Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

War of the Worlds - BBC

I think the constant flash forwards to the post apocalyptic grimness as well as being disorientating, also has the effect of chopping the legs of the drama - as it doesn't really matter what the protagonists do cos they are heading for a world of shite.

I think the constant flash forwards to the post apocalyptic grimness as well as being disorientating, also has the effect of chopping the legs of the drama - as it doesn't really matter what the protagonists do cos they are heading for a world of shite.
:confused:

sounds relevant to the real world as well

I liked the Tom Cruise movie (which I prefer to refer to as a Spielberg movie) till they meet up with Tim Robbin‘s character and then it looses momentum. I didn’t mind Cruise in it, he is fine in action roles where he is mainly required to run around. His slightly blank hero who mainly is a witness to the destruction, is not a bad stand in for the narrator of the book. Several of the key events from the novel are quite spectacular in the film. Despite the update, it still caught the feel of the novel far better than the mini-series. I tried to watch all of the series but I gave up half way through episode 2.

Of course the best adaptation still is:

CF919318-C819-4D3A-8D82-0E179CB02840.jpeg

Ullaaaa ! :cool:

Last edited:
I liked the Tom Cruise movie (which I prefer to refer to as a Spielberg movie) till they meet up with Tim Robbin‘s character and then it looses momentum. I didn’t mind Cruise in it, he is fine in action roles where he is mainly required to run around. Despite the update, it still caught the feel of the novel far better than the mini-series. I tried to watch all of the series but I gave up half way through episode 2.

View attachment 191088

Farewell Thunder Child.....

The album took liberties with the book too but it at least didn't try to near re-write it.

My dad had the tape copy, which he played on our-then high tec Ferguson dolby sound music centre-utterly terrified me as a kid.

I don’t necessarily regard the best adaptation always as the most faithful, but if you change stuff, at least come up with something better. In the case of Jeff Wayne the improvement is.....prog rock ! :D

I’m listening to the unabridged book being read aloud on the wireless.

It’s great. I listened to some as I went to sleep last night and had dreams filled with apocalyptic themes.

I hated the LP, probably because I was a guitar rock and roll snob the first time I heard it. I may go back and give it a listen. The Tom Cruise/Spielberg film is fine as a Tom Cruise/Spielberg film. I just pretended I didn’t know the book and that the film was written for the film itself. It does the job pretty well, and far better than many others of it’s ilk (Independence Day is risible, for instance).

I’m aiming to look at this TV adaptation at some point, but I have to say that knowing it was on just made me want to revisit the book, and lo and behold, it’s on the Beeb s an audiobook right now. No idea if it’s a link-in or a coincidence (Radio 4 are airing loads of classic books right now).

Anyway, here’s the Radio 4 version. No dramatics, no music, no cuts, just good reading aloud.

BBC Sounds - The War of the Worlds by HG Wells, Book 1 - Chapter 1

It was only last year on these boards that I discovered that Jeff Wayne is not Jeff Lynne. And that he’s really only famous for War of the Worlds.

Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds!

Who?

Jeff Wayne.

What’s he famous for?

War of the Worlds.

There also was the Orson Welles broadcast from the 30s, which is famous for having caused a panic. He adapted the novel in the form of contemporary news broadcasts and people thought the martian invasion was for real.

cf919318-c819-4d3a-8d82-0e179cb02840-jpeg.191088

I listened to that on vinyl at a family friends house when I was about 11. I was captivated.

There also was the Orson Welles broadcast from the 30s, which is famous for having caused a panic. He adapted the novel in the form of contemporary news broadcasts and people thought the martian invasion was for real.

They replayed that on R4 some time ago and I really enjoyed it, might still be on sounds

Yes. There was a film, probably a TV film, about that incident many years ago. I don’t remember much more than it dramatised the panic.

Yes. There was a film, probably a TV film, about that incident many years ago. I don’t remember much more than it dramatised the panic.
Should be a few scare quotes in there. The so-called panic was vastly overstated, it didn't even amount to a hill of beans.

Back
Top Bottom