Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Pea and ham soup.

Ages since I made this, but I bought some super bright split peas and a piece of smoked gammon.

It's been brewing all afternoon, so I'm going to add a few chunks of carrot for a little 'bite'.

Should last a few days.

I love this. I've done it with ham hock a few times, which is lovely, but really a bit to much faff. Tried it with bacon which worked, I'll have to give it a go with gammon.

Tonight I had
Lamb cutlets in a yogurt and cumin marinade. Roasted beetroot, carrots, garlic, sprouts, red onions. Mash. And a gravy made with Dragon Stout.
And as I’m saying this I realise I forgot to plate the cavallo nero. Oh well, that’s the basis for a salad tomorrow.

Thai style fakeaway tonight - a chicken and cashew dish for me, prawn version for OH, a fried rice dish to share.

Last night as she was in London for a meeting, we met up with OH's sister in The Warwick Castle.
OH got called in for a night shift at the last minute though and needed to eat before work so we got some food there - he had a very excellent vegan cheeseburger with fries, and I had the fish & chips.
A bit on the pricey side but very nice.

Not sure about tonight yet.

Tagine made with peppers, onions, garlic, aubergines, courgettes, apricots, tomatoes, homecooked chickpeas (mmm buttery nuttiness!), harissa paste and fresh coriander. Will have with brown rice.

I'm hankering after homebaked ginger biscuits too, so might make some of them if I can be arsed by the time hometime rolls around. Leftover Roses if not.

I made some potato skins stuffed with cheese, leeks and spring onions - absolutely fucking lush, I thought I'd made enough for the freezer but not a single one made it that far!
I had a supermarket chicken kyiv with mine, OH had a tuna steak. We both had tomato and olive salad and sour cream to go with.

It shall be lasagne, and if it isn't I will be furious and perhaps become a shubbery, being as I was supposed to make it yesterday and it went wrong for badly labelled stock reasons. Then I made it all over again today, apparently I am the only one eating it now and I made like 12kg but I don't care. I am having a fucking lasagne, just need to do the bechamel as its been nicely simmering a few hours after all the prep, just the mirepoix was 3kg lol. I may eat nothing but lasagne for some time simply out of sheer bloody mindedness.

tonight It’s sort of koftas (made from paxo plant meatball mix) with homemade flatbreads, tzatziki, Muhamara (made with Brazil nuts as no walnuts in), fried potatoes and mushrooms.

Attachments

• IMG_0817.jpeg
    IMG_0817.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 3
Last night I made the saag aloo shepherd's pie from Anna Jones's One. I don't think I'd bother again as it was quite long and complex and not all that really. Not helped by my using red potatoes so the two layers looked the same.

I'm hankering after homebaked ginger biscuits too, so might make some of them if I can be arsed by the time hometime rolls around.
Well I made them, but they turned out to be more like flattish ginger cakes rather than the crisp biccies I had in mind. Once again, a BBC Good Food recipe is a bit shit. Dough was wayyyy too wet! Wasn't even dough, I had to spoon the fucker onto the baking tray.

Oh well. They taste gorgeous, just not crisp at all.

Back
Top Bottom