Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What coffee are you drinking just now?

I can thoroughly recommend this current batch of El Borbollon.
It's just "right" and I will be buying it for quite a while.
They have a small range of beans and go beyond "Fairtrade" in terms of people and planet, and seem to extract the absolute best out of them.
For years I used to cycle up a very big hill to buy their Guatemala El Bosque until Hasbean started buying the whole crop.

I inhaled it so quickly, I made a small helping of the natural Brazilian - which adds a little acidity.

I have these two, plus the Peruvian and Mexican typica to play with for a while ...

The natural Brazilian was a bit "thin" in comparison to the El Borbollon, ....

A 50/50 blend and we have a winner - :)

A perfectly-controlled acidity and a perhaps a hint of something fruity which others might be able to qualify ...

I suspect I will be staying with this combo for as long as I can :)

EDIT:-

I'm having a little straight El Borbollon chaser to remind myself what I like about it ...
It's a bit full-on in the dark roast / chocolate department ...

Last edited:
Drinking an Indian liberica from Tamp Culture at the moment.

I've never had that species of coffee before, its ok. Quite fruity and woody at the same time. I'm not sure I'll get more though.

I can thoroughly recommend this current batch of El Borbollon.
It's just "right" and I will be buying it for quite a while.
They have a small range of beans and go beyond "Fairtrade" in terms of people and planet, and seem to extract the absolute best out of them.
For years I used to cycle up a very big hill to buy their Guatemala El Bosque until Hasbean started buying the whole crop.

I inhaled it so quickly, I made a small helping of the natural Brazilian - which adds a little acidity.

I have these two, plus the Peruvian and Mexican typica to play with for a while ...
My coffee person must live near me.
They've taken to dropping off my coffee by hand - as if to encourage my repeat business - and maybe they like to see my garden :)

But I don't need any persuasion to stick to this combo - my defection to Hasbean was initially because I followed El Bosque coffee there, and latterly because TwoDay's minimum 300g won't go through the letterbox ...

Day one of the new batch and the El Borbollon would be rich enough for anyone.
And my now habitual second (half) brew confirms that most people would relish the natural Brazilian too - though it's a little less intense than the first ..

Just had a revelation.

We bought some of our favourite coffee while still in Spain, its cheaper there than in the UK. Got it back here, went to make a cup, remembered that we haven't got a coffee machine here.

Some advice please :)

I’ve got a simple, cheap filter coffee machine which is ideal for my needs as an occasional coffee drinker.

However there are some hairline cracks in the bottom of the glass pot / jug thing that the coffee drips into. Are there replacements available - I’m struggling to put the exact thing in need in a search engine!

Some advice please :)

I’ve got a simple, cheap filter coffee machine which is ideal for my needs as an occasional coffee drinker.

However there are some hairline cracks in the bottom of the glass pot / jug thing that the coffee drips into. Are there replacements available - I’m struggling to put the exact thing in need in a search engine!
Have you tried searching with the make/model?

Have you tried searching with the make/model?
Good idea, where is my brain today :facepalm: I effected a temporaryfix with gaffer tape for now

Bin it and buy an Aeropress - and a grinder if you're using pre-ground - especially if it's only occasional ;)
when I say occasional I mean used once a day for a 3-4 cup most mornings… I prefer the innate simplicity of a filter coffee machine and what you’re suggesting sounds like it would be more complex

Good idea, where is my brain today :facepalm: I effected a temporaryfix with gaffer tape for now

when I say occasional I mean used once a day for a 3-4 cup most mornings… I prefer the innate simplicity of a filter coffee machine and what you’re suggesting sounds like it would be more complex
Blimey - a hardcore addict !
I used to be just weekends - lately I've crept up to 30g of beans a day so equal with Finland - the heaviest coffee drinkers in the world ! :D

But for me, I don't compromise with coffee and hardly at all with wine ...

