Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Weird planes

well we had the flying arse the other day but they stacked it

40851.jpg

"any landing you can walk away from" and all that
got to be preferable to crashing a plane of similar capacity.

first flight as well, I'm sure they will learn to handle it/tweak cargo positioning and all that jazz. I like the flying arse, steampunk is here

I am going to have a bit of a ramble on a pet bugbear.

This is one of the few late war Nazi aircraft that seemed to have real potential.

dornier-do335-pfeil_8.jpg

Dornier 335. Pusher puller that has some pretty reduced frontal drag by putting everything in one line. Now the ranty bit
There is a persistent myth of German\Nazi science and equipment of this era being uber technology and wunderwaffe that almost made it into service. Here is an example of on the History (sic) Channel, a recent Netflix show based on A Man in a High Castle also play with this with Supersonic travel in the 50s. Its a common meme. Germany started the war with one "best in world" aircraft, the 109. Through the war they produced two other aircraft in numbers greater than 1000 unit produced that could be argued as "best in class of aircraft for that time" the FW 190 (short range single engine fighter) and the revolutionary Me262. They did spoil the 262 with a dog of a gun and its engine life of only 20 hours meant it was lethal to fly in training let alone combat.

The problem is that in the time between the 190 and the 262 the Anglo Americans alone introduced (not first flight) the Halifax, Lancaster, Mosquito, Tempest, Typhoon, P38 Lightning, P51 Mustang, P47 Thunderbolt, F6F Hellcat, Corsair, C 54 Skymaster, A26 Invader, B25 Mitchell and a host of others. You can throw in the He129 and Me 410 as useful, mid war German aircraft.

Their problem was that from late 1942 onwards they were completely outclassed in both power and power to weight ratio engines. A bit of a fluke or great planning meant the Merlin engine had a superbly designed super charger from near birth (actually a two stage supercharger) that meant it had far more oxygen available to burn in the engine at altitude. Part of it was bureaucratic planning, the Nazis wanted an engine to last 20 000 hours between over hauls. Britain and the US was more like 7-900 hours. Less concerned with engine life meant they could built them lighter. But simple great design mean the Allies were cranking out multiple different designs of better engines. The Germans finished the war seeking a reliable 1500kW\2000hp engine, the British had them in the Napier Sabre and Bristol Centaurus, Rolls Royce Griffen while the the US the Pratt and Whitney R-2800, Wright R3350 all of which hit the 1500kW\2000hp even from as early as 1942. They were buried not by numbers but by quality.

This is where the Do 335 comes in. It was a desperate attempt to aerodynamically create a competitive twin engine heavy fighter that could match the likes of the P38 and Mosquito. It was innovative and in some ways represents an apotheosis of piston engined fighters. But it was about as fast as the De Havilland Hornet that was less innovative but had the brute power of 1500kW Merlin engines.

The Nazi's were way ahead in liquid rocket technology. But what did that actually achieve. The Allies produced far, far better piston engines and massively larger quantities, significantly more reliable jet engines, far better RADAR, had "super weapons" like proximity fuses that made ack ack and artillery 4 times more effective, had early computers to break codes, much better predictors like the Kerrison for AA and the Norden for bombing, the applied mathematical and economic sciences to the air war with Operations Research and had critically better chemistry for its fuel (first 100 Octane fuel then going all the way up to 150 Octane).

Nazi technological superiority in the air war is mostly propaganda, confusing prototypes for actual useful weapons and wild eyes "what ifs".

/rant over.

I am going to have a bit of a ramble on a pet bugbear.

This is one of the few late war Nazi aircraft that seemed to have real potential.

dornier-do335-pfeil_8.jpg

Dornier 335. Pusher puller that has some pretty reduced frontal drag by putting everything in one line. Now the ranty bit
There is a persistent myth of German\Nazi science and equipment of this era being uber technology and wunderwaffe that almost made it into service. Here is an example of on the History (sic) Channel, a recent Netflix show based on A Man in a High Castle also play with this with Supersonic travel in the 50s. Its a common meme. Germany started the war with one "best in world" aircraft, the 109. Through the war they produced two other aircraft in numbers greater than 1000 unit produced that could be argued as "best in class of aircraft for that time" the FW 190 (short range single engine fighter) and the revolutionary Me262. They did spoil the 262 with a dog of a gun and its engine life of only 20 hours meant it was lethal to fly in training let alone combat.

The problem is that in the time between the 190 and the 262 the Anglo Americans alone introduced (not first flight) the Halifax, Lancaster, Mosquito, Tempest, Typhoon, P38 Lightning, P51 Mustang, P47 Thunderbolt, F6F Hellcat, Corsair, C 54 Skymaster, A26 Invader, B25 Mitchell and a host of others. You can throw in the He129 and Me 410 as useful, mid war German aircraft.

