Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Weds 1st April: G20 protests - discussion, reaction and chat

I agree with you - every other business boarded up.
Kind of wierd that the branch* of RBS closest to Bank wasn't boarded up given the following:

People & Planet are calling a nationwide day of action to make the links between unaccountable financial power and its disasterous climate impacts. Focusing on RBS-NatWest, as part of the Ditch Dirty Development campaign, P&Pers will expose the bank’s foolish involvement in fossil fuel projects, and call for a just transition to renewable and sustainable energy sources. 1 April is a good time to mobilise for the AGM actions in London and Edinburgh.
http://www.g-20meltdown.org/node/29

(*listed as their 'City office' - also as the office that handles RBS financial spread betting, so hardly a typical branch http://www.rbs-sharedealing.co.uk/r.../financial-spread-betting/expert/funding.ashx )

The second guy - that's how some people see the situation - he wasn't as articulate as others might have been, but his view is valid, (I know you agree).

Yes I do agree, and like I say, I know it's hard to be lucid and eloquent in a crowd like that where emotions are high and stuff.

Just back from spending half an hour wandering through the climate camp on Bishopsgate. Lovely atmosphere. Drums & tents & bikes & face paints. Everybody waving to the people in the offices & quite a few waving back.

But... Heavy Police presence now at the London Wall junction and they aren't letting anybody else in at that end. Not sure how much longer they'll allow such a major arterial route to remain blocked or how people are going to react once they start trying to move them on.

The second guy - that's how some people see the situation - he wasn't as articulate as others might have been, but his view is valid, (I know you agree).

I thought the second guy was as articulate as he could be given what this country has given him in terms of education and opportunities. In fact I think he made his point quite well.

Do ya think these guys realise the actual corporate London HQ is around the corner on Bishopsgate? That's just a branch they've hit there. Not too bright.

Police apparently still not letting protestors disperse to get a cup of tea.

Protestors trying to organise to sit-in.

Just back from spending half an hour wandering through the climate camp on Bishopsgate. Lovely atmosphere. Drums & tents & bikes & face paints. Everybody waving to the people in the offices & quite a few waving back.

But... Heavy Police presence now at the London Wall junction and they aren't letting anybody else in at that end. Not sure how much longer they'll allow such a major arterial route to remain blocked or how people are going to react once they start trying to move them on.

I very nearly got penned in at that junction. "Once you're in, you're in" said the nice man in black overalls.

Do ya think these guys realise the actual corporate London HQ is around the corner on Bishopsgate? That's just a branch they've hit there. Not too bright.

Well, that's the entire reason for protesting invalidated, then :p

I've just heard there were staff in there.

If I worked in there and my boss said, ''You know all the stuff in the papers about a demo that might kick-off, and you know how a lot of people are quite pissed off about Fred the shred, and that some people just can't seem to help themselves but break windows on protests? Well, we're not going to board up the windows and you are to turn up as usual'', I'd laugh in his face.

I thought the second guy was as articulate as he could be given what this country has given him in terms of education and opportunities. In fact I think he made his point quite well.

Well said, my dear. I could give you a hug for pointing that out.
In fact, I will (((((Iemanja)))))

Well, that's the entire reason for protesting invalidated, then :p

It shows that people will kick off at any perceived symbol of who they think (or have been told) is the cause of their problems, rather than spending time realising where they want to be...

It shows that people will kick off at any perceived symbol of who they think (or have been told) is the cause of their problems, rather than spending time realising where they want to be...

doesn't seem to be much thought going on at all....looks like it is kicking off now...

We're still penned in at the Bank.

The vibe is still upbeat but some folks are getting well pissed off at being forced to stay here.

London Fire Brigade support ops vehicle just went screaming down Kingsway toward the embankment...

Police have now pushed everyone back from RBS. That's going to increase the crush quite a bit. It won't be very pleasant to be stuck in it for the rest of the day. Editor, where are you? Can you breathe?

I don't understand the point of walking out with a computer. You'd never be able to get it home. If I were of a mind to loot the building I'd have thought setting fire to it would make more sense.

The vibe is still upbeat but some folks are getting well pissed off at being forced to stay here.

Sit-in is best tactic. Also, engage with neighbour, maybe start some politican-related chants. BBC cameras are there so play to them and make those watching see what the protests are about.

We're watching it, it's live on BBC News, one of the reporters is there too.

Police apparently still not letting protestors disperse to get a cup of tea.

TBF, any protestors outside the Bank of England who are penned in and complaining are fucking stupid. They know the OB's tactics of penning in protests yet they organise in the most easily hemmed area in the City. There are half a dozen roads coming in to the Bank circus area that can all be blocked with a handful of coppers.

Anyone that didn't expect this is a bit dim.

Police have now pushed everyone back from RBS. That's going to increase the crush quite a bit. It won't be very pleasant to be stuck in it for the rest of the day. Editor, where are you? Can you breath?

I don't understand the point of walking out with a computer. You'd never be able to get it home. If I were of a mind to loot the building I'd have thought setting fire to it would make more sense.

And kill the people inside? how sensible :)

Guardian:

The crush is now extreme. "where do you expect us to go?" shout protestors.

Paul Lewis twittering for the Grauniad:

Had another look inside. This is a high st RBS branch - not HQ. Now ripped in bits. Filled with riot police now, but still being attacked

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

It's not just a normal retail branch. It's the RBS City office.

It is just a normal branch there are several of them in the City. Head office and trading is on Bishopsgate.

That's just where you'd go to bank or withdraw money, i.e. a retail branch

Back
Top Bottom