Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

War of the Worlds - BBC

it lost me last week. I watched again tonight but the end was rubbish.

tbh, I've lost interest in His Dark Materials too. Anything else worth watching on Sunday nights?

First episode was ok, second episode was fairly poor although I did enjoy the bit on the beach (should have included hms thunderchild ramming one of them though) third episode was total rubbish

This was absolute dog shit the whole way through. I invested in it because it was only three episodes and thank goodness for that. So much potential, such rich source material to work with only to come up with this, whatever the fuck this was.

I enjoyed it, not overly fussed on the departures from the book but overall a good bit of entertainment that i was happy to watch.

I decided it was a bit rubbish last week but watched last night as there was nothing else on but it really wasn't worth the watch.

I decided it was a bit rubbish last week but watched last night as there was nothing else on but it really wasn't worth the watch.
It was pretty pisspoor at any rate, and probably made to look even worse by showing it at prime time on a Sunday and right after His Dark Materials to boot.

They should have shown the vastly more watchable and entertaining Vienna Blood instead, which has flown under most people’s radar due to receiving almost no promotion from the Beeb and being relegated to a shirty Monday night time slot on BBC2.

Concludes tonight (3-episode mini series just like War of the Worlds was) but first Teo episodes on the iPlayer and if you’re stuck for something to watch you could do far worse than this.

Episode three was an anticlimax. Really strange pacing. Or lack thereof.
And it diverted significantly from the book. I didn’t mind some of the other differences such as the split time line, as it offered freshness to those who’ve read the book. But the love triangle subplot in episode one was a complete waste of time and didn’t even contribute much to the wider story, and the fate of the spouse of the protagonist is quite different (unless I’m remembering the novel wrong, which I read many years ago).

I haven't seen the final episode, I was watching the first 2 just for the sake of it. Nice to look at but didn't grab me in anyway.
I kept having to go back as my attention was wandering.
I'll probably watch the final one though :facepalm:

And it diverted significantly from the book. I didn’t mind some of the other differences such as the split time line, as it offered freshness to those who’ve read the book. But the love triangle subplot in episode one was a complete waste of time and didn’t even contribute much to the wider story, and the fate of the spouse of the protagonist is quite different (unless I’m remembering the novel wrong, which I read many years ago).
It’s so long since I read the book I can’t make a serious comparison. I must have been 10 or 11. So nearly 10 years ago.

Fiance rather than spouse, and she sailed off on a ship bound for america i think, a good excuse for me to read it again and i will move the Stephen Baxter sequel The Massacre of Mankind to the top of the to read pile as well.

Also i think if they'd been totally faithful to the book it would have been a bit dull.

It was very disappointing. I was so excited about it as I used to love the Jeff Wayne album and the art that came with it.

I've bought HG Wells complete works for 99p for my Kindle so I can read it.

Another vote for Vienna Blood as well - far superior!

On the heels of the disappointing BBC mini-series, there already is a new tv version of War of the Worlds, which by the looks of it has so little in common with HG Wells, it’s odd that they even called it that. A French-American coproduction starring Gabriel Byrne, it has been better received than the BBC adaptation and apparently takes a Black Mirror meets The Walking Dead approach.

On the heels of the disappointing BBC mini-series, there already is a new tv version of War of the Worlds, which by the looks of it has so little in common with HG Wells, it’s odd that they even called it that. A French-American coproduction starring Gabriel Byrne, it has been better received than the BBC adaptation and apparently takes a Black Mirror meets The Walking Dead approach.

It's equally as bad, if not worse.

I've got one more episode to go and I'm actually quite enjoying this. I still have no idea why they decided to call this War of the Worlds, it bears no resemblance to HG Wells and it would have been better with a different title.

It's by Howard Overman who also created Misfits and it has a good cast. Gabriel Byrne and Elizabeth McGovern are the leads and the show is primarily character driven. The premise is that most people in the areas which were under the alien attack got killed instantly, only those in places surrounded by metal have survived, so it's more a post-apocalyptic series than about a war. It's about how two loosely connected groups of characters survive (or not), one in London, one in France. This is extremely bleak, which is something I quite enjoy. The main threat in this are dog-sized quadruped robots, similar to the ones in the Black Mirror episode Metalhead of which this could be considered to be an expansion. They are a bit silly in a Dr Who sort of way but also there are a few mysteries as to what the aliens are and why they are here.

Last edited:
Might take some of the disappointment away!

Some 'War of the Worlds' drawings by Henrique Alvim Corrêa.

View attachment 233309
Nice drawings but this one doesn't look particularly scary. It looks like Lowry meets Button Moon :D

bcc9e1dd-b0ac-4b47-b6a5-39d615c665bf-jpeg.233309

Back
Top Bottom