Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Weds 1st April: G20 protests - discussion, reaction and chat

[
On the other hand the poll tax riots did the trick (for a bit) but a while later council tax was introduced when no one was looking :mad:

I have a feeling the changing of the poll tax was already on the cards. Because it seemed that the change to council tax was too swift and smooth. ANd I can't believe a few burnmt buildings and an angry mob would change the way the Government collects it's money.

With a deft turn of speed, me and LDR managed to evade the baton-wielding riot cops, with a quick turn up a little alley and WE WERE FREE!

We're now enjoying a recovering coffee. :)

Kanda, then I guess the middle ground is that the branch wasn't open on a retail basis even if there were some staff working on the upper floors.

Where? I've only seen protestors attacking coppers so far.

Thing is they want to move the protest further up the road now. Why the fuck should the cops let them do that when they've already smashed up one bank and would be walking past countless others if allowed free movement?
So where are you seeing this then?

I'm not that interested, Float. :D

I doubt the twats that trashed it are either.

If the protestors wanted to hinder the financial operation they would've gone to Bishopsgate where all the trading floors and corporate finance guys are. They didn't, they just wanted to smash something up and that branch was one of the only local businesses that isn't boarded up!

I doubt they would have gone to Bishopsgate, the climate change people are there.

Kanda, then I guess the middle ground is that the branch wasn't open on a retail basis even if there were some staff working on the upper floors.

you mean there WEREN'T terrified young bank tellers being terrorised by hordes of protestors then?

Imo, when the protests today are tomorrows chip paper, no matter how much of a 'spectacle' now, the worker occupations by hundreds of employees of Visteon in Belfast and Basildon (yes Basildon) will in the long term be more significant.

Graun:

Mounted police were stationed belatedly outside the RBS branch which came under attack and officers went inside with police dogs. The building has now been cleared and sealed off.

Matthew Weaver saw a protester come out covered in blood...

Some demonstrators told the Press Association said they had seen incidents of police brutality and complained that officers had occasionally "gone over the top".

But remember kids - the safety of property is more important...

Big win for the people who broke into the bank. Much more influential headlines than if the demo had been peaceful.

rbs.jpg

To repeat, the branch is closed today. There aren't staff as young as children in there. :rolleyes:

If the protestors wanted to hinder the financial operation they would've gone to Bishopsgate where all the trading floors and corporate finance guys are.

"The bailed-out bank was known to be a target of anti-capitalist groups in advance of the protests, but police efforts had concentrated on defending its headquarters on Bishopsgate in Liverpool Street, around half a mile away." telegraph

Maybe this RBS office was an easier target?

well exactly. i spent 2 hours circling the whole damned thing at first hand and i'm telling you that the police response to a bit of jostling was all-out instant aggression, when i get home, i'll load some pics as they scurry to kit out officers in riot gear.

they said that they were "up to it and up for it" - well i can certainly vouch for the fact that they're not shy of starting a fight today.

:mad:
i think i might like to try and find some urbans before i set out - anyone with editor or ldr's phone number (i've lost them both) please could you pm me - or if you're an urban i know and you're out protesting already and wouldn't mind a hanger-on....

:( @ protestor coming out with blood on 'em..

They just read a statement from RBS on BBC which says they took the precaution of closing the branch. Didn't mention the presence or otherwise of staff, however.

Exactly.

But now I can see why it hasn't been set fire to - yet - it's full of protestors chucking computers out of the windows. Some have got to the roof, says the Skycopter. Could be an interesting day!

Two people got onto the roof and were promptly arrested

you mean there WEREN'T terrified young bank tellers being terrorised by hordes of protestors then?

The imaginary tellers were kidnapped by the imaginary hordes, they are being held for an imaginary ransom at an imaginary location in a hologram.

They just read a statement from RBS on BBC which says they took the precaution of closing the branch. Didn't mention the presence or otherwise of staff, however.

Its a branch (closed for the day) with some offices (which might be open)...

"The bailed-out bank was known to be a target of anti-capitalist groups in advance of the protests, but police efforts had concentrated on defending its headquarters on Bishopsgate in Liverpool Street, around half a mile away." telegraph

Maybe this RBS office was an easier target?

Probably, but if they hadn't smashed it up and the whole gig had gone off without that kind of shit, it would have had far more weight and relevance to most people. As it is the headlines are going to be about that branch getting fucked.

Only fucking idiots like that Nick h prick (above) could possibly suggest that this was a positive incident.

well exactly. i spent 2 hours circling the whole damned thing at first hand and i'm telling you that the police response to a bit of jostling was all-out instant aggression, when i get home, i'll load some pics as they scurry to kit out officers in riot gear.

Cool.

Gruan:

Cops clearly don't like bob marley just randomly charging the demo during 'one love'

Fuckpigs. I hope they play "Burning and Looting Tonight" tonight.

One love.

I'd like an update on the other protests now.

e2a. BBC News have just begun their coverage of the War protest.

What I don't understand is how Tony Benn can be speaking there when he's also meant to be speaking at the Alternative Summit starting in ½ hour :D

its a bit like Tottenham chelsea really, just with less burberry and dreadlocks replacing ralph lauren caps

>What I don't understand is how Tony Benn can be speaking there when he's >also meant to be speaking at the Alternative Summit starting in ½ hour

The secret weapon of the protestors is a cloned army of Tony Benns. It's true.

matt

Back
Top Bottom