Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Weird planes

A Stuka with what is apparently a wing-mounted compartment for dropping agents behind enemy lines, or transporting wounded:

ju87aufsatzbehlterdt4.jpg

It does look quite impressive doesn't it. One feels it could hold its own in a battle between x-wing and TIE fighters- within the atmosphere of a planet at least.

It looks like something out of an 80s cartoon. I should be able to go to toys r us and get a big plastic toy of it, full of missiles and badly-articulated pilots.

Also, what's going on with those white things behind the tail fins? One is longer than the other?

One of them is a backward-facing radar casing, the other houses the parachute.
ETA- beaten to it

It has recently been upgraded to an internal weapons bay to make it stealthier, and thrust-vectoring engines for even more ludicrous agility. Apparently the PAK-FA programme owes a great deal to this little bird.

interesting, but

• that undercarriage looks weedy
  • what about regulating the speed on approach :hmm:.
or
  • Is it x plane style ,wait for the fuel to run out and hope you can glide to a runway?
The mains look OK but you probably wouldn't want to lower the nose early.

I thinks it's a hybrid motor, rubber with an throttle controlled oxidiser.

I was reading earlier today on Wiki about the Su-47 technology demonstrator. It seems its design has more advantages than drawbacks. I'm surprised no country has ever brought a forward-swept fighter into production

sukhoi_su-47_plane_berkut_aircraft_military_hd-wallpaper-1190364.jpg

Better missles say no need for it :(

External liquid fuel tank for the Buran?
Think so, but its the top of an Enegia rocket. The Buran orbiter didn't have the main engines built in like the shuttle, they were in the main stack that I think this picture was part of.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    98.1 KB · Views: 11
I was reading earlier today on Wiki about the Su-47 technology demonstrator. It seems its design has more advantages than drawbacks. I'm surprised no country has ever brought a forward-swept fighter into production

Horribly unstable in yaw and the wing stalls from the aft of the quarter chord first so it's almost impossible to recover. It might be possible to engineer these deficiencies out with modern FBW systems, although Russia is about as well placed as Burkina Faso to achieve this. The putative advantages just aren't worth discarding 70 years worth of progress and knowledge on normally swept wings.

I saw a Beluga taking off from Toulouse today - probably empty as it did a pretty mean climb out. I have a properly terrible picture somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom