Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Westminster to use constitutional tool to block Holyrood gender recognition law.

Coop's focus here is instructive. They are keen to point out that Sturgeon is self-contradictory and isn't the master politician some people (though nobody on here) claim.

Indeed. I dislike the SNP government. I think it's stagnant and inept. I think ideologically it's neoliberal, centralist and authoritarian.

I think Sturgeon is the most able party leader in these islands. But I don't think that's staying much at all. It's a bit like saying watery shite is easier to wash off your boots than sticky shite. One thing she's very good at is sounding like she's saying something while she’s saying it, but when you later try to work out what it was, it's all miasma. During the pandemic her daily statements were contrasted with Johnson's. She gave the impression of being more upfront and clear than Johnson. But ffs. Read that back. Johnson is a lazy, dithering, mumbling drunk buffoon. If you can’t sound more coherent than him you’re in trouble.

Public opinion is perhaps swayed by the wall-to-wall coverage of a convicted rapist. Well, maybe it is. The coverage has been unedifying. I tend to form my own opinions on things rather than wait to see what the polls say before deciding what I think about something.

I don't hold carceral views but let’s get some perspective: there are 20 trans people in Scottish prisons. 20. I really don't think the Isla Bryson case is the sticking point for the GRA that regressives and conservatives portray it as.

Here are a couple of articles that might help put this into perspective:

Did Sturgeon wobble and fumble the coverage? Yes, she did. What of it? I don't support her or her government. Will another party win the next Scottish election? Not a hope in Hell.

So, what are we left with? Well, do I support making life easier for trans people and decreasing the prejudice and red tape they face? Yes I do. Do the majority of people in Scotland agree? Yes, they do, and the younger they are the more likely they are to do so. But even if they didn't, I would. Because it's right to do so. Not because I support the SNP. Because I don’t.

Oh, and one last point: do I support independence for Scotland? In and of itself, no, I don’t.

Coop's focus here is instructive. They are keen to point out that Sturgeon is self-contradictory and isn't the master politician some people (though nobody on here) claim.

Indeed. I dislike the SNP government. I think it's stagnant and inept. I think ideologically it's neoliberal, centralist and authoritarian.

I think Sturgeon is the most able party leader in these islands. But I don't think that's staying much at all. It's a bit like saying watery shite is easier to wash off your boots than sticky shite. One thing she's very good at is sounding like she's saying something while she’s saying it, but when you later try to work out what it was, it's all miasma. During the pandemic her daily statements were contrasted with Johnson's. She gave the impression of being more upfront and clear than Johnson. But ffs. Read that back. Johnson is a lazy, dithering, mumbling drunk buffoon. If you can’t sound more coherent than him you’re in trouble.

Public opinion is perhaps swayed by the wall-to-wall coverage of a convicted rapist. Well, maybe it is. The coverage has been unedifying. I tend to form my own opinions on things rather than wait to see what the polls say before deciding what I think about something.

I don't hold carceral views but let’s get some perspective: there are 20 trans people in Scottish prisons. 20. I really don't think the Isla Bryson case is the sticking point for the GRA that regressives and conservatives portray it as.

Here are a couple of articles that might help put this into perspective:

Did Sturgeon wobble and fumble the coverage? Yes, she did. What of it? I don't support her or her government. Will another party win the next Scottish election? Not a hope in Hell.

So, what are we left with? Well, do I support making life easier for trans people and decreasing the prejudice and red tape they face? Yes I do. Do the majority of people in Scotland agree? Yes, they do, and the younger they are the more likely they are to do so. But even if they didn't, I would. Because it's right to do so. Not because I support the SNP. Because I don’t.

Oh, and one last point: do I support independence for Scotland? In and of itself, no, I don’t.
It's a bit of a red herring anyway, because even with a gender recognition certificate a trans woman prisoner who is assessed to pose a risk to other women prisoners wouldn't be housed with them.

Anyone have idea as to how many male guards are working in women's prisons? Most recent data I could find from a quick search was 2013, giving the number as about 440 out of a total staff of around 1080 - although those numbers look a bit odd to me, East Sutton and Askham Grange in particular seem to have surprisingly tiny workforces if those numbers are right. Still, I don't see how anyone could describe those places as "single sex" with any degree of honesty.

Some change sex from male to female.

And, laughably, have been used as "evidence" that humans can do the same, although to be fair the strategy got mocked so roundly that it seems to have been dropped.

:D

That is literally what tempted me to reply to the thread. NS had out-manoeuvred Westminster, what a blunder by Sunak etc.

But yeah "nobody on here".

You can't help sitting on your balls can you?

That is literally what tempted me to reply to the thread. NS had out-manoeuvred Westminster, what a blunder by Sunak etc.

But yeah "nobody on here".

You can't help sitting on your balls can you?
What the fuck are you on about?

I said on this thread several times it that wasn’t a trap, that Sturgeon didn’t set it, and if she had intended to set one this wouldn’t have been it.

Last edited:
What the fuck are you on about?

I said on this thread several times it that wasn’t a trap, that Sturgeon didn’t set it, and if she had intended to set one this wouldn’t have been it.
Well done you. Other people did, I was replying to them. That's how public discussion works.

That's what the fuck I'm on about, can you follow? It seems quite simple to me.

Well done you. Other people did, I was replying to them. That's how public discussion works.

That's what the fuck I'm on about, can you follow? It seems quite simple to me.
Why bring the seating arrangement of my testicles into it?

Nobody on this here thread thinks Sturgeon is master tactician. A couple briefly may have thought so, but they’re people who were under informed and I corrected them.

Why bring the seating arrangement of my testicles into it?

Nobody on this here thread thinks Sturgeon is master tactician. A couple briefly may have thought so, but they’re people who were under informed and I corrected them.

Ok at least you've got the tiniest inkling of a sense of humour. But honestly you kinda almost immediately undid your first line with the pomposity of the next two - "...and I corrected them" - I mean fucksake, who do you think you are? Have they formally endorsed this correction?

Ok at least you've got the tiniest inkling of a sense of humour. But honestly you kinda almost immediately undid your first line with the pomposity of the next two - "...and I corrected them" - I mean fucksake, who do you think you are? Have they formally endorsed this correction?
Yes. They stood corrected.

What the fuck is it with sitting on testicles?

It's just an expression, relax. It means you tried being clever and you said something stupid. Like standing on a garden rake and getting a smack in the mouth. You did it to yourself. That kind of thing. Feel free to use it (and I bet you will :D).

You’re on. £20 billion.

In your whole life? It will be sitting there, a juicy little phrase, gnawing away at you, and one day the perfect opportunity to use it will come up....and you'll spunk your £20bn, I know it. Who wouldn't?

In your whole life? It will be sitting there, a juicy little phrase, gnawing away at you, and one day the perfect opportunity to use it will come up....and you'll spunk your £20bn, I know it. Who wouldn't?
It’s not the sort of thing I’d say, it doesn’t make sense, and it isn’t relatable.

Mate you sat on your own bollocks when you mocked the absence of poll data (that you hadn't seen) and you still haven't got the sense to shut up and sit quietly for a bit.

Great that whatever it is you find amusing amuses you.

And I'm not your "mate".

Back
Top Bottom