Their problem was that from late 1942 onwards they were completely outclassed in both power and power to weight ratio engines. A bit of a fluke or great planning meant the Merlin engine had a superbly designed super charger from near birth (actually a two stage supercharger) that meant it had far more oxygen available to burn in the engine at altitude. Part of it was bureaucratic planning, the Nazis wanted an engine to last 20 000 hours between over hauls. Britain and the US was more like 7-900 hours. Less concerned with engine life meant they could built them lighter. But simple great design mean the Allies were cranking out multiple different designs of better engines. The Germans finished the war seeking a reliable 1500kW\2000hp engine, the British had them in the Napier Sabre and Bristol Centaurus, Rolls Royce Griffen while the the US the Pratt and Whitney R-2800, Wright R3350 all of which hit the 1500kW\2000hp even from as early as 1942. They were buried not by numbers but by quality.

This is where the Do 335 comes in. It was a desperate attempt to aerodynamically create a competitive twin engine heavy fighter that could match the likes of the P38 and Mosquito. It was innovative and in some ways represents an apotheosis of piston engined fighters. But it was about as fast as the De Havilland Hornet that was less innovative but had the brute power of 1500kW Merlin engines.

The Nazi's were way ahead in liquid rocket technology. But what did that actually achieve. The Allies produced far, far better piston engines and massively larger quantities, significantly more reliable jet engines, far better RADAR, had "super weapons" like proximity fuses that made ack ack and artillery 4 times more effective, had early computers to break codes, much better predictors like the Kerrison for AA and the Norden for bombing, the applied mathematical and economic sciences to the air war with Operations Research and had critically better chemistry for its fuel (first 100 Octane fuel then going all the way up to 150 Octane).

Nazi technological superiority in the air war is mostly propaganda, confusing prototypes for actual useful weapons and wild eyes "what ifs".

/rant over.

"Why do the facts hate Nazi Germany?"

On a similar note, we had a flying train that never was in the fens in the 60s. Ok it only flew about 1cm above the track...

CD459458-0076-41C2-AD76-C98B392EF35E-2786-00000265B2339600_tmp.jpg

How about weird airports… banked circular runways anyone? (thread finally takes off, etc):

For crosswind handling, fuel efficiency, noise redistribution, higher throughput, improved taxi times.

I can see that being ok for take offs but not sure I'd fancy the landings, especially if the surface was damp or wet.

Paul Allen’s Stratolaunch air launch platform (the ‘Roc’) has been wheeled out of the shed - at 117m the largest wingspan aircraft ever built (even exceeds the length of a Saturn V):
gallery-1496253945-drone3-website.png

landscape-1496250796-dbk3ltru0ae3rta.jpg

668px-Stratolaunch_comparison.svg.png

First flight still some months away and first satellite launch test planned in 2019.
Insert joke about which driver is in control here (actually the cockpit is in the starboard nose - the port fuselage has none).
More here.

Our old mates and thread perennials the Iranians are back with a new Scrapheap Challenge creation called the Kowsar 88. It's mostly an RF-5A turned into a LIFT but I'm sure I can see bits of Frogfoot in the mix.

57468198.jpg
That looks like it's made out of wood.

That looks like it's made out of wood.

It probably is - they 'demonstrated' a fighter recently where the cockpit was too small for the ejection seat to leave the aircraft.

If it wasn't for the culture, you'd assume the Iranian aviation industry was the product of a shed and a dozen pissed-up dad's having a giggle...

It probably is - they 'demonstrated' a fighter recently where the cockpit was too small for the ejection seat to leave the aircraft.

If it wasn't for the culture, you'd assume the Iranian aviation industry was the product of a shed and a dozen pissed-up dad's having a giggle...

The Iranians had over 120 F-5s at point. I wonder how many they've used by doing cut and shuts into aircraft which aren't as good as an F-5.

It was the Iranian F14s that were impressive. They were definitely still flying some in 2015. Does anyone know if they still have airworthy Tomcats ?

It was the Iranian F14s that were impressive. They were definitely still flying some in 2015. Does anyone know if they still have airworthy Tomcats ?

Dunno - but I think the Iranians are demonstrating to the world that the difference between reverse engineering components and systems to keep an existing airframe in operation and designing and building a new type from fag-packet to test flight is not one of degrees...

Two ship fly by at the 2016 Military Day shenanigans. No show this year. They've officially got 14 a/c on charge so they could maybe generate 4-6 for ops.

I once flew a 2 vs 2 in the GR7 against USN F-14Ds. It was embarrassing but not for them.

Back
Top Bottom