Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Weds 1st April: G20 protests - discussion, reaction and chat

Arrests 19 now, but 11 of those were as a result of the Spacejacker vehicle first thing.
I read that the spacejackers were allowed to proceed as the vehicle was fully taxed and road legal, thus the cops could do nowt about it...

???

but people do know this'll happen. Not sure how you can stop it. June 18, whatever year it was, showed the city police just how much damage people will do.

(Did I tell you about getting stuck in McDonalds whils onthe June 18th March as the protestors ( or my fellow comrades in saving the planet) wrecked the front of the building? I only gone for a wee :D)

This is part of it. Show that people can have the power, not politicians or bankers.

I read that the spacejackers were allowed to proceed as the vehicle was fully taxed and road legal, thus the cops could do nowt about it...

???

Didn't they have police uniforms? Wasn't that the reason?

:D

???

I thought they were arrested for impersonating police officers, not the tank??? (They had riot police gear on didn't they?)

What I don't understand is how Tony Benn can be speaking there when he's also meant to be speaking at the Alternative Summit starting in ½ hour :D
The alternative summit depends on somehow getting into the campus and occupying it, as the university has officially been shut. Maybe the speakers are waiting to hear that it has been 'opened' again?

???

They got done a bit later on when the OB consulted the rule book and realised they could get em for being in possssion of police uniforms, apparently.

The alternative summit depends on somehow getting into the campus and occupying it, as the university has officially been shut. Maybe the speakers are waiting to hear that it has been 'opened' again?

Probably, I wondered how that Alternative Summit thing was realistically going to go ahead with the full complement of speakers in the circumstances.

Guardian: 3.42pm

The crowd has disipated, but the anarchist block reconverged on queen vic street. They are rowdy again, and ...

:hmm:

The climate camp bit is on Bishopsgate between the top of Threadneedle Street and the junction with London Wall.

Imo, when the protests today are tomorrows chip paper, no matter how much of a 'spectacle' now, the worker occupations by hundreds of employees of Visteon in Belfast and Basildon (yes Basildon) will in the long term be more significant.

yep

Guardian: 3.42pm

The crowd has disipated, but the anarchist block reconverged on queen vic street. They are rowdy again, and ...

:hmm:
i was speaking to someone off that way who said that the black block were up for some extended shenanigans into the night so i can well believe this. whether they manage to evade their perpetual police shadow is quite another thing however.

Probably, but if they hadn't smashed it up and the whole gig had gone off without that kind of shit it would have had far more weight and relevance to most people. As it is the headlines are going to be about that branch getting fucked.

Only fucking idiots like that Nick h prick (above) could posibbly suggest that this was a positive incident.

Cool.

In an ideal world you would be right. But you're ignoring the way the media and politicians interact. If there were 500,000 demonstrators they would make a big political impact without having to trash anything. But all we've got is small groups of protestors scattered all over the place. If they are peaceful they get no headlines. But a handful have broken some windows and computers owned by one of the symbolic bad boys of the credit crunch and given some of the press the hook they needed for a story they wanted to write anyway. (well, they really wanted to write that middle england is rising up - but they can't.) But thanks to a few vandals they have written that public anger has overshadowed G20, the inference being that Gordon is humbled and doomed. That Times headline is absurdly disproportionate - they should have gone with your line - 'anarchists ruin a day of dignified protest by attacking the wrong target - but they chose not to.

So here we have half a dozen boneheads helping the Murdoch press to get Cameron in at the next election. That's today's real story.

sign.jpg

But thanks to a few vandals they have written that public anger has overshadowed G20, the inference being that Gordon is humbled and doomed. That Times headline is absurdly disproportionate - they should have gone with your line - 'anarchists ruin a day of dignified protest by attacking the wrong target - but they chose not to.

The Public aren't protesting. The Public are Middle Englanders sitting at home watching the news. And G20 hasn't started yet.

The news from the G20 will the decisions made, not that two figure-heads have shaken hands.

Originally Posted by Schmeegal
Is it just me or the footage of the RBS window being smashed look terribly staged?
Only one person doing it and he’s surrounded by nothing but photographers and TV crews
Yeap, I thought that too...One guys loads of photographers...

Yes, it does indeed

Ooh, BBC bloke was just there inside the lines by RBS as I think a snatch squad went in - the camera cut off immediately, of course, wouldn't want anyone to see that.

Back
Top Bottom