Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

US election 2012

Well I was watching it until just now when Tv Catchup stopped working. I quite enjoyed the detailed debate about spending and tand taxing. Better thsn the woolly debates here where specifics are avoided.

The annoying thing about these debates is how many sacred cows there are, cows that the candidates dare not directly criticize for fear of scaring off the scum that fund a large part of these campaigns.

Take the whole Medicare system for instance, which is both almost unimaginably corrupt (at least $60 billion lost to Medicare fraud per year according to the US DOJ, which is not surprising given that only 5% of claims are actually audited) and incredibly inefficient (it covers 10 million people less than the NHS does, pays only half of the cost of treatment, and yet costs more than twice as much as the entire NHS does to run), and which seemingly exists only to throw hundreds of billions of dollars of taxpayers money a year to the medical and medical insurance industries.

Any politician that is even slightly honest should be looking to get rid of it, and yet Obama and Romney only seek to tinker at the edges - and thats without dealing with a private healthcare /insurance system which costs the population of the US a couple of trillion dollars per year, doesnt cover everyone, which is almost a byword for morally repugnant behaviour by corporations, and which delivers a life expectancy below that of nearly all of the rest of the developed world.

Funny you mention 'specifics'. Obama just brought up the point that Romney has been keeping details quiet on just about everything every time he's been asked by the media over the months. Romney's answer was something like "well, one way might be to ... pick a number, let's say X, or Y, maybe we could do it that way, or, perhaps we could do it this way, it doesn't matter, I'm flexible, and want to work with everyone if I win to make sure this works."

Er, okay.

It's hardly going to matter. Most viewers will have turned off after just a few minutes.

From what I understand, the debates have little effect on anything anyway. But regardless, it's the cable news dissection afterwards that will be how the majority of people experience the debates, and they'll call it for Romney (or already are doing). It's an observation, not a declaration of "omg Romney's gonna win!!!!!!"

Romney beat the shit out of Obama unfortunately. He was on the attack & Obama stood there & smiled like a little kid like he didn't know what to say. He was nice & polite & let Romney get away with distortions. Obama didn't fight back. He better grow some balls for the next two. He didn't even bring up Romney's taped 47% comment. Unbelieveable to have ammo like that & not use it.

Romney beat the shit out of Obama unfortunately. He was on the attack & Obama stood there & smiled like a little kid like he didn't know what to say. He was nice & polite & let Romney get away with distortions. Obama didn't fight back. He better grow some balls for the next two. He didn't even bring up Romney's taped 47% comment. Unbelieveable to have ammo like that & not use it.

Is it possible that a major National Security scare/action is about to take place, neatly showing Obama to have been concerned about Presidential matters and debasing the debate to a mere distraction?

As for the ammo, could he be saving that for later debates? Winning the last debate has to be preferable to winning the first.

Is it possible that a major National Security scare/action is about to take place, neatly showing Obama to have been concerned about Presidential matters and debasing the debate to a mere distraction?

As for the ammo, could he be saving that for later debates? Winning the last debate has to be preferable to winning the first.
I'd like to think so but I don't. I don't see Obama pulling any October surprise. And I'm not sure but I think the 1st debate gets the biggest audience. It's the 1st time the two are seen side by side. This debate was about domestic policy.....the economy/jobs. The next one will be foreign policy & most voters in the US don't really give ashit about that when the economy is in trouble.

BBC R4 are saying that Romney came across best of the two of them in last nights debate. It was too late for me, I wonder if I can watch it back somewhere.

eta: I see I can see highlights on BBC News

Does it matter? The USA is so divided nowadays that I doubt that swing voters could make a real difference to the result. The election will go to who ever can bring out enough of his core support.

The debates don't matter unless somebody really cocks up in them.

The media were always going to call the first debate for Romney anyway, to try to maintain a dramatic narrative. They've been going on about Obama pulling ahead of Romney in polls and how Romney needs to step it up. Oh look he's stepped it up now, Obama needs to do something etc. I heard it explicitly stated on CNN at one point.

Did Romney do well or just exceed everyone's low expectations? (Not that the two are necessarily different)

Pretty sure several people wouldn't have expected him to find the podium, let alone argue a point.

