Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What stupid shit has Trump done today?

Apologies if this sounds like whataboutery on behalf of Trump, but what Woodward has done there is absolutely disgraceful. Warning at the time that Trump knew this was much worse than he was saying might well have improved the lamentable response and saved many lives.

edit: also apologies for repeating what many people have said on Twitter already

Yes, it's not immediately apparent why Woodward chose to sit on this stuff for months while 190,000 Americans died.

Apologies if this sounds like whataboutery on behalf of Trump, but what Woodward has done there is absolutely disgraceful. Warning at the time that Trump knew this was much worse than he was saying might well have improved the lamentable response and saved many lives.

edit: also apologies for repeating what many people have said on Twitter already
I did wonder. But he has to sell a book but well, you know...

From the beeb
Responding to reporters' questions on the book on Wednesday, White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany said: "The president never downplayed the virus, once again.

But he did. We saw him do so. We heard him do so. Do they think we have goldfish memories?

Woodward has documented a lot of President's, after his first book on President Trump "Fear" Trump complained that he hadn't been able to talk to him directly, and said Kelly Ann Conway hadn't passed on the request. Hence the access on this one.
ahhh...yes, I gleaned that later when i read the CNN article in full. bet he must be regretting it now. either way, it was absolutely crazy to expose a walking, breathing crap publicity timebomb like Trump to someone as lethal as Woodward. I can only assume the orange dummkopf insisted.

sometimes, I almost feel sorry for kayleigh McEnany. Being Trump's press spinner must be the most tormented job in the world. Evwery day she must wake up in a cold sweat at permanently being one Twitter tantrum away from catastrophe:D

Yes, it's not immediately apparent why Woodward chose to sit on this stuff for months while 190,000 Americans died.
tbf, probably writing up, collating, arguing with publishers over distribution, marketing, release date, then typesetting, platemaking, binding, printing and dispatch...it all ads up...plus ot's not the only book on either publsher's or bookseller's agenda. They might have been able to shave a couple of months off that timelag, but not much more than that.

Actually, on reflection, you and Yossarian have a point. Perhaps the Washington Post could and should have blasted this out, in advance of the book.
The thing is, I suppose, evem if he had done so, the White House would have issued blanket denials, and then just ignored him, and screamed 'FAKE NEWS!"
It would be very difficult to gain just how much traction amongst the wider public such a story, published in the Post, would have had.

One other possibility was a complete embargo on publication of contents of the book, until release date, in return for access. This is not an uncommon practice in publishing.

tbf, probably writing up, collating, arguing with publishers over distribution, marketing, release date, then typesetting, platemaking, binding, printing and dispatch...it all ads up...plus ot's not the only book on either publsher's or bookseller's agenda. They might have been able to shave a couple of months off that timelag, but not much more than that.

I work for a book printing company. We can take a book from raw manuscript to printed book in 8 weeks if we have to. Some can go back and forth for a year or more. I did one in four weeks, but the editors and I did nothing else but work on that book and we billed some serious expediting fees.

One other possibility was a complete embargo on publication of contents of the book, until release date, in return for access. This is not an uncommon practice in publishing.

This is standard where I work. Some of what we print can get us in trouble with the SEC if we release the contents before the embargo ends.

Reactions: UCK
This is standard where I work. Some of what we print can get us in trouble with the SEC if we release the contents before the embargo ends.
Ah, right, thanks for that. Yes, that makes a lot of sense. I know people who've ended up in serious legal trouble for breaking embargoes

I work for a book printing company. We can take a book from raw manuscript to printed book in 8 weeks if we have to. Some can go back and forth for a year or more. I did one in four weeks, but the editors and I did nothing else but work on that book and we billed some serious expediting fees.
I'm bloody impressed with that sort of turnaround! That's really going some. Mind, Woodward's publishers, Simon & Schuster, and their printers, would have shedloads more than one book on the schedule at any one time. They're both huge.

Last edited:
I'm bloody impressed with that sort of turnaround! That's really ging some. Mind, Woodward's publishers, Simon & Schuster, and their printers, would have shedloads more than one book on the schedule at any one time. They're both huge.

Yes, they're a much bigger operation than we are. As a rough estimate, I think we keep about 100-150 going at any one time. We also do print on demand. You can drop us a formatted PDF file and we'll que it up on the digital press and give you copies in hand in a few days.

But that's enough OT stuff.

Last edited:
ahhh...yes, I gleaned that later when i read the CNN article in full. bet he must be regretting it now. either way, it was absolutely crazy to expose a walking, breathing crap publicity timebomb like Trump to someone as lethal as Woodward. I can only assume the orange dummkopf insisted.

sometimes, I almost feel sorry for kayleigh McEnany. Being Trump's press spinner must be the most tormented job in the world. Evwery day she must wake up in a cold sweat at permanently being one Twitter tantrum away from catastrophe:D

Looking at the fall out today, he clearly treats his political staff like mushrooms. I don't think Kayleigh McEnany worries that much about twitter tantrums,..if Donald Trump looked after his two twitter feeds personally I suspect he'd have very little time to play golf. It is part of Dan Scavino's role.

Yes, they're a much bigger operation than we are. As a rough estimate, I think we keep about 100-150 going at any one time. We also do print on demand. You can drop us a formatted PDF file and we'll que it up on the digital press and give you copies in hand in a few days.
That is also pretty impressive turnaround. In truth, it's mostly the publishers who are much slower moving than the printers, especially the bigger ones.

Woodward says he didn't release the comments at the time because he wanted to make sure Trump's remarks were based on reliable information.

“He tells me this, and I'm thinking, ‘Wow, that’s interesting, but is it true?' Trump says things that don't check out, right?” Woodward told the AP during a telephone interview. Using a famous phrase from the Watergate era, when Woodward's reporting for the Post helped lead to President Richard Nixon's resignation, Woodward said his mission was to determine, “What did he know and when did he know it?”

But Woodward said that only in May was he satisfied that Trump's comments were based on reliable information and that by then the virus had spread nationwide .... Asked why he didn't share Trump's February remarks for a fellow Post reporter to pursue, Woodward said he had developed “some pretty important sources” on his own.
“Could I have brought others in? Could they have done things I couldn't do?" he asked. “I was on the trail, and I was (still) on the trail when it (the virus) exploded.

And, back to the wall.....

"Trump Makes A Bewildering Confession About Who's Paying For His Border Wall"

“And you know, Mexico is paying for the wall,” he said at a rally in North Carolina on Tuesday. “Just so you understand, they don’t say that. They never say it. But we’re gonna charge a small fee at the border. You know, the toll booths.”

“We’re putting a small toll on and maybe we’re going to do something with remittance,” Trump added. “All the money that we spent on the wall will be coming back.”

He also claimed Mexico would pay via the benefits the United States may receive under a renegotiated trade deal, a claim that hasn’t held up to scrutiny. And he’s suggested that Mexico would pay “through longer-term reimbursement.” That also did not happen.

Trump’s confession on Tuesday suggests he realizes that even his supporters know Mexico hasn’t paid a peso for the wall.

Well now we have Trump's answer - he didn't didn’t want to frighten people and create a panic that would lead to a sharp increase in PPE prices.

Back
Top Bottom