Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Weird planes

SOFIA observatory:
640px-SOFIA_ED10-0182-01_full.jpg
SOFIA is currently in Europe, based at CGN, and has been doing circuits the past week. Will be here for the next three weeks.

That thing behind Alan Partridge is one of the 90s vintage Replica mockups from the RCS study. It's been given a Halfords rattle can paint job and been put on a set of Tornado landing gear. It's an utterly laughable PR stunt. The FOD guards are a nice touch.

Japan hasn't acquired anything but a US combat aircraft for 75 years. The idea that they are going to weaken their most important military and strategic partnership to get in on the Airfix led Tempest consortium isn't credible.

Wow, I was wrong about his. Chapeau, kebabking

Sweden are out of Tempest and Japan are in and it's now called the Global Air Combat Program.

I'm surprised that Sweden are out...

Gripen looks to be on a shakier nail than a couple of years ago - it's lost out to F-35 in any number of sales completions, including the most important one, Finland - I'm just not sure I see it having the longevity it once looked like having. Tempest at least looked like having some workshare for Saab.

The French/German thing (FCAS?) may or may not have room for Saab, so it's either that, go it alone (astronomical price), or buy whatever the US is selling in 2035/40 and watch Saab go to the wall...

I'm surprised that Sweden are out...

Gripen looks to be on a shakier nail than a couple of years ago - it's lost out to F-35 in any number of sales completions, including the most important one, Finland - I'm just not sure I see it having the longevity it once looked like having. Tempest at least looked like having some workshare for Saab.

The French/German thing (FCAS?) may or may not have room for Saab, so it's either that, go it alone (astronomical price), or buy whatever the US is selling in 2035/40 and watch Saab go to the wall...

Gripen hasn't won an export order since Brazil in 2014. The first problem it has is the F-16s released into the market by F-35 operators like Norway. The second problem is Dassault's sales team who know how to close a deal by any means necessary.

The French are trying to get the Saudis into FCAS which makes some sort of sense.

I still see problems ahead for Tempest/GCAP. The 'partnership of equals' between UK and Japan will be hard to manage and the schedule is ludicrous. The last great British/Japanese engineering collaboration gave us the Triumph Acclaim...

Haven’t heard much about the Fan wing project lately. Would be cool to see it fly at full size though. I think a few RC models have been made:

Images from FanWing website. It boasts a STOL capability and fuel efficient properties. Low top speed though, obviously. I don’t know how well it would cope with bird strike, either.

471F5F5D-A992-4AB7-96E0-C72B94E9F580.jpeg
FAF93A60-4C23-4ED1-B8D5-3DE220BDA3BB.jpeg
8DD92E5B-2B61-4076-B913-063B0CA0B012.jpeg

Looks like two giant Dyson upright vacuum cleaners stuck together with a few alerons slapped on :thumbs:

I’m tempted to make an RC model fanwing, they look so cool! Finding the right balance point for the centre of gravity might be fraught with issues though.

Haven’t heard much about the Fan wing project lately. Would be cool to see it fly at full size though. I think a few RC models have been made:

Images from FanWing website. It boasts a STOL capability and fuel efficient properties. Low top speed though, obviously. I don’t know how well it would cope with bird strike, either.

View attachment 355447

It's a Shorts Skyvan fuselage with Mi-17 engines on it. :confused:

It's a Shorts Skyvan fuselage with Mi-17 engines on it. :confused:
Yeah.. just a visualisation of course, so I suppose they cobbled it together which whatever seemed to fit nicely. The actual concept of the aircraft could be realised with any number of different fuselage / engine configurations, but I suspect the fact it’s yet to get off the ground means it has some fatal flaws, or at least serious drawbacks.

Perhaps the cruising speed is simply too low to make it commercially viable.

A new X plane: the X-66A ('Sustainable Flight Demonstrator'). NASA, with Boeing, intend to carry out some serious surgery on an MD-90 to add a transonic truss-braced wing (TTBW; lift generating truss) with a view to creating a much more fuel efficient 2 engine successor to the 737.

X-66A 'Sustainable Flight Demonstrator'. X-66A conversion from MD-90.X-66A key project aims.

Separately, the X-59 ('Low Boom Flight Demonstrator'), QueSST (Quiet SuperSonic Technology), is now scheduled to begin flight tests this year.
X-59. X-59 assembly at LM's Skunkworks.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom