Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Got my cooking head on tonight. Patatas bravas to start, followed by mushroom and spinach risotto. No work tomorrow so gonna crack open a bottle of wine too.
I've never had good patatas brava here and, therefore, fancy making some myself. What's you recipe? If you don't mind sharing it, of course.

Last edited:
Aren't you in Spain?

We're through the looking glass here. Someone in Espana asking an Englishman for his totally inauthentic, made up version of patatas bravas. But i'm happy to share it.
Yes I am. But they are often little more than cubed potatoes with mayo and a slightly spiced tomato sauce. I want them to be zingy, and spicy.

Having the relative luxury of cooking for one, but the expense of cooking with electricity, I like to fill the oven (or slow cooker) and cook enough for a few meals at a time on a day off. I’m not at all bothered if I eat the same meals two or three days in a row. The freezer is usually crammed full and a pot of something, or a tray of potatoes, can sit in the fridge and a portion can be reheated in minutes when I get home after an evening at work. I often pick up reduced bargains at the end of my shift and this determines what gets eaten that day or the next, and what goes in the freezer.

I've never had good patatas brava here and, therefore, fancy making some myself. What's you recipe? If you don't mind sharing it, of course.
Here you go:

Patatas Bravas

Ingredients
400g potatoes scrubbed or peeled
Olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 green chillies finely chopped
A tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp smoked paprika

Cut the potatoes into 1-2cm dice. Put in a roasting tray, cover with oil, sprinkle on salt.
Roast in a medium hot oven for 35-45 minutes until brown and crispy.
Meanwhile fry the onion in a pan for about 10 minutes until soft,
Add the garlic and chillies, fry for another 2 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, put some water in the empty tin and add that.
Add the sugar and paprika.
Simmer on a low heat for at least 20 minutes, adding more water if it gets too dry.
Season to taste.
Add tomatoes to potatoes.

Buen appetito!

If you want more spice or zing, adjust the chillies and paprika quantities.

Here you go:

Patatas Bravas

Ingredients
400g potatoes scrubbed or peeled
Olive oil
1 onion finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic finely chopped
2 green chillies finely chopped
A tin of chopped tomatoes
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp smoked paprika

Cut the potatoes into 1-2cm dice. Put in a roasting tray, cover with oil, sprinkle on salt.
Roast in a medium hot oven for 35-45 minutes until brown and crispy.
Meanwhile fry the onion in a pan for about 10 minutes until soft,
Add the garlic and chillies, fry for another 2 minutes.
Add the tomatoes, put some water in the empty tin and add that.
Add the sugar and paprika.
Simmer on a low heat for at least 20 minutes, adding more water if it gets too dry.
Season to taste.
Add tomatoes to potatoes.

Buen appetito!

If you want more spice or zing, adjust the chillies and paprika quantities.
Thank you. I'll try that this weekend and let you know how it goes. I will do a minor cheat and buy frozen patatas. It'll save time and effort. The sauce sounds good.

Back
Top Bottom