Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Well not a bloody takeaway, fed up with this coming up every time its friday and there has been a drink. None of the places are actually that great apart from the Nepalese/Indian one and that would come to about how much we just spent on a weeks shopping for 4 people (£80, Indian comes in around £60ish then we end up with leftovers for 3 days, what was the point in getting fresh ingredients in????). Always gets suggested as a "joke" but if I say yes then it happens so not really, don't really want to be the gatekeeper on this whenever it comes up.

Looking forward to making some huge something or other tomorrow, may have to go soak some beans and chick peas tho. Thinking a bulk bangladeshi chick pea curry, maybe 5l in the stock pot, then similar for a chili with kidney/pinto/black beans, have to use the slow cooker tho for that tho as the other big pan has 8l of chicken stock in it that I ran out of boxes for. Was planning on doing the heston style consomme thaw filter but I have no cloth and I desperately need that pan back.

Whereas I now fancy garlic chicken with mash and veggies :D

I love this thread.

Haven't decided yet, but I have some chicken breasts that either need to be used or frozen (well some of them will be frozen regardless), and a load of mushrooms - so probably the chicken and mushrooms in black bean sauce with rice that I fancied but completely failed to cook last night.

Although it might now be garlic chicken and mushrooms with new potatoes :D

Turned out the spuds needed using (I'm a bit of a potato variety snob and I think these "Paris" ones are a bit more eager to sprout than the "Maris Peer" I usually get as small spuds but they didn't have any Peers so I've got these instead and they're like "wehey, time to start sprouting" almost as soon as I got them home!)

But still had a bit of a (further) change of plan - chicken chasseur with crushed baby spuds.

Black pudding supper from the chip van. Gonna bring one of the cheese scones I just made, to make a sandwich with the pudding :thumbs: Could really use a fried egg on top and/or baked beans on the side, but the chips and batter would be cold and soggy by the time I got home :/

Gonna treat meself to fish, chips n mushy peas in a minute.

Then a slice of the chocolate olive oil cake I made, that's lathered in cocoa/icing sugar glaze, with raspberries. Very excited to try the cake. The nibble I pinched last night tasted ace. It's a mahoosive blood sugar spike on a plate, mind 😄

Chilli, tacos, cheese, avocado. All that good stuff.

Except I've been ill and suspect my taste buds aren't working as they should. I thew a pack of birds eye chillis in with a kilo of mince and as it didn't seem to be kicking much added lots of cayenne pepper and psycho juice (a hot sauce even I don't like to add direct to food). Think it tastes right, but wonder what future me will think of the freezer portions.

That's a ridiculously Scottish tea,me arteries are bulging just looking at it 😄😄
I often get some combination of deep fried battered haggis / a pattie (potato mixed with a bit of mince and onion, in batter) as well as chips / bag of homemade tablet from the van / can of irn bru from the shop over the road while I wait. Pretty sure there's been weeks when I've gone full Scottish and got all four :D

We had to go to Stratford late afternoon to pick up a few bits and pieces (OK, mostly to raid Wilko - there wasn't much left tbf and the staff clearly had no fucks left to give, can't blame them for that! Also for OH to spend a gift card from work on some new headphones from Argos, pick up some mobile phone screen protectors from one of the many mobile phone shops, and get a couple of small gifts - art supplies mostly - for my niece and nephew who I am seeing tomorrow for the first time in ages) and had a cheeky Wendys - Dave Single for me, Curry Beanburger for OH, fries each.

Just stopped working for an early, unplanned first tea because I found some shaggy inkcaps at the perfect stage to pick. So those, half a leek and a bit of leaf beet steam-fried in their own liquid with just a tiny bit of butter, couple of almost microscopic garlic cloves rubbed round the pan at the start and left in to cook with the veg and a splash of double cream added at the end. So fucking good, I only stopped licking the pan clean because I was gonna start taking the non-stick off :oops:

Need to eat some more of the runner bean, sweetcorn and tomato curry later. I keep avoiding it because I've made something else nicer.

Back
Top Bottom