Does it matter? The USA is so divided nowadays that I doubt that swing voters could make a real difference to the result. The election will go to who ever can bring out enough of his core support.

The USA has always been massively divided which makes the very existance of the two party system there such a strange affair & is a reason why swing voters can be so significant in their elections.

Did Romney do well or just exceed everyone's low expectations? (Not that the two are necessarily different)

Pretty sure several people wouldn't have expected him to find the podium, let alone argue a point.

Forgetting political sides & dealing just with performances Id say Romney won with an average and forgetable performance.

Chris Hedges tells it like it is. Whoever wins, you will be asked to pick your poison

It's how you want to ingest your poison. You can get it from Romney, who will tell you to stop whining and playing the victim, or you can get it from Obama, who will tell you that it hurts him more than it hurts you. But either way you're going to get it.

We are all going to walk off what they call the fiscal cliff in January, no matter who is president. Wall Street will continue its malfeasance and criminal activity and fraud unimpeded. The imperial wars and proxy wars will expand. There's—the paralysis that has made the ruling elite unable to respond to the chronic underemployment and unemployment will continue. The savaging of municipal, state, and federal budgets will continue. The power of the fossil fuel industry to determine our relationship to the ecosystem, you know, in essence ultimately making life for the human species extremely precarious, will continue.

In non-debate news, Todd Akin has resurfaced.

doleman.gif

The debates don't matter unless somebody really cocks up in them.

I suppose the classic modern example was that first Bush debate against Kerry, where Bush somehow managed to come across as being even more stupid than usual, to the extent that people speculated that he was being fed answers by a wire or was on some kind of drug, or had suffered some kind of brain injury.

And it still didnt make any difference in the end, although thats perhaps in part down to recovering somewhat in the latter debates.

One likely parallel between that and this years debates is that the pressure is now on for Obama to perform at the next one, there will be an expectation that he will be a different Obama next time, and if he fails again then he'll have the weight of media pulling unhelpfully against him. I still dont want to overstate how much of a difference this makes, obviously there are a range of other factors and plenty of reasons for people not to vote Romney.

Chris Hedges tells it like it is. Whoever wins, you will be asked to pick your poison

If I were a conspiraloon, I'd think that guys like Hedges were hired by the neocons to demoralize the opposition. I can't see how anyone can look back at the Bush V Gore election & say it doesn't matter much who wins. If Gore had won (well, he did really) I doubt the Iraq invasion would have happened. It matters very much who wins.

Is this the thread where you can call the election for posterity when you're right?

Well, anyway, Obama's going to win. The whole Tea party/ Palin association has meant Romney has no chance. Thank goodness. I hope I'm right.

I suppose the classic modern example was that first Bush debate against Kerry, where Bush somehow managed to come across as being even more stupid than usual, to the extent that people speculated that he was being fed answers by a wire or was on some kind of drug, or had suffered some kind of brain injury.

And it still didnt make any difference in the end, although thats perhaps in part down to recovering somewhat in the latter debates.
I've just come back from the US, and they've been playing some of the classic moments seen as having ruined a candidate - Bush Snr looking at his watch during audience questions, for instance. (They also include Romney offering Rick Perry a $10,000 bet during a debate in the selection campaign, though that didn't hurt him at the time - it's the sort of thing that could be brought up now though.) All they seem to want to look at, though, is "soundbite" errors, things which are easily pointed to as specific reasons after a candidate fails. If they succeed, their gaffes won't be mentioned. I'm not convinced that this stuff is anywhere near as important as the press would have us believe.

US news TV at the moment is incredibly, incredibly dull btw, as one might imagine.

I've just come back from the US, and they've been playing some of the classic moments seen as having ruined a candidate - Bush Snr looking at his watch during audience questions, for instance. (They also include Romney offering Rick Perry a $10,000 bet during a debate in the selection campaign, though that didn't hurt him at the time - it's the sort of thing that could be brought up now though.) All they seem to want to look at, though, is "soundbite" errors, things which are easily pointed to as specific reasons after a candidate fails. If they succeed, their gaffes won't be mentioned. I'm not convinced that this stuff is anywhere near as important as the press would have us believe.

