Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What MIGHT be better under Labour this time round? (Try to be positive)

scifisam

feck! arse! girls! drink!
I'm with most of you and don't expect Labour to be much better than the Tories, especially with Starmer as PM. And I know that many of you hate the system overall and anyone involved in it.

But I'd really like some realistic, or at least semi-realistic, ideas, of what might actually be better under Labour than the Tories.

I know there will be lots of people just going "blue Tories" yadadada. We all know that. And there's some stuff I think will either be worse or exactly the same (esp re immigration - except the one listed below). I respectfully request the dishonourable members of this chamber to take that stuff to a different thread.

Anyway...

• The massive majority makes me wonder if Starmer's purges were perhaps not as successful as he'd hoped. Also, it means a hell of a lot of Labour MPs have no chance of a ministerial role, which, ISTM, could mean that he can't control them all, and there actually ends up being at least a fringe group of relatively left-wing MPs who end up voting in a non-blue-Tory way
  • There does seem to be more of a commitment to building more social housing. We'll see how it turns out, but the zeitgeist is in favour of more social housing
  • Public transport may well get more investment and less waste - public ownership is the aim, and a limited form of that was in the King's Speech
  • The bizarre, inhumane, and extremely expensive outsourcing refugees to Rwanda shit will be history
Anyone else got anything else?

Last edited:
I'm with most of you and don't expect Labour to be much better than the Tories, especially with Starmer as PM. And I know that many of you hate the system overall and anyone involved in it.

But I'd really like some realistic, or at least semi-realistic, ideas, of what might actually be better under Labour than the Tories.

I know there will be lots of people just going "blue Tories" yadadada. We all know that. And there's some stuff I think will either be worse or exactly the same (esp re immigration - except the one listed below). I respectfully request the dishonourable members of this chamber to take that stuff to a different thread.

Anyway...

• The massive majority makes me wonder if Starmer's purges were perhaps not as successful as he'd hoped. Also, it means a hell of a lot of Labour MPs have no chance of a ministerial role, which, ISTM, could mean that he can't control them all, and there actually ends up being at least a fringe group of relatively left-wing MPs who end up voting in a non-blue-Tory way
  • There does seem to be more of a commitment to building more social housing. We'll see how it turns out, but the zeitgeist is in favour of more social housing
  • Public transport may well get more investment and less waste - public ownership is the aim, and a limited form of that was in the King's Speech
  • The bizarre, inhumane, and extremely expensive outsourcing refugees to Rwanda shit will be history
Anyone else got anything else?
The zeitgeist is in favour of more social housing? You don't remember what the Labour party have done over the past couple of decades do you. Do you think those council estates just knocked themselves down like the haggerston estate and the Colville estate in Hackney and changed into yuppie flats overnight? And the same happened in eg tower hamlets and Newham and all over the city. Labour councils knocking down council estates. Do you recall the heygate estate fiasco? :facepalm:

Last edited:
What might be better? , erm, erm,, errrm.
Less hereditary lords? That's all I can think of right now. Jury's still out ATM.

Social housing is not going to materialise just like that, they've made it clear with the proposed plans to build on green belt land near West Byfleet that it would be some "affordable homes" (ie. probably fixed rent from the developers or part buy-part rent scheme, both of which are fucking nonsense in terms of longterm housing security) in a mixed development, much of which will be for wealthier people who have city jobs and want to live in the commuter belt, and no mention of actual social housing.

They're encouraging building to "stimulate the economy", not to house the homeless or the poor, anyone who thinks the plan is to build a lot of social housing has been misled.

as i think i said before the election, my only expectation is that things will get marginally less shit, marginally less quickly, than if we had another tory (in name) government.

Maybe it is different for some forums, I know I have edited thread titles in the past, but when it's for an event in Community and I can't remember what month it is supposed to be, that option hasn't been available and I've had to report my OP to get a mod to change it.

OK I am super delighted that this thread has diverted into "tell Epona they're wrong about some minor detail that doesn't matter", don't worry I'm used to that at home, carry on...
Maybe it was more than an hour had elapsed last time I tried it, but that option was not there.

