Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

what no annual poppy bunfight thread?

poppy?

• Total voters
I saw someone on the train today wearing a pin badge of three poppies. Not three badges, one badge, three poppies.

I just found it... odd. Are they becoming a fashion item?
I really dislike that shit. Your average person on/presenting X Factor have been showing them off for years. Can't quite put my finger on why it winds me up so much.

I saw someone on the train with some plastic poppy attachment on the zip of their hoody. :D

Which to me is totally bullshit as the whole point of the shitty paper poppy is a recognition that you've made a charitable donation. In fact shouldn't these private companies cashing in on a charitable cause be exposed?

The paper poppies are made by a private company too and they only give 10% of the profits to Royal British Legion.

Orang Utan; post: 14194685 said:
OK, one of the two companies, Kleshna, that makes them donates just 10%, the other gives 100%
Via Wiki:
The great poppy con: How one company selling the little red flowers only gives 10% to the British Legion
They also make those horrid crystal ones.
From what I can tell, Kleshna don't make the paper poppies at all...?

In fact, that article you linked to is pure Daily Mail, in that it is what it doesn't say that is significant. From the headline and subheads, you would think - as I briefly did - that the Kleshna poppies were in some way comparable, either in terms of the numbers sold, or type.

But that's not the case: Kleshna make small quantities of jewelled and "designer" poppies, in small numbers, and have nothing to do with the paper poppy production.

It's a deliberately misleading article, in my view, and I'm somewhat surprised at an Urbanite quoting such a piece of drivel!

Last edited:
A work colleague is wearing an enormous sparkly crocheted one, but her ex works for the British Legion so maybe she's doesn't want to pay her wages.

From what I can tell, Kleshna don't make the paper poppies at all...?

In fact, that article you linked to is pure Daily Mail, in that it is what it doesn't say that is significant. From the headline and subheads, you would think - as I briefly did - that the Kleshna poppies were in some way comparable, either in terms of the numbers sold, or type.

But that's not the case: Kleshna make small quantities of jewelled and "designer" poppies, in small numbers, and have nothing to do with the paper poppy production.

It's a deliberately misleading article, in my view, and I'm somewhat surprised at an Urbanite quoting such a piece of drivel!
Apologies, Wiki was misleading

I thought Remploy made all the poppies?

Although they seem to be more of an employment agency now judging from their website.

I thought Remploy made all the poppies?

Although they seem to be more of an employment agency now judging from their website.
Remploy were closed down by the Coalition government, but so far as I know have never made the poppies, which have always been manufactured at a factory (and with outworkers) operated by the Royal British Legion, currently in Richmond, Surrey.

You're probably being confused by the fact that the poppy factories employ disabled ex-servicemen (and, I think, family members) to work in it.

Remploy technically still exists, but certainly locally they only support people who already are in employment to retain that employment when suffering health problems and/or disabilities. The previous role of the organisation as a provider of jobs for people with disabilities is completely defunct.

Britain First will start going round in their second hand MoD landrovers and weirdly tudor fascist uniforms stoning the unwearers before long. And don't think that will get the cunts off facebook. They have smartphones.

Remploy technically still exists, but certainly locally they only support people who already are in employment to retain that employment when suffering health problems and/or disabilities. The previous role of the organisation as a provider of jobs for people with disabilities is completely defunct.

Just came across this article from earlier in the year:

Remploy, the agency charged with helping disabled people find work, has been sold by the Department for Work and Pensions to a US-listed company — one of a number of outsourcing deals the coalition is pursuing before the general election.

The New York-listed Maximus already provides assessment tests in the UK to check whether the disabled are fit for work. It will take a 70 per cent stake in a newly created company, while giving the remaining 30 per cent to employees. The DWP declined to provide financial details of the deal, arguing it was “commercially sensitive”.

:mad:

I was always told that poppies were made by people using their feet cos they had no arms, in that big building up Richmond Hill. Have I been sold a lie on the poppy issue?

Last edited:
J Ed's Poppy update 04/11/2015 - today I served someone with a poppy that looked like it was encrusted with some sort of jewellery, I looked closer and in the middle bit it had '007'

A emblem symbolising the state's willingness to wage war, its refusal to meet its employer's obligation to those harmed, its refusal to allow its employees the right to independent association and its desire to inculcate militaristic, chauvinistic sentiment. An emblem of a state-sanctioned body born of the reactionary fear of the de-mobilised workers and their independent, autonomous organisations.

What's not to like?

Commodity fetishism infused with jingoism

1fbbbd07-e9bb-46fe-ab03-f0e72eadb7b7_zpsrkjic8kr.png

british legion does a lot of good.

Avoiding marketing brands and stuff is virtually impossible

Aye, but they are losing the plot, have been a subscriber for many years,but this latest load of Shyte through the post! win a car or £20,000 is the last straw, before a penny goes to ex servicemen( and women) god know show much is being spent on this raffle and the slick media types who are going to be paid for organising it

A emblem symbolising the state's willingness to wage war, its refusal to meet its employer's obligation to those harmed, its refusal to allow its employees the right to independent association and its desire to inculcate militaristic, chauvinistic sentiment. An emblem of a state-sanctioned body born of the reactionary fear of the de-mobilised workers and their independent, autonomous organisations.

What's not to like?

An awful lot of 'ex servicemen' suffered because of the states 'unwillingness' to wage war on an emergent Nazi Germany, mebbes a lot of grief could have been avoided?
I use the term "states" as an understanding you mean the UK?

Back
Top Bottom