Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

VAR and the Premier League

The fans say NO.

Other key stats from the survey include:
  • Around half of those who responded had experienced VAR in-stadium (55%)
  • Just over three quarters of fans (77%) were of the opinion that referees needed to take the time to more clearly explain VAR decisions to those in the stadium
  • A similar proportion (78%) agreed that other sports are better suited to the use of video referees/umpires than football is.
  • Two thirds of fans (63%) are not in favour of using VAR in competitions where it won’t be used in every game, such as in the FA Cup or EFL Cup in lower league grounds.
  • Only 13% of fans believe that VAR has improved the overall accuracy of refereeing decisions
  • Just 4% of fans think VAR has had a positive impact on the team they support, 78% think it’s been more negative.
Just 4% of fans think VAR has had a positive impact on the team they support, 78% think it’s been more negative.

:D

Not much VAR chat lately, everything must be ok yes?

Yeah, right. Check 'boro's equaliser against ManUre. Accidental but he controlled it with his hand, clearly, in the penalty area, and laid on a goal. Then today we have Liverpool's keeper taking out the Cardiff forward, studs down his leg, denying an open goal = yellow card.

It's almost like ref's used to make similar mistakes. So let the ref make the mistake. Because the mistake looks even worse when we've had slo-mo close-ups and still get it wrong.

Not much VAR chat lately, everything must be ok yes?

Yeah, right. Check 'boro's equaliser against ManUre. Accidental but he controlled it with his hand, clearly, in the penalty area, and laid on a goal.
That was applying the rules rather than VAR mistake wasn't it? Also it backed up ref's decision rather than changing it as I recall.

That was applying the rules rather than VAR mistake wasn't it? Also it backed up ref's decision rather than changing it as I recall.

Then the rules are wrong, and they are wrong because we're spending years twatting about trying to make VAR work. "Higher threashold for awarding penalties" It's up there about 4 posts above this one.

And why do we need something to back up a ref's mistake? Just let the ref make the mistake and we can go back to slagging off the ref in the pub afterwards. VAR compounding a mistake just looks stupid.

VAR shows up any errors and wrong rules and makes them much more visible though, which you'd hope would lead to rule improvements.

Not sure that the rules are wrong because of VAR. Was thinking earlier about rule changes that have led to improvements (also not really because of VAR). The advantage rule - used to be anally retentive that as soon as there was a foul the ref would blow. Much much better now that they wait to see whether there's any advantage. The drop ball is better, too, now - it rarely seems to be competed 50/50 but given to the side which had the ball when the whistle was blown. And passing back to the goalkeeper means they can't pick it up is better too.

Surely the ideal is to get VAR accurate and instantaneous to make it as fair as possible. I doubt anyone would be against the VAR-type decisions on whether a ball has crossed the line for goal/no-goal decisions. Offsides are more accurate now because of VAR, although they need to make it favour the attackers slightly more with hairline decisions.

I'll tell you what confuses me - how defenders (particularly) are allowed to put their arms round attackers and pull them back in the penalty box at corners. If I were ref (I did try once though when I was a lad and was crap) I'd warn them first then give a penalty if they did it again.

Headline: "Is VAR letting Premier League down?"
Quotes:

"In England, I have to be honest, it is very difficult because there isn't the same line," said Conte.

"They have to work a lot about this," said the Italian while discussing the standard of refereeing in England.

"In Italy, they go on Thursday and stay together for three days to work together, to look at the video and try and improve.

"I don't know if they do that in this country, but it would be a good idea because the level is so high and we need the level of the referee and VAR the same.

Sounds as though it's more like the Premier League letting VAR down.

Trouble is it's too often used as an off-field ref, whereas it should JUST be there for when a referee is unsure about something. Lad sent off at Fulham yesterday was given a yellow. Refs should be allowed to stick to their decisions. And having to wait to celebrate goals is utter wank.

Refs should be allowed to stick to their decisions.
Why, though?

They see something once, in real time, while possibly trying to focus on other things, from one angle and at a distance.

Is it not better they get a chance to make an informed decision?

And having to wait to celebrate goals is utter wank.
Aye, have a mate whose main objection is this, and for me it's just one of those where my priorities are different. Getting more decisions correct, and thus the right teams winning and losing, for me is worth sacrificing a handful of moments.

