Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What makes a sandwich?

Wraps are clearly a kind of sandwich, if by 'kind of' you mean 'belong to a general class of things that also includes sandwiches', but not if by 'kind of' you mean 'is one of a sub-class of a larger set of sandwich-ness' (where that set is strictly defined as incorporating the notion of discrete (non-hinged) outer layers of bread).
nah, you're overthinking it - there's no bread and there's no two slices. it's not a sandwich

nah, you're overthinking it - there's no bread and there's no two slices. it's not a sandwich
What I'm saying is that if someone asked you what a wrap is, you could start by telling them that it's a kind of sandwich, which orients them to the general nature of said foodstuff, after which you can then interrupt their musings with more detail which will supply them with a more sophisticated understanding of what a wrap is, and both its similarity to and distinction from a sandwich 'proper'.

Much as if you asked me what a samosa is, I could initially reduce your ignorance by informing you that it is a kind of pie, although it does not belong to the strictly-defined class of pies as meat or fruit contained in pastry.

What I'm saying is that if someone asked you what a wrap is, you could start by telling them that it's a kind of sandwich, which orients them to the general nature of said foodstuff, after which you can then interrupt their musings with more detail which will supply them with a more sophisticated understanding of what a wrap is, and both its similarity to and distinction from a sandwich 'proper'.

Much as if you asked me what a samosa is, I could initially reduce your ignorance by informing you that it is a kind of pie, although it does not belong to the strictly-defined class of pies as meat or fruit contained in pastry.
if someone asked me what a wrap was I'd show em a Public Enemy video then punch them in the face. Literally.

As to the original chart, I'd say it's a capital "L" rotated 90 degrees to the right. From ice cream sandwich to chicken wrap. (Through proper sandwiches, obviously. Not that horror in the bottom right.)

I'd say there are probably hot dog-like things that I'd call a sandwich (sausage baguette, anyone?), but hot dogs are hot dogs and Not Sandwiches.

A sandwich is made with sliced bread. A cob with stuff in it is a cob, not a sandwich. A burger inhabits a single bun, not slices of a loaf, ergo it is not a sandwich regardless of what Americans seem to think.

And a pizza is not a 'pie'. It's a fucking pizza. No pastry = not a pie.

So to be clear, it's a sandwich if the bread is made from proper (ie risen loaf) bread, such as chorleywood, baguette, ciabatta, cob/roll/barm etc
But not if the bread is a flat bread like roti, pitta etc

Is pizza base bread? It's not proper risen bread. I don't think you can have a sandwich with flat bread.
Just doesn't seem that way because it's so thin. A deep dish, Chicago-style, very definitely has an air-filled crumb created by yeast.

In the OP, the "structural purist" is apparently still happy to accept waffles as being the outer layers. I would dispute this. A purist would not allow anything but bread to be the outer layer.

In the OP, the "structural purist" is apparently still happy to accept waffles as being the outer layers. I would dispute this. A purist would not allow anything but bread to be the outer layer.
They could be a formal purist but not a material purist.

Cocktail-sadnwiches.jpg

After brexit a sandwich will be sandwich like it should be - stale white sliced and limited to 4 choices - cheese and tomato, ham, beef and egg mayonnaise. Pickle and cucumber will be permitted only on special occasions like St Georges day.

Last edited:
Has it been pointed out yet that there is no way that a structure purist would refer to items in between two pieces of bread as "toppings"? :mad:

Back
Top Bottom