Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2012

I saw a thing on Daily Kos about how Obama can still win with the electoral college votes. That looks to me like people clutching at straws because they know their man is going down.

I tell myself that, considering the fucked up American political landscape, it's really not that surprising that Romney manages to still do well in the polls. But then, I realise that I am actually surprised. There's a level of idiocy that you kind of think can't realistically be reached. But, I guess, one person's idiocy is another person's level-headed political leanings.

What debate? There is absolutely no difference between Romney and Obama on foreign policy. None. On every single substantive issue they are identical.

What debate? There is absolutely no difference between Romney and Obama on foreign policy. None.

While still seeking election there can be very little difference in what the two candidates say. As soon as elected their actions will be very different. For one thing, Obama will continue to try to keep the Israel dog on its leash while Romney will be quite happy to facilitate its release.

It would be political suicide for any candidate to come out and say support for Israel should be dialled back.

While still seeking election there can be very little difference in what the two candidates say. As soon as elected their actions will be very different. For one thing, Obama will continue to try to keep the Israel dog on its leash while Romney will be quite happy to facilitate its release.
Whoever wins, their approach to Israel and Iran will be governed by existing strategic foreign policy. Romney will behave exactly like Obama on Israel just as Obama behaved exactly like Bush and Bush behaved exactly like Clinton and Clinton behaved exactly like Bush snr and Bush snr behaved exactly like Reagan etc etc. US strategic policy towards Israel hasn't changed in 50 years and it isn't going to change no matter who wins in November. Support Camp David. Ignore the occupation. Ignore settlements. Ignore human rights abuses against Palestinians. Ignore Israel's aggression towards its neighbours. Perpetuate the myth of 2 states and meaningless negotiations allow the slow colonisation of occupied land.
As I said, there is NO difference in foreign policy between them. None. Zero, nada

Whoever wins, their approach to Israel and Iran will be governed by existing strategic foreign policy. Romney will behave exactly like Obama on Israel just as Obama behaved exactly like Bush and Bush behaved exactly like Clinton and Clinton behaved exactly like Bush snr and Bush snr behaved exactly like Reagan etc etc. US strategic policy towards Israel hasn't changed in 50 years and it isn't going to change no matter who wins in November. As I said, there is NO difference in foreign policy between them. None. Zero, nada

The differences are there to see if you want to see them. But I see that your mind is closed on the matter.

It depends on your perspective on the outside looking in. If you're no fan of Israel and its practices, then whatever either of them do is going to look like the same old cosying up, as it always has time immemorial. As for the nuanced stuff, Romney's seemingly got close links over there, and it's probably not a stretch to say he might favour loosening the reigns a bit. In reality, little would change, the Palestinians would still be shat upon from a great height, no substantive change would be made to foreign policy re Israel and the settlements, etc. But when it comes to specifics, and the general attitude of the administration, it seems Romney would be more of a gentle hand.

No, it's the other way around. While running they can have rhetorical differences. When in power they will be kept into line by existing US strategy and interests. As for the Republicans' relationship with Israel, I think it's quite possible that in the future we'll see a Republican taking a hard line against Israel, when it's in the US interests, in a way that a Democratic president would not dare to do.

No, it's the other way around. While running they can have rhetorical differences. When in power they will be kept into line by existing US strategy and interests. As for the Republicans' relationship with Israel, I think it's quite possible that in the future we'll see a Republican taking a hard line against Israel, when it's in the US interests, in a way that a Democratic president would not dare to do.

Your argument has not persuaded me. Not every president has simply followed the existing strategy and interest.

If there is no differences on foreign politics, then it doesn't matter who will win. Because America foreign politics is leading whole world in one big shitstorm after which some inner-state politic minor changes won't matter much. Europe is following.

If there is no differences on foreign politics, then it doesn't matter who will win. Because America foreign politics is leading whole world in one big shitstorm after which some inner-state politic minor changes won't matter much. Europe is following.

Perhaps you'd like to rephrase that to make it legible.

"Traditional" foreign policy (where they are both pretty similar) is not the whole of policy that affects the rest of the world - economic decisions in the "domestic" sphere will affect other countries. Plus, it's Americans voting here, who do sort of care about domestic policy.

As far as foreign policy is concerned it doesn't matter

It matters a little bit. Romney's policy on Iran will be similar to Bush and Iraq -- he'll be doing everything he can to drum up an excuse to invade. Romney is funded by a very pro-Israel billionaire who's main aim is to invade Iran. I can't imagine Romney will balk that, especially with the same advisors as GWB on his staff. It's not like he has an independant thought of his own.

It matters a little bit. Romney's policy on Iran will be similar to Bush and Iraq -- he'll doing everything he can to drum up an excuse to invade. Romney is funded by a very pro-Israel billionaire who's main aim is to invade Iran. I can't imagine Romney will balk that, especially with the same advisors as GWB on his staff.
He'd not get away with that, even if he was nuts enough to want to. He might be more lenient towards the Israelis nibbling around the edges though, ratcheting up the terrorist attacks they're already doing.

It matters a little bit. Romney's policy on Iran will be similar to Bush and Iraq -- he'll doing everything he can to drum up an excuse to invade. Romney is funded by a very pro-Israel billionaire who's main aim is to invade Iran. I can't imagine Romney will balk that, especially with the same advisors as GWB on his staff. It's not like he has an independant thought of his own.
I have to admit that the idea of a Romney presidency worries me largely for this reason. I have visions of him launching yet another ill-fated war justified with claims of 'freederm an dermocracy', and this time with Israel finally getting the chance to spunk their load all over their neighbours.

He'd not get away with that, even if he was nuts enough to want to. He might be more lenient towards the Israelis nibbling around the edges though, ratcheting up the terrorist attacks they're already doing.

All it would take to justify it would to blame one "terrorist attack" on Iran.

It's gonna come down to vote rigging Florida again isn't it, in which case bye bye barack.

So the nightmare of a President Romney looks like becoming a living one. Is there expert on polls and predictions that can dampen my fears?

So the nightmare of a President Romney looks like becoming a living one. Is there expert on polls and predictions that can dampen my fears?
Yes, from what little I know it does seem like he could win it.
And immediately promote Russia to enemy no1 status - lol

Yes, from what little I know it does seem like he could win it.
How? Just, HOW, America?

I mean, I know Cameron's a slimy duplicitous self-serving elitist cuntstand, but electing Romney would make him look an entirely sane choice in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom