Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

War on Woke: Conservative Cultural Campaigning

It's almost as if The Telegraph caters to an increasingly older readership of peope who use offensive terms at family lunches and embarrass the younger generations of their own families.
The only Telegraph reader I know off the top of my head was a great friends grandmother - she kept a running tally of black people on television, and sent it in to the BBC each week with her notes on when, where, and why they were appearing on screen. She had several Rolls Royce’s in varying shades of pastels (I was only ever in the primrose yellow one), and had a thing for ginger toyboys. She has ever since formed the entirety of my impression of what a Telegraph reader is.

The only Telegraph reader I know off the top of my head was a great friends grandmother - she kept a running tally of black people on television, and sent it in to the BBC each week with her notes on when, where, and why they were appearing on screen. She had several Rolls Royce’s in varying shades of pastels, and had a thing for ginger toyboys. She has ever since formed the entirety of my impression of what a Telegraph reader is.
Christ. Everyone has to have a hobby I suppose :hmm:

Christ. Everyone has to have a hobby I suppose :hmm:
Well, yes, there is that. Apparently, writing off to Points of View to ask why so many ‘colonials’ were appearing on her favourite television programmes was one of hers.

The old girl didn’t tell me that personally - my friend told me, and her mother (who despised her mother in law) backed it up. At my friends 21st (she was a twin), the favourite granddaughter was given granny's prized tiara - and my friend was given a card with a £5 note in it - the atmosphere at that dinner suddenly went south, and never recovered. It was a really uncomfortable social experience for us all.

To me, every time the Daily Telegraph is mentioned, I think of that twinkly eyed old bitch with her private chapel and her divided family. In fairness, she was always charming to me.

I can’t think what other type of person would buy or read the thing. It’s purely for old cunts with warped worldviews.

Last edited:
interesting bit of statistics in the FT today
conclusion: all the culture war stuff firms up the rights older voters but is losing them the next generation of votes "shattering the oldest rule in politics by no longer adopting conservative views as they age"

no point C+Ping the whole thing but....
"For one thing, this millennial voting pattern appears to be almost exclusively anglophone, according to work by Morten Støstad, a researcher at the Paris School of Economics. Across continental Europe, the same generation continues to follow its ancestors gradually rightward, but from the UK and US to Canada, Australia and New Zealand, they have veered away from the traditional path.
This is a smoking gun for three reasons...."

Entertained by the Daily Express complaining that new 'Great Expectations' adaptation is 'too woke', with the only example given being that someone says 'fucking'. Not sure what's woke about that but hey. Seems to be an implication it might be talking too much about social inequalities, a topic that of course Dickens didn't write about at all, having no time for social commentary and merely writing frothy, jolly British books.

Of course, the bit they're not saying out loud is that it has actors in it who aren't white.

Entertained by the Daily Express complaining that new 'Great Expectations' adaptation is 'too woke', with the only example given being that someone says 'fucking'. Not sure what's woke about that but hey. Seems to be an implication it might be talking too much about social inequalities, a topic that of course Dickens didn't write about at all, having no time for social commentary and merely writing frothy, jolly British books.

Of course, the bit they're not saying out loud is that it has actors in it who aren't white.

I have been arguing with folk on twitter about this , most of whom are refusing to watch it as it is "woke crap' , how would they know if they don't watch it ?

I did watch it last night , loved it , Great Expectations is one of my favourites, it had all the characters, mostly in the right order , and seemed typical of Dickens TV.

I have been arguing with folk on twitter about this , most of whom are refusing to watch it as it is "woke crap' , how would they know if they don't watch it ?

I did watch it last night , loved it , Great Expectations is one of my favourites, it had all the characters, mostly in the right order , and seemed typical of Dickens TV.
Why watch it when you can get all your opinions told to you via the Daily Heil and Express and the Mail Online? :facepalm:

The 'reviewers' probably didn't even watch it, they're just determined to say that everything involving the BBC is 'woke'. But yet again, this is all proof that these morons just use woke to mean 'anything that's not like it was in our day' now.

Is ‘viewers slam it for being too dark’ not a massive fucking racist dogwhistle? I mean we all know what they mean by that.

I don't think that is going to have the effect they plan. Yes, a few shit-heads will agree, but they are already lost in a world of hate. Seeing the youngest person there is Emma Watson at 33, it's not going after the lazy millennial or Gen-Z trope. They include the National Trust, but the anti-woke brigade has already lost there. So on the whole, if anything, I think it will make more people stop and think and realise that the DM are talking shit.

If they think Gary Lineker is 'woke', just wait till they see what Neville Southall thinks.

I'm sure they'll go back to being fine with the police once another officer rapes and murders a woman.

I see they’re still pretending Piers Morgan was fired - by a woman, one who ran an origami workshop no less. That’s not what happened. Along with a million other people, I watched him walk off air, live. That’s not being fired by anyone’s definition. That’s walking out on the job you’re being paid to do because you have the conflict resolution skills of a belligerent teenager who is struggling with a particularly tough puberty, leaving your colleagues to cover for you without any warning. That’s not being forced out of employment by a right on wokist origami fan.

My favourite is the institutionally racist woke police
‘Scots born Queen of Caledonian virtue signalling’ is quite good. Bit of a mouthful though, so it wouldn't work in the heat of an argument with one...‘and then she turned around and shouted “you’re just a Scots born Queen of Caledonian virtue signalling”’.

I can't read "Queen of Caledonian virtue signalling" without hearing as if Mark E Smith was saying it
Get it right. It’s ‘Scots born Queen of Caledonian virtue signalling’. You have to do the full thing for the full effect, you can’t leave out starting with what the Daily Mail evidently finds the most damning put down of all.

Back
Top Bottom