Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Weird planes

Westland P.12. I'm sure somebody thought it was a good idea.

blog-p_dot_12-lysander-delanne-6215513724_007f4fed88_o.jpg

c029b74450f78617ede42ad582859990.jpg

interesting that that POS killed a few people. I wonder how many people these abominations have racked up between them? Has to be in the 1000s I'd have thought

I think the Gloster Meteor would have to be the #1 pilot killer of all time. Right through the 50s and 60s the RAF crashed one a week on average. Norman Tebbit almost died flying one and had to batter his way through the jammed canopy of a burning Meteor with his hands.

I think the Gloster Meteor would have to be the #1 pilot killer of all time. Right through the 50s and 60s the RAF crashed one a week on average. Norman Tebbit almost died flying one and had to batter his way through the jammed canopy of a burning Meteor with his hands.
Maybe he should have stuck to biking.

That does seem to be spectacular.

Meteor Accident Statistics - PPRuNe Forums

1. 150 total losses in 1952
2. 68 lost after running out of fuel
3. 23 lost doing official low level aeros displays
4. 890 lost in total
5. 436 fatal accidents between 1944 and 1986.
They only built 4,000!

Although it looks like the Starfighter - which I would have guessed as the worst - might still eclipse that, percentage wise. Canada lost 46% of theirs.

The difference being that I don't believe the Meteor was being unfairly abused outside of its designed role.

The F-104 was designed as a pure interceptor. So Canada and Germany decided to turn them into low-level attack aircraft instead. It wasn't entirely surprising how many of them ended up as lawn darts.

I've seen some evidence that suggests the F-84 (in both its guises) was the most dangerous military aircraft. In the West, at least.

The difference being that I don't believe the Meteor was being unfairly abused outside of its designed role.

The F-104 was designed as a pure interceptor. So Canada and Germany decided to turn them into low-level attack aircraft instead. It wasn't entirely surprising how many of them ended up as lawn darts.

I've seen some evidence that suggests the F-84 (in both its guises) was the most dangerous military aircraft. In the West, at least.
In German, they were "ground nails" :eek:

Odd. Air freight is not in the best of health at the mo

I think it's a vanity project to some extent. The An-124 is pointless now that the 747-8F can lift up to 140t on a fraction of the fuel but how big is the 150t+ market? Not very I would say...

Beer Bombs: Britain's Keg-Carrying Spitfires of World War Two - Urban Ghosts Media

According to the Spitfire Site: “the Heneger and Constable brewery donated free beer to the troops. After D-Day… there was no room in the logistics chain for such luxuries as beer or other types of refreshments. Some men, often called “sourcers”, were able to get wine or other niceties “from the land” or rather from the locals. RAF Spitfire pilots came up with an even better idea.”

Pylons mounted beneath the wings of Spitfire Mk IX fighters, designed to carry fuel tanks or bombs, could be modified to carry kegs of beer. In some cases, an adapted version of a long range fuel tank was also used for ale carriage and even received an official designation, Mod. XXX. Spitfire Site reports how aircraft equipped with the necessary beer keg mountings or Mod. XXX often had to return to the UK for “maintenance” or “liaison duties”, only to arrive back in Normandy carrying vital supplies for the war effort – chilled to perfection at 2,000 feet.

It wasn’t long, however, before Britain’s HM Customs and Excise caught on and warned the brewery that it was violating the law by exporting beer without paying tax. And as Spitfire Site reports: “It seems that Mod. XXX was terminated then, but various squadrons found different ways to refurbish their stocks. Most often, this was done with the unofficial approval of higher echelons.”

supermarine-spitfire-beer-run-2.jpg

Yak-38U. A very low stress flying experience as the pilot had to remember not to roll it past 60deg from vertical or they would get automatically ejected.

yak38u-1.jpg

Forger

I read some where that the soviets lost a large number of these planes compared to the number built. Quick look around on the internet, automatic ejector seat being one cause.

B 36 6 piston driven pusher engines and 4 jet engines.
Convair_B-36_Peacemaker_in_flight.jpg

The wings were so thick at the root a man could stand up inside them. Its empty weight was 75 tonnes.

The victory bomber was a very serious project by Barnes Wallis
BrooklandsVictoryBomber.jpg

But the performance of the Merlin engine meant that Lancasters could do a similar job as it was designed for.

The OTRAG rocket was a german scientist's (Lutz Kayser) very odd plans with very odd countries to build a rocket.

31-10.jpg

Terrible mass fraction but mass producing loads of a little stages and bundling them together with the aim of a very cheap rocket.

Back
Top Bottom