OK I am super delighted that this thread has diverted into "tell Epona they're wrong about some minor detail that doesn't matter", don't worry I'm used to that at home, carry on...
Maybe it was more than an hour had elapsed last time I tried it, but that option was not there.

It really hasn't, it's just light hearted banter. Nobody's having a go.

Anyways, in relation to the thread topic - can't see too many major changes, but ditching the Rwanda policy, and the changes that the DM were melting down over, are a start.

An end to Partition in my country would be nice.

Anyways, in relation to the thread topic - can't see too many major changes, but ditching the Rwanda policy, and the changes that the DM were melting down over, are a start.

An end to Partition in my country would be nice

maybe the option's only available for urban premium members?

:p

An end to Partition in my country would be nice

They've ditched Rwanda but said they haven't ruled out the contracting out of refugee application processing to other countries

Well, that's disappointing.

There's got to be other positive possibilities... maybe they'll ditch Starmer.

Also the Bibby Stockholm is still housing refugees in prison-like conditions, if I was put in charge I'd have got them off there day 1 because anything has to be better than on a fucking overcrowded boat where disease runs rife and there are queues for food - how do we stop the small boats, the general consensus from both Tories and Labour is still put them on bigger boats. It's a fucking shocking way to treat people who are often fleeing desperate conditions.
No sorry, I am struggling to think of anything positive.

And there's some stuff I think will either be worse or exactly the same (esp re immigration - except the one listed below). I respectfully request the dishonourable members of this chamber to take that stuff to a different thread.

Doesn't mean nobody can discuss the things I suggested, but. with respect, we already have lots of threads about how bad things are. It would be nice if we could at least try to think of some potentially good things before derailing into conversations that everyone already agrees on and has talked over many many times in threads that are till active. There's no point in saying the same things again and again.

I do genuinely hope, for example, that the number of MPs Labour has now will be so big that it will - almost accidentally - allow for some leftish MPs. They will get to vote on any bills even if they don't have the power to put bills forward themselves. It's too many people for Starmer and his team to micromanage.

It might be a forlorn hope, but it's not impossible.

Doesn't mean nobody can discuss the things I suggested, but. with respect, we already have lots of threads about how bad things are. It would be nice if we could at least try to think of some potentially good things before derailing into conversations that everyone already agrees on and has talked over many many times in threads that are till active. There's no point in saying the same things again and again.

I do genuinely hope, for example, that the number of MPs Labour has now will be so big that it will - almost accidentally - allow for some leftish MPs. They will get to vote on any bills even if they don't have the power to put bills forward themselves. It's too many people for Starmer and his team to micromanage.

It might be a forlorn hope, but it's not impossible.
Ok, with that in mind, I genuinely genuinely hope that the new labour government will result in an end to the occupation of the 6 counties and Scottish independence.

I'm quite dubious about their plans on transport. I'm not necessarily in favour of privatisation or think that the franchises have improved anything.. But equally will changing ownership improve things much either.. They seem to be side-stepping all the big issues around transport like more investment in public transport, disincentivising reliance on cars through road charging and other taxes, and building good active travel infrastructure.

On the postive side if they nationalise First Great Western, then perhaps this might signal the end of the much-hated and ever-vanishing coffee trolley service, and a return to the much loved British Rail canteen car.. :thumbs:

I'm quite dubious about their plans on transport. I'm not necessarily in favour of privatisation or think that the franchises have improved anything.. But equally will changing ownership improve things much either.. They seem to be side-stepping all the big issues around transport like more investment in public transport, disincentivising reliance on cars through road charging and other taxes, and building good active travel infrastructure.

On the postive side if they nationalise First Great Western, then perhaps this might signal the end of the much-hated and ever-vanishing coffee trolley service, and a return to the much loved British Rail canteen car.. :thumbs:
I love the quiet nostalgia of your hopes - other people wanting major change, you just want the buffet car back on trains :D
I remember when you could buy alcohol and smoke in the bar carriage on the commuter London to Portsmouth trains heading out of Waterloo on weekday evenings. It actually wasn't that long ago, in the grand scheme of things.

Back
Top Bottom