Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What goes well with corned beef in a sandwich?

Salt beef NYC style for sandwiches , yes - with pickles etc , on rye bread. Katz on the Lower East Side and the now gone Carnegie on 57th Street.

Breakfast corned beef hash , is akin to ours , (presumably out of a tin !) - a diner stalwart dish.
Cool. I didn't know that they even knew about our tinned stuff.

Google is weak on this question. Brings you to all these new York deli type recipes which seem to have a strange idea of what constitutes corned beef. But for the record, sauerkraut, mustard and dill pickles are not what I'm thinking.

Just something so that it's not just corned beef between two slices of bread. What do you reckon?
What goes very well with a corned beef sandwich is a nice crumbly cheddar, lettuce, tomato, and a little ground pepper. In a different sandwich, obviously, so that it can be enjoyed untainted by the corned beef, which can be discreetly dropped in a bin or plant pot at a subsequent opportunity.

OK this is a personal favourite of mine - corned beef, sliced cucumber, sliced pickled beetroot, lots of butter.

If you want you could add pickled gherkin (or substitute for the beetroot) and switch out butter for mayonnaise - any of those combinations works, I really feel that corned beef sarnies work well with some vinegary elements provided by beetroot/gherkin. I ate this regularly when I was younger and for good reason, it is a winning combination.

Back
Top Bottom