I decided to ask each barista to make me whatever they make for themselves. Today is loads of caramel. I don't even know what they're putting in these.
IMG_20220701_061224.jpg

Yesterday's was very nice.
IMG_20220630_063558.jpg

The day before wasn't bad either.
IMG_20220629_063556 (1).jpg

Last edited:
I decided to ask each barista to make me whatever they make for themselves. Today is loads of caramel. I don't even know what they're putting in these.
View attachment 329893

Yesterday's was very nice.
View attachment 329894

The day before wasn't bad either.
View attachment 329895
That first one!! :eek::eek::eek:
And that's without even knowing what a "Tstd V" is. I'd assume vanilla, but toasted?
Last one sounds nice, though. I'm not much for sugar in coffee unless it's black.

That first one!! :eek::eek::eek:
And that's without even knowing what a "Tstd V" is. I'd assume vanilla, but toasted?
Last one sounds nice, though. I'm not much for sugar in coffee unless it's black.
They're kinda hard-core. I don't do sugar either. They've been warning me at the register.:D

Mostly Taylors at the moment as it's about the most expensive I can jusity buying for work (well charging to expenses). It's a nice little ritual mid morning, making a cafetiere of strong coffee for the three of us.

Not had any really nice stuff for ages, think I might be due a treat from one of the good online places.

I've gone through a lot of the Pebble & Pine options now, and I have to say I really like their choices. You don't get the overwhelming variety of HasBean, but it's a really nice selection and all of them have been pretty pleasant to drink. Just finishing off the Sumatran (very of its type - strong, dark, earthy) right now.

I'm sticking with my local supplier in Bristol Twoday. My own blend of El Salvador and Brazilian.
I used to find them annoying because the min order is an unpostable 300g, but the owners probably live up the road from me and deliver it personally and on one occasion I met them on the path and they love the excuse to see my garden :)

seems to be fairly consistent for me over the past couple of years.

One of life's essential pleasures - 65p for my morning mug.
I am led to believe that the rather unpleasant concoctions available on the high street cost considerably more ...
The cheaper beans have got quite a bit more expensive in the past year. But the high end has been fairly stable in the £30/kg range.

I've just taken a punt on some Colombian beans that don't sound too Colombiany ... :hmm:
I've also bought my usual El Salvador and Natural Brazilian so doubtless I will settle on a blend I like ...
The whole order £28.55 for 900g delivered - 63p per decadent mug.

Las Planadas
Colombia

Another fantastic Colombian. Easy drinking. Chocolate, caramel, sugar cane, sweet vanilla. Well rounded, full bodied, juicy. Perfectly balanced. Excellent as a filter or in the AeroPress.

Roast: medium
Style: Juicy chocolatt, vanilla.

Last edited:
Bloody hell that was quick. !
They must have delivered it on the way home.
I stuck my nose in the Colombian bag and there's definitely a teeny hint of acidity
The new natural Brazilian smells like butterscotch ...but so does the El Salvador :hmm:

Only just roasted so it will take a day or two to settle down..
The Colombian has acidity and "fruit", but is well-rounded so should add brightness to a blend without being too distracting.
(I'm trying to gee up my tastebuds)

Day 2 The new natural Brazilian stands up very well by itself - plenty would like this as it is - it has brightness and just enough acidity - and whereas I suspect the colombian will (for me) need blending with more than 50 percent of something else, this is probably going to work 50:50 with the El Salvador as did its predecessor.

Last edited:
Price of coffee beans!!!! WTF

Price of greens have gone up significantly and will continue to go up as the pound weakens against the dollar. Most roasters are trying to keep their prices not increasing to rapidly however they are going up. Most of the major importers are increasing their offer list prices on a weekly basis

So I had three 300g bags of beans - 45 days' supply ...
The natural Brazilian turned out to be a bit more frisky than usual, and the colombian not as boring as I'd hoped, so I seem to have settled on 10g Brazilian, 6g El Salvador and 4g Colombian.
Some days I wonder if I really actually like coffee that much... and I don't even drink tea any more. I used to order several kilos a year ...

Back
Top Bottom