Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

War on Woke: Conservative Cultural Campaigning

Peter Snows annual wearing of the white poppy. And people cry cos that NI footballer won't wear one, or something. Its become more... maybe less solemn? I don't remember people building full scale dioramas of the Somme in their front garden years back

When I was in school late 90's early 2000's it was a minor event I'm pretty sure. The wars in the Gulf and the subsequent narrative that was built around Wooten Basset and war heros has massively contributed towards where we are now in my opinion. It then ties in nicely into the nationalist sentiments that many want to push.

In US schools kids pledge allegiance to the flag every morning. ("All states except California, Hawaii, Iowa, Vermont, and Wyoming require a regularly scheduled recitation of the pledge in public schools. California requires a "patriotic exercise" every day, which would be satisfied by the Pledge, but it is not enforced.")

...this would be a good next step for the Tories, pledging allegiance might be too much just yet, but force all schools and universities to fly a union jack. Any objectors are clearly cultural marxist infiltrators of the education system. Resulting shitstorm a perfectly polarising event. The Tories then win the vote to make the flags obligatory and another piece of territory is won and staked out within the cultural civil war. No incoming government would dare repeal.

Ive just made that up, but that's the dynamic we are in now, just a matter of how far it goes. They're on the BBCs case right now, but it won't end there.

In US schools kids pledge allegiance to the flag every morning. ("All states except California, Hawaii, Iowa, Vermont, and Wyoming require a regularly scheduled recitation of the pledge in public schools. California requires a "patriotic exercise" every day, which would be satisfied by the Pledge, but it is not enforced.")

...this would be a good next step for the Tories, pledging allegiance might be too much just yet, but force all schools and universities to fly a union jack. Any objectors are clearly cultural marxist infiltrators of the education system. Resulting shitstorm a perfectly polarising event. The Tories then win the vote to make the flags obligatory and another piece of territory is won and staked out within the cultural civil war. No incoming government would dare repeal.

Ive just made that up, but that's the dynamic we are in now, just a matter of how far it goes. They're on the BBCs case right now, but it won't end there.

The youth I know at south London secondary schools would not stand for this and it would be mercilessly and openly mocked. So let’s go for it

The youth I know at south London secondary schools would not stand for this and it would be mercilessly and openly mocked. So let’s go for it

'Look at these scary Urban kids disrespecting the flag' would be a top result for them though wouldn't it - exactly the sort of stuff they'd want to provoke with it.

inching closer

When I was in school late 90's early 2000's it was a minor event I'm pretty sure. The wars in the Gulf and the subsequent narrative that was built around Wooten Basset and war heros has massively contributed towards where we are now in my opinion. It then ties in nicely into the nationalist sentiments that many want to push.

I was at school during the late 80s early 90s, and although there wasn't poppies everywhere for about a month like now we were semi-expected to go to the Remembrance Day service in either of the two towns nearest our village. I don't remember them being at all jingoistic, just a few prayers, the reading of the names of the dead and then the last post. Come to think of it, I don't even remember there being that many march-pasts, though there were a lot of WW2 veterans in attendance.

It is much different now though, I don't wear a poppy (except on the day) and you can tell people notice you aren't wearing one.

I was at school during the late 80s early 90s, and although there wasn't poppies everywhere for about a month like now we were semi-expected to go to the Remembrance Day service in either of the two towns nearest our village. I don't remember them being at all jingoistic, just a few prayers, the reading of the names of the dead and then the last post. Come to think of it, I don't even remember there being that many march-pasts, though there were a lot of WW2 veterans in attendance.

It is much different now though, I don't wear a poppy (except on the day) and you can tell people notice you aren't wearing one.
I left school in 1983 after my A levels, I don't remember a lot of fuss about poppies . People wore them but there didn't seem to be much fuss about people not wearing them. But, there wasn't social media to have a fuss about it , so people might have been bothered by non poppy wearing people but you didn't hear about it .

Coverage is sombre and respectful on the telly but not ukippy as it has become.

Yeah, would get a few comments at work or in the local. They stopped when I suggested a compromise, would wear a poppy if they wore a lily at Easter.

yes - going home especially (bear in mind this is a place where I got grief just for buying the Princess Diana issue of Private Eye)
The Diana stuff was madness , seem to be a mass psychosis , thousands going to Kensington , leaving flowers , crying and that. I didn't know anyone who actually did that but it seemed hundreds of thousands did.

Back
Top Bottom