US news TV at the moment is incredibly, incredibly dull btw, as one might imagine.

As I recall, Bush Snr. lost to Bill Clinton not because of the debate but because; 1 / the US economy was in bad shape in 1992, and he had no clear plan for fixing it, and probably more importantly 2 / Ross Perot got 19% of the total, mostly from conservative voters and thus splitting the Republican vote.

As I recall, Bush Snr. lost to Bill Clinton not because of the debate but because; 1 / the US economy was in bad shape in 1992, and he had no clear plan for fixing it, and probably more importantly 2 / Ross Perot got 19% of the total, mostly from conservative voters and thus splitting the Republican vote.
Well quite. Candidates might come out of debates looking bad due to a gaffe, and it might harm their image slightly, but there is a lot more to winning an election than that.

Also, it's worth remembering that early voting has already started in the US anyway, and a lot of people are taking it up this year it seems (though again the media may be exaggerating this).

If I were a conspiraloon, I'd think that guys like Hedges were hired by the neocons to demoralize the opposition. I can't see how anyone can look back at the Bush V Gore election & say it doesn't matter much who wins. If Gore had won (well, he did really) I doubt the Iraq invasion would have happened. It matters very much who wins.
"There's nothing wrong with picking the lesser of two evils - you end up with less evil"

The issue is when people pick a side and actually believe that they will solve problems and address issues that they clearly won't. It's rational to vote Democrat because you want to try to preserve access to birth control or some level of Medicare/aid. Assuming that that's also going to result in fair pay and social justice etc isn't.

We can all second guess history but your claim that a Gore President wouldn't have gone into Iraq is questionable. Here in the UK, remember, it was a Labour government that eagerly joined the rush to war.

To be honest. If I was in the US i would probably hold my nose and vote Obama but only because the alternative is just too horrific to contemplate but lets not kid ourselves that there is much in it or that the last 4 years have been anything but another bonanza for Corporate America and Empire and one paid for by working people. Or that the next 4 is going to be much different even with Obama in the White House.

I do believe this however. If there is to be a real opposition to the corporate criminals who really run the US then that opposition will have to be built on the streets and workplaces far away from the pantomime of who sits in the White House.

Hedges again

You get the point. Obama is not in charge. Romney would not be in charge. Politicians are the public face of corporate power. They are corporate employees. Their personal narratives, their promises, their rhetoric and their idiosyncrasies are meaningless. And that, perhaps, is why the cost of the two presidential campaigns is estimated to reach an obscene $2.5 billion. The corporate state does not produce a product that is different. It produces brands that are different. And brands cost a lot of money to sell.

You can dismiss those of us who will in protest vote for a third-party candidate and invest our time and energy in acts of civil disobedience. You can pride yourself on being practical. You can swallow the false argument of the lesser of two evils. But ask yourself, once this nightmare starts kicking in, who the real sucker is.

I do believe this however. If there is to be a real opposition to the corporate criminals who really run the US then that opposition will have to be built on the streets and workplaces far away from the pantomime of who sits in the White House.

Apathy towards voting - "what does it matter, it won't change anything, they're all the same" - is a completely understandable feeling, because as you say, the big stuff beyond the culture wars - like corporatism and corruption and poverty and the rest of it that goes along with the embracing of an all-encompassing capitalism - doesn't change to any significant degree because both parties have the same interests as each other in that regard. But, while "they're all the same" is a recognition, on some kind of level, of that, that's where it stops, and people sit around and wait for the mythical candidate who will do something to change it.

Occupy might not be a remarkably effective tool or movement as it stands, but I think it's interesting in how it's encouraging people to blame capital itself (well, to greater or lesser degrees - for some it's just a few bad people in a few important jobs on Wall Street; for others it's the way the system is run in its entirety; and then there's everyone falling somewhere on the spectrum in between), rather than just blaming the guy who's in the White House or a particular party. I'm not entirely sure anything will come of it as a movement in its own right, but I can't help thinking it's better it exists than it doesn't, because it's encouraging a bit more critical thinking, greater engagement, and might actually radicalise a few people along the way.

Back
Top Bottom