Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What's for tea tonight? (#8)

Baked potato, leeks in white sauce, grated cheddar on top, melted under the grill! :cool:

Is that what you're having or is it a suggestion sheo? Must be a suggestion - it wasn't 3 paragraphs long :D:p

Was actually thinking of something like that, but have to do fucking laundry too, and get all camping gear sorted out, so cannae be arsed with actual cooking

Oo, sounds good, cheers soj. Was just going to knock up a basic bechamel and flavour it up with something random out of the cupboard, but that Bengali jobby sounds nice.

No worries mate - it is really tasty this, but not very hot (you could always make it hotter if you want but I like the tastiness/fishiness :)) - oh and take no notice of the haddock bit, works great with tilapia

Maacher jhol (bengali fish curry)

Ingredients
500g haddock fillets, skinned
1/4 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp ground Cumin,
1 tsp ground Coriander,
2 green chillies, chopped
1/4 tsp Salt
handful coriander leaves, chopped
3 tbsp groundnut oil
For the sauce
1/4 tsp Cumin seeds
1/2 tsp brown orblack Mustard seeds
2 cloves Garlic, crushed
2 cm Ginger, grated
1 Onion, finely chopped
2 Tomatoes, roughly chopped

Method

1. Cut the fish into pieces, about 9cm long.

2. Combine the turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander, chillies, salt and half the coriander leaves. Coat the fish evenly with this spice mixture.

3. Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a frying pan set over a medium heat and fry the fish for 2 minutes on each side, until lightly browned. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper and set aside.

4. Heat the remaining oil in the same pan and add the cumin and mustard seeds. When they pop, add the garlic, ginger, onion, and tomatoes. Fry gently for 8 minutes.

5. Add about 200ml boiling water and stir to combine it with the masala.

6. Return the fish to the pan and simmer for 10-12 minutes, or until the sauce has slightly thickened and the fish is cooked.

Excellent! Will give it a go tonight. Ta v much!:cool:

:) I sometimes do this to go with it too:

Bengali Vegetable Curry

(Curry of potato, aubergine, pumpkin & peas)

Method
Heat ghee and fry the mustard seeds, fenugreek, fennel, cumin, paprika and bay leaf. When the mustard seeds splutter, add the potatoes and fry for a few minutes then add the rest of the vegetables. Stir fry for five minutes. Sprinkle with salt and sugar and enough water to cook the vegetables. Cover and simmer till tender.

sorry, no initial ingredients list, but it's all there in the method innit? :D

I saw that you had posted ringo and looked in to see if i could copy your tea but I can't cos a) I don't like macaroni cheese (breathe) b) had a lot of curry of late & more planned this weekend.

My fridge is bare due to should have been at Shambala festival but the open has been postponed till tomorrow so I'm a bit stumped. I really have nothing as have spent sometime away from home too....argh....

I saw that you had posted ringo and looked in to see if i could copy your tea but I can't cos a) I don't like macaroni cheese (breathe) b) had a lot of curry of late & more planned this weekend.

My fridge is bare due to should have been at Shambala festival but the open has been postponed till tomorrow so I'm a bit stumped. I really have nothing as have spent sometime away from home too....argh....

Looks like a store cupboard special Moonsi! Unless there's something lurking in the freezer maybe?

No worries mate - it is really tasty this, but not very hot (you could always make it hotter if you want but I like the tastiness/fishiness :)) - oh and take no notice of the haddock bit, works great with tilapia

Maacher jhol (bengali fish curry)

Ingredients
500g haddock fillets, skinned
1/4 tsp Turmeric
1 tsp ground Cumin,
1 tsp ground Coriander... etc

Made this last night with the tilapia fillets. Not much prep required, dead easy to cook and didn't take long at all. What a delight! It worked really well, which surprised me as it was the first time I'd done it (usually I need a few attempts to fine-tune recipes). SWMBO's eyes lit up as she tasted it! A real hit - will deffo make it again. Cheers Soj! :cool:

As for tonight, I've got no idea. Something with sweet potato mash, perhaps. There's a load in the fridge gently mouldering, so I'd better get them devoured sharpish. There may be wine...

Tonight Chez Itziko, tea will be mostly... tea & cake! I've two friends coming round to try my Victoria sponge cake, fingers crossed the experiment worked:

ilx860.jpg
[/IMG]

The nights are clearly drawing in and I've an urge to cook a whopping sized sausage casserole of some kind, using spectacular amounts of bangers, chorizo, beans and greens. I suspect that, over Carnival weekend, it's going to be hard to find much time for home cooking.

Not me tea as such as have just eaten it now so there'll be no tea tonight.

Just had a cpl of small fiillets of steak covered with a pea/egg blend and topped/poured with baked camembert with a red onion, garlic, rosemary, olive oil topping, + rustic bread.

Washed down with a cpl of Daiquiri's :)

I bought a bag of what my fishmonger calls "Fish pie mix" to make a fish pie. These tend to be the ends of sides of this that and the other that he's got left when he's cut fish to size for customers and usually they are less than about an inch square or so. Great value at £2.00 for about a kilo of mixed fish, though.
However, seeing as
A) It's bloody roasting and not fish pie weather
B) When I opened the bag there were lots of MASSIVE pieces of salmon and tuna and squid and cod and monkfish and whiting and some prawns. Result!
So I decided to make a fishy spaghetti dinner. The sauce was tomatoes and onions and capers and parsley and tarragon and garlic and a hefty squirt of lemon juice.

It was bloody lovely.

Back
Top Bottom