Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What goes well with corned beef in a sandwich?

corned beef is not spam :)
I'm not a meat eater, in my meat cookery naivety I thought I'd fry a friend some like you do spam. It collapsed into a heap and he borked when he seen it was all white tubes , he's not touched it since. I'm still in therapy :(

I can't help wondering if the corned beef hate is from folks who haven't had the really decent stuff and are basing their dislike on the shite that comes out of tins, rather than a proper nicely done salt-cured brisket.

I can't help wondering if the corned beef hate is from folks who haven't had the really decent stuff and are basing their dislike on the shite that comes out of tins, rather than a proper nicely done salt-cured brisket.
I think a lot of people don't realise that the stuff in tins isn't anything like proper corned beef.

not to give canned stuff to much hate

Go to anyone who has Jamaican heritage house and see what they can do with canned corned beef

:thumbs:

I’ve only ever seen it in tins

Honestly that is not what it is - it's like thinking that luncheon meat is what ham is like when it is just a facsimile of the actual thing - I blame war rationing tbh!

It should be brisket cured in brine with peppecorns and spices and it should be soft and tender and lush, not the mottled red brick of dubious animal origin from a tin.

EDIT: Honestly I cannot state it enough - a proper bit of corned beef is a thing of beauty in a similar way to a beautiful bit of ham. Not something that comes out of a tin in a block.

Honestly that is not what it is - it's like thinking that luncheon meat is what ham is like when it is just a facsimile of the actual thing - I blame war rationing tbh!

It should be brisket cured in brine with peppecorns and spices and it should be soft and tender and lush, not the mottled red brick of dubious animal origin from a tin.

EDIT: Honestly I cannot state it enough - a proper bit of corned beef is a thing of beauty in a similar way to a beautiful bit of ham. Not something that comes out of a tin in a block.
where is it available?

where is it available?

Delis in other parts of the world mostly, I am not sure why we have never properly got to grips with it here, especially when we make good ham here! Maybe not enough of a drive to have non pork based cured meats? Dunno.

not to give canned stuff to much hate

Go to anyone who has Jamaican heritage house and see what they can do with canned corned beef

:thumbs:
Without tinned corn beef we wouldn't have corn beef hash pie. Which is pure comfort food.

Back
Top Bottom