Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Kebab fakeaway (finally!)

Chicken in a spicy yoghurt marinade for me, Vivera vegan Shawarma strips for OH. Salad, chips, pitta, large green chillies (roasted), chilli sauce, garlic sauce.
Chicken shawarma was the kid introduction to that areas food and went down so well 2 days food went down in 2 hours. There was a Syrian guy doing pop ups thay went insanely well and he got a proper cafe/supermarket with butcher sorted out in a good position on a local High Street. Then covid hit pretty much immediately. Review on the place were better than any other apart from the established south African place.

Chicken shawarma was the kid introduction to that areas food and went down so well 2 days food went down in 2 hours. There was a Syrian guy doing pop ups thay went insanely well and he got a proper cafe/supermarket with butcher sorted out in a good position on a local High Street. Then covid hit pretty much immediately. Review on the place were better than any other apart from the established south African place.

I love a kebab, I tend to go for chicken shish or chicken souvlaki type things.
I impressed myself with the home made deal (especially since I don't have a proper open flame grill type deal to cook it on, so opted for a very heavy steel pan over a high heat to get some charring on the meat) and it was pretty easy.
There's also plenty of veggie or fish options for OH - the vegan shawarma stuff is a firm favourite, but also falafels or skewers with firm white fish or prawns/peppers/onion also go down well with him, so it's fairly easy on that score.
Will do again.

I took a photo but it was a bit shit, out of focus.
The chips are just oven chips done in the air fryer and the pitta are from a packet which makes it a super quick meal

Attachments

• IMG_20231001_175150_877.jpg
    IMG_20231001_175150_877.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 20
I did spaghetti with prawns/garlic/cream/tomatoes/chilli flakes, with some garlic bread.
McVities Jamaican Ginger Cake for afters - heated up with tinned custard.
Speed was of the essence tonight due to OH's work shifts!

Tonight - probably Dahl (leftovers from the weekend, spinach and tomato split pea) and chips (recently dug up the rest of the potatoes.) which partner had last night (while I was at work eating pretty full reheated orzo) and said was epic.

Apparently it's national curry week :thumbs: I'm making something along the lines of these recipes to use some of the runner bean glut - will do a few portions for the freezer too.

Too hungry to wait while that cooks though, so pasta tonight. Roasted some yellow courgette and tomatoes earlier and I'll chuck those in with some spinach foglie d'ulivo pasta, more runner beans and lemon basil pesto.

Probably lentil/squash curry. Not had meat in like 5 days. Is it usual to feel this ridiculously bloated? Feel like I'm shitting out 20 years of food and also containing it.

Probably lentil/squash curry. Not had meat in like 5 days. Is it usual to feel this ridiculously bloated? Feel like I'm shitting out 20 years of food and also containing it.

Depends what you've been eating, if it is very pulse heavy it can be a bit gassy, and some people cannot tolerate quorn or a large quantity of soya products - quorn utterly does me in tbf.

Depends what you've been eating, if it is very pulse heavy it can be a bit gassy, and some people cannot tolerate quorn or a large quantity of soya products - quorn utterly does me in tbf.
Lots of chickpeas, beans, wheat, bran and rice mostly with various veg, sweet potatoes, potatoes, corn, carrots, onions etc. Nothing unusual just no meat and extra veg, loads of herbs/spices but that's the same as usual, just no chicken and mince which were the main ones since budget. Wondering if its just higher volume of food.

Quorn I've been fine with for ages but not eaten recently, not had a lot of soy stuff as I never really liked it. It's more same food but minus the meat and extra other ingredients.

Lots of chickpeas, beans, wheat, bran and rice mostly with various veg, sweet potatoes, potatoes, corn, carrots, onions etc. Nothing unusual just no meat and extra veg, loads of herbs/spices but that's the same as usual, just no chicken and mince which were the main ones since budget. Wondering if its just higher volume of food.

Quorn I've been fine with for ages but not eaten recently, not had a lot of soy stuff as I never really liked it. It's more same food but minus the meat and extra other ingredients.

If you're feeling bloated it could well be that you've got a bit of an intolerance to one or more of those things if you're eating more than them as usual - however if it continues, do seek medical advice - although it is probably diet related as it has coincided with a change in diet, feeling bloated can be a symptom of more sinister stuff - so don't let it go without investigation if it continues.

Back
Top Bottom