Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

I took daughter and her friend out for lunch at Mildred's they shared the vegan nachos and I had fried artichoke to start. They had pulled pok (not pork)! burgers and chips and I had shitake tempeh noodles, which was DELICIOUS.

For tea Santino did a small roast pork joint and a pea and potato hash.

Feel like crap so plain chicken and rice.
Oh dear, what's up?

I'm having a much better tea today: stir fried red cabbage with prawns and cashew nuts, and jasmine rice. I've taken to doing stir fries with star anise and soy sauce, which is delicious. Today I looked up what the other ingredients of Chinese 5 spice are and as I had most of them I added those too - ground cloves, fennel seeds, cinnamon and a bit of non-Szechuan black pepper.

Last night did a "staff" curry. Certainly one of my favourites and great value as it uses chicken on the bone. Came in from walking the dog this morning and could still smell curry. :D

Experimenting tonight. I'm doing a big batch of chilli in the slow cooker with a couple of pork shoulders in. When they're done I'm going to shred the meat and add it back to the chilli. Hope it's good as there is going to be a lot of freezer portions.

I got carried away buying beans in huge quantities a few years ago and think I might have gone a bit mad as I've still got a fair few. Even with the pressure cooker, some of them are taking quite a long time to cook.

Last night did a "staff" curry. Certainly one of my favourites and great value as it uses chicken on the bone. Came in from walking the dog this morning and could still smell curry. :D

Experimenting tonight. I'm doing a big batch of chilli in the slow cooker with a couple of pork shoulders in. When they're done I'm going to shred the meat and add it back to the chilli. Hope it's good as there is going to be a lot of freezer portions.

I got carried away buying beans in huge quantities a few years ago and think I might have gone a bit mad as I've still got a fair few. Even with the pressure cooker, some of them are taking quite a long time to cook.

Add a small amount of bicarb to the water for stale beans to improve the cooking time (they do get to a point where they will remain bullet-like no matter what you do though!)

We’re going to the cinema later so quick dinner. Lamb kebabs, veg rice and corn on the cob.

Popcorn and ice cream for pudding. 👍

Add a small amount of bicarb to the water for stale beans to improve the cooking time (they do get to a point where they will remain bullet-like no matter what you do though!)

Nice one. Some will have to be thrown I suspect, but some are definitely salvageable. They hark back to a time when I had more time to cook. :(

Well I am defrosting a chicken breast and I am planning on doing a lo-mein type dish.
In addition to the chicken, I have mushrooms, a carrot, a red pepper and some celery. Dried egg noodles.
I'll do a version without the chicken for OH to nuke in a bowl when he gets home from work in the morning.
He looked disappointed about no egg fried rice but we are out of eggs.

This may not actually happen as I had a very odd night of sleep (or rather not much sleep) last night and have had a beer this afternoon, so I might just go for an early kip and do dinner in the morning. Having a partner working nights all the time can be a bit of a mess, sometimes I seriously have no other driving motive to cook in the evening.

Well I am defrosting a chicken breast and I am planning on doing a lo-mein type dish.
In addition to the chicken, I have mushrooms, a carrot, a red pepper and some celery. Dried egg noodles.
I'll do a version without the chicken for OH to nuke in a bowl when he gets home from work in the morning.
He looked disappointed about no egg fried rice but we are out of eggs.

This may not actually happen as I had a very odd night of sleep (or rather not much sleep) last night and have had a beer this afternoon, so I might just go for an early kip and do dinner in the morning. Having a partner working nights all the time can be a bit of a mess, sometimes I seriously have no other driving motive to cook in the evening.

I can understand that. I'm far less likely to put effort in if it's just going to me who sits down to eat afterwards.

I can understand that. I'm far less likely to put effort in if it's just going to me who sits down to eat afterwards.

I mean most nights I do, I love cooking and I love eating so will do for myself and I'll make something for OH to have in the morning either heated up on the hob or in the microwave (he does 10 to 12 hour night shifts with a very long commute so doesn't have time to do for himself much beyond frozen pizza, crisp sarnies, and instant noodles), but quite right sometimes I just go "fuck it I really can't be arsed tonight". Sometimes the drive of doing dinner for someone who is sitting in the same room and I have promised them food is a big driving force!

Broccoli, avocado, red onion, black bean, brown basmati, chilli and lime traybake.

Dark choc cornflake cakes with Terry's mini eggs.
Jinx on the cakes! daughter has friends over so we made these whilst I banged on about British traditional foods and everyone rolled their eyes :D Homemade pizza where they added their own toppings and I ate the leftovers for the pre-cake course.

Last night was salmon with broccoli and baby potatoes,followed by chocolate trifle.mr poppy the younger had two fish in batter with chips and strawberry's for afters.The fish were quite small hence the need for extras .

Despite my objections last night, yet more bloody takeaway, we just got a Tesco delivery! So probably reheated pizza and regret. Kicker is, tomorrow is Easter Sunday, where we all go to my MIL's, despite protestations, then order Dominos. So thats 3 takeaways on a week I specifically said we need to stop ordering them.....

The lo-mein I was going to make last night didn't happen in the end so I'll do that tonight. Same plan - chicken, mushroom, red pepper, carrot, celery, onion, garlic, ginger, egg noodles. Version without the chicken for OH to nuke in the morning. Still no egg fried rice because despite being in the supermarket today I forgot to buy eggs.

I'm also going to make some potato salad as I might be going to a thing with a barbecue tomorrow night and that's a nice easy side to bring but if I don't do it tonight it won't get done.

Back
Top Bottom