Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

What coffee are you drinking just now?

Bought a 1kg of this - goes nicely as an espresso or Japanese Cold Press.
Oh yes, the mrs quite liked that one. No strong flavours that stick out, but wonderfully smooth.

My local people just delivered a new order.
I have lately settled on a blend of :-

8g of my usual El Salvador El Borbollon - toned down with :-
8g of a Natural Brazilian, and
4g of a Columbian that adds freshness without being too funky...

So now I have more El Borbollon plus a different natural Brazilian - in fact the Brazilian has been a different one each time...
A bit late in the day for me - though I'm slightly tempted to make a small brew ...

Fazenda Salto Natural Brazil
Mixed cultivars...
Nutty and sweet, Milk chocolate, hazelnut, praline, raisin. Smooth and well rounded.
This full bodied Brazilian makes an enjoyable, traditional cup of coffee. Milk friendly.
Roast:Medium dark/dark
Style:Chocolatey & dark, hint of nuts and fruit

Last edited:
Had some really nice coffee (Maude) at a coffee shop, then bought some from their website. Couldn't recreate the experience and it was expensive (also their wholesale blend is not available direct to people).

Gone back to supermarket spesh, Illy and Lavazza when I can't get the former. Imho, our old gran of a moka makes them all taste the same. It's perfect for my partner who doesn't have a very sensitive palate and just wants the hit but I'd like to get a dripper and try drinking for flavour one day. One day...

I just made a small brew of my new beans .. I don't think I have much of a palate either - though I am able to recognise what I don't like - and I always have beans I keep for emergencies and end up ditching when they get ridiculously stale ...
To be honest I usually wish the finished coffee was more like the smell of the beans - which for me is usually butterscotch ...
There's probably a psychological component ... so perhaps one day I will find an enthusiasm for coffee - and cuisine ...

The beans are a bit too freshly roasted to get a full picture, but if I was to describe the natural Brazilian, it would be "messy" - a fairly broad taste profile but with gaps.
I find this type of coffee blends well with the solid El Salvadorean bourbon beans to firm up the bass and mid-range , and I have recently been appreciating adding slightly fewer of the Columbian beans to add a bit more upper-midrange and muted treble ...

Need to buy some ground coffee soon, I quite like the Machu Pichu cafe direct stuff, can someone recommend me something similar to that I might like?

Need to buy some ground coffee soon, I quite like the Machu Pichu cafe direct stuff, can someone recommend me something similar to that I might like?
That's half what I pay for my beans ...

It says Peruvian.
I used to be solidly into Guatemalan, but the Finca El Bosque I bought for years changed.
I now mostly buy El Salvador from my local place but have been blending it.

Very nerdy analysis of caffeine extraction, but Quite Interesting.
He's quite a bit too much for me ..
It's fairly academic with my brewing technique - but my ears caught him making weak coffee with an Aeropress again...
All I know is that I get as much caffeine as I can handle from 20g of beans and I don't have it later than 9 am... a key reason why I don't get to taste coffees side by side...
I brew it for as long as I feel like leaving the bread in the toaster plus however long it takes me to spread it afterwards...

Boringly, I just took delivery of 300g each of the same 3 beans I've been blending and drinking for months now so I'm OK until the new year ...

This month's natural Brazilian (my supplier seems to only get small batches of these)
It will get blended as usual with the El salvador and Colombian, but I suspect a lot of people would like this as it is - and in fact I may see if it works without the Colombian as it already has plenty of high notes.
Very refreshing.

COFFEE: Fazenda Zaroca
VARIETAL: Mixed
PROCESSING: Natural
ALTITUDE: 900- 1110 masl
OWNER: Cocatrel Cooperative
Fazenda Zaroca is an excellent example of well rounded nutty Brazilian.
It is a crowd pleaser. Works for every brewing method and is great with milk.

Roast:Medium dark/dark
Style:Chocolatey & dark, hint of nuts and fruit

Reactions: Chz

I made two espressos out of this to check.
Fucking hell, this one is a sweet bomb....was expecting something a bit more acidic.
Yes, I tried that a month or so back. They aren't kidding about the "syrupy body". I might add it to the Brazilian they have as a regular.

Sadly none, as I forgot to make it yesterday and it would be cold brew. I have got absolutely no work done all morning. Just found caffeine pills tho so it maybe a busy afternoon.

Boringly I'm still buying the same blend of 3 beans, but since I just had new beans delivered, I thought I would re-educate my palate.

The El Salvador El Borbollon - as chocolatey as usual.
This month's natural (mixed varietal) Brazilian has perhaps a little more fruit and acidity than usual, so tomorrow if I remember, I will blend just those two and see how that works before adding the small amount of Colombian beans I usually do for fruit/acidity ...

Because I mix them 40:40:20, the Colombian beans end up sitting in the jar for quite a long time so lose their edge a bit in any case...

So today I blended the chocolatey El Salvador and the acidic / fruity natural Brazilian.
Usually the Brazilians tone down the El Borbollon.
In this case I may not even need to add the colombian for the high notes - and in fact I will try a blend of 2/3 El Borbollon and 1/3 Brazilian.

EDIT :-

Winning combo :thumbs:

Last edited:
I'm drinking the most excellent coffee made from anerobically fermented beans. I managed to get the last 200g, from radical Roasters in Bristol.

I'm drinking the most excellent coffee made from anerobically fermented beans. I managed to get the last 200g, from radical Roasters in Bristol.
sounds funky :)

What crossed my mind recently is whether there might be a process that could mimic the effect of passing the beans through a small mammal ... though personally I'm somewhat conservative in my tastes and not keen on flavours added to the bean from the fruit / fermentation ..

Have just bought a new machine, so have treated myself to Square Mile's Granja Sao Francisco. Lovely &/but expensive!
I do like the natural Brazilians - blended with my usual robust El Salvador. to add a bit of randomness perhaps ...
In the past I felt the need to perk it up with some Columbian for the high notes, but the Brazilian my local roaster is currently supplying has it all...

Back
Top Bottom