Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Weds 1st April: G20 protests - discussion, reaction and chat

If they held a non-violent protest for once Middle England might actually listen to them. And they'd be greater freedom in the future to protest. Today will just be used to force more legislation through... :(

Stop catastrophising. The demo is peaceful. 13 arrested for RBS property smashing.

so two ways of protesting don't work...maybe some other ideas should be thrown into the mix....simple fact is that violent protest will lose public support, peaceful protest will not....

Whatever ... the main problems come from disenchanted, chip on shoulder losers up for a ruck...no political agenda or desire for any change save making a nice change from watching daytime tv:)
peaceful protest becomes difficult when the cops are clearly up for a fight, as happened from what i observed first hand.

are any bank workers being beaten? or is it just a building being smashed up?

Ye fucking godz. Some of the workers in there will be young lasses not much more than kids and the daft bastards that did this will justify that shit with political reasons not worthy of a client in a hospital dedicated to people with an IQ of less than 50.

So how do you think that the poor sods working in there feel while their place of work is under attack and being smashed up by a set of silly bastards?

Is it "Oh, the building is being smashed up, lets have a cuppa until they have finished and then we'll get the sweeping brushes out" or maybe it's "Fuck me, am I safe here and will I ever see my family again?".

I would tend to think it would be the latter and that makes the people that did this a mindless bunch of cunts. :)

Is it just me or the footage of the RBS window being smashed look terribly staged?
Only one person doing it and he’s surrounded by nothing but photographers and TV crews

An office. In the City of London.
Also listed on the RBS website as the office that handles, amongst other things, financial spread betting - for the entire RBS group, so it isn't just a standard high street branch like you'd find in most towns.

Feel free to keep repeating that it is 'just another office' or 'just another branch'. Some evidence of what it does exactly is there on the RBS website for everyone to make their own minds up. I'll leave it at that.

Ye fucking godz. Some of the workers in there will be young lasses not much more than kids and the daft bastards that did this will justify that shit with political reasons not worthy of a client in a hospital dedicated to people with an IQ of less than 50.

So how do you think that the poor sods working in there feel while their place of work is under attack and being smashed up by a set of silly bastards?

Is it "Oh, the building is being smashed up, lets have a cuppa until they have finished and then we'll get the sweeping brushes out" or maybe it's "Fuck me, am I safe here and will I ever see my family again?".

I would tend to think it would be the latter and that makes the people that did this a mindless bunch of cunts. :)

ha so you think the branch was open with staff?!! when it was at the centre of the area of the protest, and every single other bank was boarded up?!! bit of an oversite on the managers part.

peaceful protest becomes difficult when the cops are clearly up for a fight, as happened from what i observed first hand.

Where? I've only seen protestors attacking coppers so far.

Thing is they want to move the protest further up the road now. Why the fuck should the cops let them do that when they've already smashed up one bank and would be walking past countless others if allowed free movement?

Also listed on the RBS website as the office that handles, amongst other things, financial spread betting - for the entire RBS group, so it isn't just a standard high street branch like you'd find in most towns.

Feel free to keep repeating that it is 'just another office' or 'just another branch'. Some evidence of what it does exactly is there on the RBS website for everyone to make their own minds up. I'll leave it at that.

So you'd rather go by whats on a web site, rather than people's direct experience...? :hmm:

Again I have no idea why RBS decided to have that branch manned (if it was) and left without windows boarded. I don't know why the police didn't make them shut it.

it can't achieve any less than peaceful protests

Yes it can. It turns public opinion away from the protests and so nullifies any of the points that the majority of peaceful protester are trying to make.

I can't say I think much of the protests in general but the daft bastards out for trouble are making the efforts of the rest a waste of time.:)

i don't know... I doubt it.

* stands on soapbox on speaker's corner ;)

They won't listen no matter what, they have their own agenda and that's that. They might give in on minor things to make us think they're listening, or if they think they're about to lose the election...

The minute they're elected the earplugs go in (there's a couple of decent politicians out there, sure, but the system is just too big for so few to be able to change it)

e2a: Having said that, going out and protesting is still important - people need to be able to go out and gather and speak their minds, even if nothing gets done.

London City Office, doesn't mean HQ. They also have a Mayfair Office and a Trafalgar Square office.
I never said it was the RBS HQ.
Honestly, it's a branch with cashiers, a bureau de change and cashpoints. I've used it.
It can have all those things *and* be the office that handles, for example, financial spread betting for the whole RBS group - as indicated by the RBS website. Go and check for yourself.

The building was empty.

do I own the windows of everything that is paid for by taxes then?

I work for Lambeth council, that means that my council tax is paying for this computer. If I smash it up, they can't punish me because it's mine :cool:

Is it just me or the footage of the RBS window being smashed look terribly staged?
Only one person doing it and he’s surrounded by nothing but photographers and TV crews

I was watching all the coverage on BBC 24 and there looked to be as many cameramen and photographers at the event as there were protestors

you know that some of us are local to the area right as well as some of us having worked in and around that area for year as in we've given others directions to the places before now kinda local....

it's not just a standard branch however it's not important to the running and day to day security (or securities - you see what i did there) of the RBS really... ffs

ha so you think the branch was open with staff?!! when it was at the centre of the area of the protest, and every single other bank was boarded up?!! bit of an oversite on the managers part.

I agree that it was a bad move by RBS but can you explain why that makes my post any the less valid or in any way justifies the actions of these cretins please. :)

Police tactic seems to be to allowing people to leave to the west. Not before time. It's tea-and-cake time, for goodness sake.

Those who remain are still protesting peacefully outside the Bank of England

The BBC keep reiterating that there was no-one actually working in the RBS on Threadneedle St.

Arrests 19 now, but 11 of those were as a result of the Spacejacker vehicle first thing.

I agree that it was a bad move by RBS but can you explain why that makes my post any the less valid or in any way justifies the actions of these cretins please. :)

it means the image you created in your poetic post wasn't true, is all.

This is the problem - it means everyone gets thumped and the police are proved right and middle england is protected from the anarchists. The media gets interesting coverage and the message gets lost in shouts of 'riots, vandalism, anarchy!'

Yeah, but you know as well as I do that if it had gone off peacefully it wouldn't have gotten three lines in the paper. You can't beat the system this way.

The dirty minx bank wus asking for it - not wearing any boards and exposing its windows for all to see. The fucking dirty little slut bank wanted to be trashed!

Who has been justifying the actions of those few people who did break RBS windows? The vast majority of the protesters want peaceful protest. The actions of a tiny number of people do not invalidate the protest.

Go and check for yourself.

I'm not that interested, Float. :D

I doubt the twats that trashed it are either.

If the protestors wanted to hinder the financial operation they would've gone to Bishopsgate where all the trading floors and corporate finance guys are. They didn't, they just wanted to smash something up and that branch was one of the only local businesses that isn't boarded up!

Back
Top Bottom