Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Weds 1st April: G20 protests - discussion, reaction and chat

I don't see the point in breaking windows of a bank. It's not like the everyday staff there are going to effect the ways of the world now their windows have been broken and they have been intimidated. In fact I'd be right fucked off with the protestors (and also my manager for not seeing this coming).

symbolic innit

It's symbolic - RBS is the one of the main signifers of this financial crisis.

symbolic isn't always good. Go to the main RBS buidling and bash it but not a little branch. I'd like to know if all the protestors don't have bank accounts or loans or mortgages because its the banks willingness to encourage people into debt that has bought about the economic crisis.

What I'm trying to say is are the people fighting the system also very much part of it?

TBF, any protestors outside the Bank of England who are penned in and complaining are fucking stupid. They know the OB's tactics of penning in protests yet they organise in the most easily hemmed area in the City. There are half a dozen roads coming in to the Bank circus area that can all be blocked with a handful of coppers.

Anyone that didn't expect this is a bit dim.
no-one needed to get penned in as at least 3 seperate entrances on the western sides were open as cops tried to prevent protestors getting to rbs on east side of threadneedle st. after some fairly mundane and minor jostling, cops were quick to don riot gear and get tsg involved with predictable outcomes i.e. people with bleeding heads and far greater confrontation from the people in the crowd. the cops were very much the instigators of the violence today so far from what i saw, black block running about all over with their own little detail of plod.

climate camp on bishopsgate looking good and peaceful with bicycle barriers across road but an ominous amount of cops starting to line up so i don't hold out hopes for their plans of a 24 hour occupation.

heard from a friend who said stw at grosvenor sq is pretty quiet atm with mainly swappies waving placards.

I don't see the point in breaking windows of a bank. It's not like the everyday staff there are going to effect the ways of the world now their windows have been broken and they have been intimidated. In fact I'd be right fucked off with the protestors (and also my manager for not seeing this coming).

It's not like it's the plan of the protest organisers. It's normally just one or two people who get overheated or are idiots.

RBS is pretty much taxpayer owned... they're breaking their own windows.

When I get my share certificate, I'll believe you, otherwise it seems to me that we've just acted as underwriters for their debts, which is not the same as being a part-owner with every other taxpayer in the country.

do I own the windows of everything that is paid for by taxes then?

We don't own shit, certainly not the branches just the fucking toxic assist shit (bad dept)

This expression of rightious anger is to be applauded, not least because it will really upset and piss off fucking scum and capital worshipping vermin who deserve to be pissed off. Fuck the cancerous lumps of shit and their property rights, they don't inhabit the same universe as me.

The RBS website calls it "the RBS City Office". On what basis are you saying different?
that their city office is round the courner as known to pretty much every londoner... that that building is a branch with the main IT support staff above it... you know like last time there was a protest outside it and again it was the visable building (which contained no business critical things) which was the focus not the head office...

;)
We don't own shit, certainly not the branches just the fucking toxic assist shit (bad dept)

This expression of rightious anger is to be applauded, not least because it will really upset and piss off fucking scum and capital worshipping vermin who deserve to be pissed off. Fuck the cancerous lumps of shit and their property rights, they don't inhabit the same universe as me.

don't bother me....my RBS shares are picking up...saying that wouldn't mind all this to knock a few more pence of them so can snaffle more up...oink oink

what difference would it make? do you think they'd would ACTUALLY BREAK the bank if they did that instead?!

No, but it might hit home a little more with people who actually pull the strings at RBS. I doubt much research was done here though somehow.

It's not like it's the plan of the protest organisers. It's normally just one or two people who get overheated or are idiots.

but people do know this'll happen. Not sure how you can stop it. June 18, whatever year it was, showed the city police just how much damage people will do.

(Did I tell you about getting stuck in McDonalds whils onthe June 18th March as the protestors ( or my fellow comrades in saving the planet) wrecked the front of the building? I only gone for a wee :D)

what difference would it make? do you think they'd would ACTUALLY BREAK the bank if they did that instead?!

It would make the protesters look like they knew what they were doing. Oh, and since they're tried to smash something up, the cops now have complete justification (to themselves and the Media) to break out the batons, and the other toys...

It would make the protesters look like they knew what they were doing. Oh, and since they're tried to smash something up, the cops now have complete justification (to themselves and the Media) to break out the batons...

plus when has smashing stuff up ever made any difference....post above MaccyD's getting done...did that cripple them...doesn't seem to do anyone any favours save the local glazier....

but people do know this'll happen. Not sure how you can stop it. June 18, whatever year it was, showed the city police just how much damage people will do.

(Did I tell you about getting stuck in McDonalds whils onthe June 18th March as the protestors ( or my fellow comrades in saving the planet) wrecked the front of the building? I only gone for a wee :D)

It's misguided anger - people feel powerless and that's the only way they can express it.

Actually, I'm not sure it's that misguided, at least they're not attacking people - only property.

No, but it might hit home a little more with people who actually pull the strings at RBS. I doubt much research was done here though somehow.

The only RBS peeps I've seen pissed off today is one trading desk when they found out that the Gaucho's on Broadgate Circle wasn't doing deliveries today.
(serious)

can you break a bank which is publiclly owned ;) :D

tbf tho they should ahve done the main office in terms of cost to the bank it'd be far greater to have their main city office out for a few weeks than to have a branch out (when in these cost cutting times it provides a fantastic incentive to say actually the branch was under performing cost wise we can save on pensions here and say it'll cost to much to repair and we have to be careful with peoples money as we are the peoples bank so fuck it close the branch...

where as they wouldn't likely close their main office in the city. In terms of longer term thinking you know but for sur of the moment reaction then yeah it doesn't matter it's symbolic...

Oh, and since they're tried to smash something up, the cops now have complete justification (to themselves and the Media) to break out the batons...
This is the problem - it means everyone gets thumped and the police are proved right and middle england is protected from the anarchists. The media gets interesting coverage and the message gets lost in shouts of 'riots, vandalism, anarchy!'

Justice and the law are becoming strangers in the UK. :(

Protesting will just get restricted even further now with extra legislation. I'm sure the government will see to it.

It would make the protesters look like they knew what they were doing. Oh, and since they're tried to smash something up, the cops now have complete justification (to themselves and the Media) to break out the batons, and the other toys...

right, so if they had somehow managed to try and storm the head office (which they wouldn't be able to get anywhere near anyway) there would be less trouble.

Back
Top Bottom