Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

VAR and the Premier League

I did agree with the Liverpool statement that it was wrong to label it as human error before the inquiry they're holding, though. The off-pitch ref said they'd been officiating at a match the previous day? and were knackered.

The overreaction to this has been hilarious. Pundits treating it like the end of all football as we know it, Liverpool demanding audio recordings like they're investigating a high-level conspiracy.

At the end of the day, they fucked up. It's happened before and it'll happen again, no matter how much technology you put into officiating the game.
I agree the reactions are crazy but I guess it's just more publicity and something for Neville and Co to talk about endlessly... But, offsides are about the only thing VAR was meant to always get right. So if it can't even do that why not just go back to the people on the pitch? The way you can't even celebrate a goal any more is killing it. Players make mistakes so why not officials. Just remove VAR and go back to the good old days. Jumpers for goalposts.

I did agree with the Liverpool statement that it was wrong to label it as human error before the inquiry they're holding, though. The off-pitch ref said they'd been officiating at a match the previous day? and were knackered.
In the Saudi League , Thursday night .

Just remove VAR and go back to the good old days.
I doubt that will happen. I noticed when i'm watching premier games on streams from overseas and the game stops when VAR is called for they immediately put up adverts. The cynic in me always thought that VAR would somehow be used to generate even more money and it looks like it is.

Fuck that's dire - instead of showing what the VAR conversation is.

Guardian says Liverpool off-pitch ref travelled back from officiating in the UAE they day before.

I doubt that will happen. I noticed when i'm watching premier games on streams from overseas and the game stops when VAR is called for they immediately put up adverts. The cynic in me always thought that VAR would somehow be used to generate even more money and it looks like it is.
I'm sure the money men love the drama of it all as well. Only hope would be if it really starts to 'damage the product' but agree it seems unlikely. It probably will just mean they get other companies to bid to replace VAR... More money.

I'm sure the money men love the drama of it all as well. Only hope would be if it really starts to 'damage the product' but agree it seems unlikely. It probably will just mean they get other companies to bid to replace VAR... More money.
Have noticed this season that many games having 5 plus minutes of injury time added. That's 5 more minutes of advertising pitchside. I wonder when and at what point will games be made up of four quarters so they can cram in more commercial breaks. I can seriously see that happening down the line.

The overreaction to this has been hilarious. Pundits treating it like the end of all football as we know it, Liverpool demanding audio recordings like they're investigating a high-level conspiracy.

At the end of the day, they fucked up. It's happened before and it'll happen again, no matter how much technology you put into officiating the game.

Yeah this. They've obviously made a total mess of it but at the end of the day it's just a dodgy offside call, as has happened to all teams many times.

They've released the conversation for the Liverpool decision. Regardless of the error the conversation is an absolute shambles. Sounds like a load of blokes shouting down the pub. Embarrassing.

Laughable stuff from Klopp.
Lets replay the Champions League final without a dubious VAR penalty in the first 2 minutes too, we'll replay last seasons fiasco when Jota? scores à winning goal after he should have been thrown in jail for à head high studs up tackle on Skipp.
Every team suffers shitty calls, every team profits too, hearing them lot whinging incessantly about it only makes real football fans laugh even harder.
Conspiracy against Liverpool ? Fuck the fuck off.

As a red I was a bit disappointed to see Klopp asking for a replay. It will never (and can't) happen. Someone who gets off lightly in all this is the linesman who flagged it offside. I know it is difficult for them in tight marginal decisions but there is quite a gap between the players - it isn't particularly close. Personally I would expect the officials to be of a standard to get those sort of calls right. The other issue, of course, were the other decisions made. I doubt that anyone who watched that game would have considered it a dirty game - or even a particularly hard game - yet Liverpool picked up five or six bookings and a straight red card. It does feed the feeling amongst reds that referees have an axe to grind after Klopp's criticism last season.

Agree with much of that - daft asking for a replay. There wasn't such a great distance between them for the offside and they were moving fast so it's easy for linesman to make a mistake. He flagged immediately though didn't he, when they're supposed to let it all go through?

Agree with much of that - daft asking for a replay. There wasn't such a great distance between them for the offside and they were moving fast so it's easy for linesman to make a mistake. He flagged immediately though didn't he, when they're supposed to let it all go through?
I need to check but I think he let play go on and flagged after Diaz scored.

Every club has fans who are convinced the refs are all against them don't they. I think a systematic bias against one of the PL's massive corporate cash cow teams is a bit on the unlikely side though.
Agreed, but as I said current events are feeding that feeling at LFC. Klopp was quite critical of officials last season and there is a view that this is them getting their own back.

Agreed, but as I said current events are feeding that feeling at LFC. Klopp was quite critical of officials last season and there is a view that this is them getting their own back.

OK but that's a bit 'so what' isn't it. What action should be taken to keep any particular club's conspiracy theory leaning fans happy?

but you must realise, that is a completely ludicrous idea.
I'm not sure why that must be considered ludicrous. The facts are that we have had four players sent off this season already with just a handful of games played. One has been rescinded. One we cannot challenge as it was for two yellow cards, and you can't appeal them even when there is clear evidence that the first yellow card was totally unjustified. The third, in the opinion of many neutral commentators, was extremely harsh. Yuo have to remember that officials are people too, they have exactly the same emotions as everyone else. To have your work publicly criticised by someone of the standing of Klopp (who was handed a huge fine) will have stung and it isn't a huge step to imagine that they would try to "get their own back".

Back
Top Bottom