Trouble is it's too often used as an off-field ref, whereas it should JUST be there for when a referee is unsure about something. Lad sent off at Fulham yesterday was given a yellow. Refs should be allowed to stick to their decisions. And having to wait to celebrate goals is utter wank.
was that the one where he came in at high speed and nearly took someone's ankle off?

I quite like the rugby system (as it appears to me based on limited viewing). Ref just asks the person upstairs "alright mate, got some doubts, any reason I shouldn't award that try?" or "that looked a bit dodgy, can you give me another couple of looks so I can see what happened and act accordingly?".

And sometimes the ref'll be told "hey, something we think you missed and should maybe have a look at" which, again, fair enough, I think!

The thing I hate about the celebrating is when someone dribbles past four players and puts a perfect pass to a goalhanger who just has to fall over it to score and the scorer then runs arms wide open to his adoring fans in the crowd totally ignoring the one who set him up. :mad: worse than hitler etc.

The thing I hate about the celebrating is when someone dribbles past four players and puts a perfect pass to a goalhanger who just has to fall over it to score and the scorer then runs arms wide open to his adoring fans in the crowd totally ignoring the one who set him up. :mad: worse than hitler etc.
Totally. And then the player who has done the hard work has to run after the twat for extra humiliation

Two massive mistakes in a weekend. If Arsenal lose the league by 1 point I imagine they might be pissed off.

Burn it down.

I'd burn down both VAR and the Premier league but that's just me pining for the lost soul of football. :thumbs:

There was a VAR fuckup of sorts in the Leicester Spurs game too, which went relatively unnoticed because it didn't affect the result.

Harvey Barnes scored a 4th which was disallowed for offside. For a start, the freeze-frame shown was at least one frame too early, the ball wasn't close to leaving the passer's foot. To the naked eye on the chosen freeze frame it then looked clearly onside, but the lines were drawn from some mystery points seemingly at random; offside.

2 weird inconsistencies conspiring to come to what was possibly the correct decision considering the early freeze frame (who knows?) if you're willing and able to measure to the millimetre. But (even though it went for Spurs so I'm always happy to see goals chalked off) there's a wider point - no-one on the pitch thought it was offside, no-one claimed for offside, and after 3 minutes of cack-handed video analysis no-one could say it was definitively proven to be offside. So why are we ruling goals out for that?

Not for the first time, the BBC live text today is about VAR. The question remains - how can rugby get it right where football can't?

The simple solution - mike up the ref and the VAR official, let the stadium and the TV audience hear the discussion.

"I saw the contact initiated by the defender, so the on-field decision is penalty. Is there any reason to overturn this?"

"Yes, we've watched it back and Jack Grealish has reached out with his back leg yet again, the floppy haired twat."

"Ta"

If we know the thought process, there's accountability. For those in the stadium, the current system is just awful.

Not for the first time, the BBC live text today is about VAR. The question remains - how can rugby get it right where football can't?

The simple solution - mike up the ref and the VAR official, let the stadium and the TV audience hear the discussion.

"I saw the contact initiated by the defender, so the on-field decision is penalty. Is there any reason to overturn this?"

"Yes, we've watched it back and Jack Grealish has reached out with his back leg yet again, the floppy haired twat."

"Ta"

If we know the thought process, there's accountability. For those in the stadium, the current system is just awful.

And show it on a big screen so we can all see what they are looking at

I think we've all given up, resigned to this crap.

Apparently for the Liverpool goal they said "Check complete" b ut didn't mean "Check complete".

State of it.

I think we've all given up, resigned to this crap.

Apparently for the Liverpool goal they said "Check complete" b ut didn't mean "Check complete".

State of it.
It's worse than that. Diaz ran through, scored, then (as per proper procedure) the linesman put his flag up because he thought it was offside.

The VAR team viewed one replay, saw it was clearly onside with no need to draw the lines. But, they hadn't spotted the flag go up; they thought the on field decision was goal, so said stick with your decision and "check complete".

It's such basic lack of communication. Whatever else comes of this incident, it has to be the rugby style conversation between on and off pitch refereeing teams; miked up and broadcast to the stadium and TV alike.

The overreaction to this has been hilarious. Pundits treating it like the end of all football as we know it, Liverpool demanding audio recordings like they're investigating a high-level conspiracy.

At the end of the day, they fucked up. It's happened before and it'll happen again, no matter how much technology you put into officiating the game.

Back
Top Bottom