Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Well dinner didn't happen - OH is very set in his ways and has never really eaten Egyptian food before, I made the tahini sauce and gave him some on a teaspoon to try and he said it was "interesting" and that he thought I was making hummus so I basically said fuckit then, I'll continue to feed you your favourite 7 meals on a neverending rota for the rest of your life, but I am not going to present you with new dishes tonight so I'm not putting in any more effort. So I kind of threw my toys out of the pram. This isn't the first time I have been shot down when trying to introduce something new to the menu and I just wasn't in the mood to try to push through it tonight.

really fucked off

I might try again tomorrow night, I just didn't have the energy tonight. Anything I say right now is going to sound horrible, but I need some variety in my diet and I don't understand people who just want to eat the same things over and over again (especially not when due to schedules and workload I am going to be doing most of the cooking!)

nything I say right now is going to sound horrible, but I need some variety in my diet and I don't understand people who just want to eat the same things over and over again (especially not when due to schedules and workload I am going to be doing most of the cooking!)
I understand why people might think like that (and fair enough, and it doesn't sound horrible at all) but for me food is just fuel and I regularly eat the same thing. Makes life easier. I suspect a lot of people if they looked at their diet over a few weeks would see a clear pattern.

I understand why people might think like that (and fair enough, and it doesn't sound horrible at all) but for me food is just fuel and I regularly eat the same thing. Makes life easier. I suspect a lot of people if they looked at their diet over a few weeks would see a clear pattern.
I do tend to eat certain things on rotation as this thread probably reveals. Partly that's about not being arsed for just myself and partly lack of imagination, more than not wanting to. Maybe I should try a new recipe once a week though or something.

I might try again tomorrow night, I just didn't have the energy tonight. Anything I say right now is going to sound horrible, but I need some variety in my diet and I don't understand people who just want to eat the same things over and over again (especially not when due to schedules and workload I am going to be doing most of the cooking!)
i'm like that too, though i tend to eat the same things after about a month of different food. But am always trying out new recipes. I would never eat the same twice in a row.

I do tend to eat certain things on rotation as this thread probably reveals. Partly that's about not being arsed for just myself and partly lack of imagination, more than not wanting to. Maybe I should try a new recipe once a week though or something.
Life is too short to worry about if you're not eating enough variety of food - as long as you eat well and healthy that's the most important thing.

A veggie mate of mine used to eat nothing but cheese and tomato pizza - seemed happy enough.
I once lived in a Domino's Pizza place. Was about a month covering for a mate who owned the franchise. I ate (almost) only pizza apart from when I swapped pizza with the Indian next door. Was alright.

Life is too short to worry about if you're not eating enough variety of food - as long as you eat well and healthy that's the most important thing.
I think there's also something about the relentlessness of lockdown and winter. Normally I wouldn't be at home for every single meal. It's a bit deadening. Last lockdown I did a recipe box which was quite good for getting out of a rut. I can't really afford it at the moment though.

And actually I found even that started to repeat itself after a while, or be variations on a theme.

I have a personal collection of about 300 recipes that I rotate through (and am constantly adding to), though there are some favourites that get repeated of course. That way I rarely get bored.

A lot of the time I do tend to cook stuff that I could do in my sleep - I think that is fairly normal, when you've got a certain amount of time in which to cook and serve dinner, it is easier to do something that you know well. I do like to try out new things though, maybe not as often as I would like at the moment though, because although we have more time to cook and eat, we can't really afford to be either wasting ingredients because we didn't like something, or buying more expensive stuff than usual.

Back
Top Bottom