Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1983

Knotted

Bet the horse knew his name
Well it turns out there were no mermaids called Jimi but lots of electro. Something something New Order something. Daniel Johnston ftw and Fall Mafiah get ready to mobilise! Fly my pretties!

RYM says, Rolling Stone says (Final Cut ffs!), NME says

Send me a list. With the format Artist - Album (or if necessary Performer [Composer] - Album). Any length of list is fine. Best at the top. No compilations, no EP's. Live albums are fine. Archival albums are also fine but it's release date not recording date that counts. You have the rest of August to get it together.

I'm a bit stuck this year and looking forward to someone finding something good. But for the minute, ooh look Brazilian prog rock classic Depois do fim by Bacamarte. Sort of imagine Baden Powell (the guitarist not the scouting guy) heading a lush symphonic rock band.

1691165425062.png

And South Africa

Actually, ZA is probably classed as Anglophone. Maybe? :hmm:

This is defo Anglo, and had a pretty big impact.

There are 584 samples and 12 covers of UFO alone listed on whosampled.com - I prefer Moody, if I had a pick a favourite track.

And South Africa

And Nigeria

A week today, I hope to be dancing to this being performed live in a field, health-permitting. Hoping for some sun or it will feel wrong....

Valle dropping the perfect soundtrack to chill by the pool/beach/garden barbecue/wherever

U2's War - don't laugh - may have been their best album, and it's certainly one I remember from that year. Pink Floyd's Final Cut is also 1983 (though it's basically Roger Waters flying solo). Then there's Billy Bragg's Life's a Riot album (I saw him in Belfast years ago, and the banter between the songs was better than the songs themselves),

Another big Anglo album*. Though, it's not all great. But the highlights are top class. Pre-Detroit techno Juan making another tune that doesn't quite rival ESG for samples, but feels as important as some of the tunes that did sample were so big (Afrika Bambaataa, Missy Elliott)

Blueprint for future greatness, rather than a great album, IMO.

*Starting to think your premise is wrong, Knotted :D

Another big Anglo album*. Though, it's not all great. But the highlights are top class. Pre-Detroit techno Juan making another tune that doesn't quite rival ESG for samples, but feels as important as some of the tunes that did sample were so big (Afrika Bambaataa, Missy Elliott)

Blueprint for future greatness, rather than a great album, IMO.

*Starting to think your premise is wrong, Knotted :D

Need another ten albums from you to be proved wrong. Keep 'em coming.

Keeping on the whosampled theme, this has a massive 128 tunes sampling Juicy Fruit and its variations. No doubt there are many more not listed.

The album is tight and dripping with funk. It's got the lot. Vocoders, ridiculous synth bass workouts, classic drum machine action. Great stuff.

There aren't many Italo albums worth listening to - mostly cheesey filler around one or two (also cheesey) dancefloor bangers. But I think this is a rare exception. Can't imagine it'll do well in the U75 poll, though :D

March 2020. That week when it became apparent that the pandemic was upon us, that a lockdown needed to happen and no-one was certain what lay ahead. Tension. Anxiety. My usual soundtrack wasn't cutting it. I think a lot of people were in a similar position. A lot of folk seemed to dive into soothing ambient sounds to sooth their worried minds, but all that gentle shit just grated on my nerves.

Then out of nowhere the perfect background music to those troubling times came to me: ZZ Top's Eliminator.

I'd never even thought to listen to it since it's release in 1983, but for that week their daft new-wave boogie-synth dance-metal jams were about all my brain could tolerate.

ZZ Top - I salute you

Bit of a metal year
MTctNTcyMC5qcGVn.jpeg

Keeping on the whosampled theme, this has a massive 128 tunes sampling Juicy Fruit and its variations. No doubt there are many more not listed.

The album is tight and dripping with funk. It's got the lot. Vocoders, ridiculous synth bass workouts, classic drum machine action. Great stuff.

This is great but the way they keep singing "jucé" has tickled me. Crumbs.

This is rather lovely, a review on RYM describes it as sounding like a cross between Brian Eno & Vashti Bunyan.
Virginia Astley - From Gardens Where We Feel Secure

I’m going to indulge in these threads now given DSOTM didn’t win. A nice way to listen to new stuff. So far, without listening to anything else I’d vote The Fall and Kill ‘Em All.

No Hex Enduction Hour though, is it?

I don't know. First side is better than Hex, second side is worse than Hex IMO.

I think I would list my ten favourite Fall albums in this order:

Dragnet
Slates
Perverted By Language
Room to Live
Hex Enduction Hour
Live at the Witch Trials
Bend Sinister
Totale's Turns
Grotesque: After the Gramme
This Nation's Saving Grace

Last edited:
I bet some pedantic spoilsports will try to claim that this is "not an album" and "very clearly an EP, as stated on the cover", but it's 12 or 13 minutes of hateful gold, probably their finest moment imo:
1691169371527.png

Wild Style OST - First truly great hip hop album and it is a hip hop album not just a rap album. Soundtrack to the film that had come out the year before. Chris Stein from Blondie & Fab 5 Freddy along with performances from the film. The iconic cover graffiti by Zephyr, Revolt and Sharp.

R-1093517-1220861332.jpg

Back
Top Bottom