Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Saturday was our BIG GREEDY takeaway for my son's birthday. Omg, so much food :oops: :D
Sunday - kids had leftovers and I had new potatoes with camembert and asparagus. More birthday cheesecake for pudding.
Today - Peanut stew with chicken/chickpeas, rice and broccoli and the last of the cheesecake.

All on hold for now as my girl has gone to London for the day with her mates and is not back yet - and my lovely boy is finishing putting together the fancy gaming PC he has paid for and built, for HER birthday (in April), so I have also spent the day moving her room around to squeeze it all in.
He is waiting on one last part to be delivered, and she's not on the train yet, so we are hoping it will arrive soon :hmm: to have time for him to to get it all done and installed before she gets back! :)

I wasn't feeling hungry earlier after a late lunch, but am starting to feel peckish and considering cooking something.

Will be a one pot rice dish with stuff that needs using up - bacon, onion, celery, bit of carrot, a bit of a red pepper, half a tin of red kidney beans - with some garlic, chilli flakes, herbs, splosh of white wine etc.

Vegan Naan
  • 3/4 cup warm water
  • 1 tsp fast yeast
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 3 tbsp soy milk, curdled with 1 tsp cider vinegar (mix and set aside for 10 mins till thickened)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 cups plain flour
  • 1 tsp fine sea salt
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp nigella seeds
  • Butter/garlic 'butter' to serve

• Put the warm water in a small bowl and and add yeast and sugar. Stir and set aside until frothy and foamy – about 10 minutes.
  • In the meantime, put flour, salt, baking powder and nigella seeds into a large mixing bowl and mix to combine.
  • Once the yeast mixture is foaming, add the curdled milk and oil and stir to combine.
  • Add to dry ingredients and use a fork to mix – the dough will be sticky. Mix to a soft, sticky dough.
  • Turn onto a floured surface and add just enough flour to gently knead for 5 turns and form into a loose ball. Place back in mixing bowl and rub with a bit more oil and turn to coat. Cover with a damp towel or plastic wrap and set in a warm place for at least 2 hours (up to 4 hours). (I left mine all day)
  • Remove dough from bowl and turn onto a floured surface. Knead for 30 seconds (adding additional flour if sticky). Then divide into 4 even pieces with hands or a knife.
  • Shape each piece into a ball. Cover and let rest for 10 minutes.
  • Once the dough has rested, begin heating a cast-iron pan (not non-stick) over medium heat. Take a piece of dough roll out into an oval or circle with a rolling pin. It should be quite thin. Stretch it a bit as you put it into the hot pan. I used a paella pan as I wanted to make big ones.
  • Cook until bubbling all over the top, and the underside is browning. flip and cook the other side. If you have a gas hob, instead cook the second side over naked flame, moving it about with hands or tongs so it doesn't catch fire, till it has dark brown spots.
  • Brush with butter to serve, you can add coriander or whatever.
I did the second side on the gas ring, and it was double delicious where the flame had caught slightly. Serve ASAP.

My turn to cook tonight and I'm dithering, so have been browsing the thread for inspiration. Really fancy a curry, but can I be arsed to make one? Or might do a courgette risotto...will decide in a bit.

Back
Top Bottom