glad you’ve perked up enough to want to cook.

I like the sound of leeks in the mash! Glad you’ve perked up enough to want to cook.

Spuds and leeks is just one of those classic pairings, normally I'd sautée the finely chopped leeks in some butter and stir it all into the mashed spud, but as I'm still low on energy I just did a quick (and less washing up) version where I dumped the chopped leeks into the pan where the potatoes are boiling for the last few minutes of their cooking time, which is a bit quicker although not quite as good because you don't get any caramelisation on the leeks. Still works though :)

I'm quite fond of leeks because they keep for a long time, even if the outer layer dries out I just peel it off and it is fine underneath.

Bailed out of the beer fest we were volunteering at a couple of hours early because it was bloody freezing so now have time for a proper dinner - tofish (tofu marinated, battered and deep fried a while ago and frozen), chips (well, more wedges), mushy peas (lots of pepper) and tartare (homemade vegan mayo, capers, onion and gherkins, not a fan of dill).

The last two nights have been crappy airport sandwiches but home tonight so made a tandoori half chicken and a lentil and pumpkin side dish. Pretty nice. Also have a good stock going with the chicken carcass overnight so chicken noodle soup tomorrow.

I'm making chicken tikka, butternut and kale curry, rice and (shop bought) naans. And some raita.

These both sound awesome.

Back
Top Bottom