Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

The Reckoning - BBC Savile drama

That seems fairly likely, there's been a few bits that are very similar to the documentary. The bit where the interviewer/Theroux stays in the mother's bedroom in Scarborough with the wardrobe full of clothes for example.

I've got one episode left to go, but so far it's been pretty well done even though it's not a particularly enjoyable thing to watch. Brave move by Coogan to play it, but he pulled it off I reckon.
I read a review somewhere that the interview for a book aspect of it could have been based on the Louis Theroux interview. Would be interesting to go back and watch that, how much was said or hinted at... I've seen it, but don't really remember it.

No, it wasn't Theroux, although someone said the same earlier in the thread. The character was a real reporter called Dan Davies whose story is accurately depicted. As a kid he was in the audience on fix it and formed a relationship with Savile as an adult where he interviewed him numerous times with the intention of writing a biography.

I thought Coogan''s impression was good but he slipped into Paul Calf several times when he was trying to be funny.

I'm a couple of episodes in and, my God, it's tough to watch. Agree with not-bono-ever about how it could've wrecked Steve Coogan's career if he hadn't portrayed him so well.

I also agree with story (who's taking a break from the thread so I won't tag) about it being worthwhile to be made. The parallels to Jimmy McGovern's 'Hillsborough' that others have made are good ones, I think. That series was harrowing but brilliant and gave a voice to many who were still being ignored. I hope the real people in this programme feel similarly.

Oh man, the girl going off with him in his van at the end of the 2nd episode. :( That had the same effect on me as the chilling scene in 'Hillsborough' as the fans descend into the tunnel at Leppings Lane.

I'll watch the rest but might need to give it a bit before I do. Really powerful drama but, unsurprisingly, genuinely upsetting.

I'm a couple of episodes in and, my God, it's tough to watch. Agree with not-bono-ever about how it could've wrecked Steve Coogan's career if he hadn't portrayed him so well.

I also agree with story (who's taking a break from the thread so I won't tag) about it being worthwhile to be made. The parallels to Jimmy McGovern's 'Hillsborough' that others have made are good ones, I think. That series was harrowing but brilliant and gave a voice to many who were still being ignored. I hope the real people in this programme feel similarly.

Oh man, the girl going off with him in his van at the end of the 2nd episode. :( That had the same effect on me as the chilling scene in 'Hillsborough' as the fans descend into the tunnel at Leppings Lane.

I'll watch the rest but might need to give it a bit before I do. Really powerful drama but, unsurprisingly, genuinely upsetting.
It took me about a week to watch them all (roughly have an episode per sitting), it was just too hard…

Back
Top Bottom