Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban75 Album of the Year 1964

Knotted

Bet the horse knew his name
So here we are again. I'm going to skip 1954 because 1953 crashed and burned even though 1954 looks good to me.

And 1964? The times are a changing indeed, well that's what NME are saying. And blimey! I like the spirit of what Rolling Stone are saying.

It's going to be a hard day's night adding up these scores! (I really am shit at this word play thing.)

Anyway I agree with RYM, it's really hard looking past Getz/Gilberto and Dolphy.

We can take this at leisurely pace. You have the rest of the month to get a list together.

Send me a list of any length. Best at the top with the format Artist - Album (and if you are going classical Performer [Composer] - Album). No numbers, no colons, no brackets unless they are part of the artist/album name.

No compilations, no EP's.

I had been checking out '54 last night, there's some great stuff and I'd probably have wrangled a top 10. Although there were quite a few things called something like The Divine Sarah where I was trying to work out if it was the album I thought it was or just one that used a familiar name.

Anyway, A Night at Birdland should narrowly have beaten Songs for Young Lovers.

quick glance no albums i really love that I know , but just saw this is 1964
All Time Favourite Record - play it loud - Killer Jimmy Smith organ with amazing punching hard big band arrangements (arranged by Lalo Schifrin)...loads of quiet then loud smacks around the head - have played this countless times
no cocktail organ tunes here - pure fire

as its says on the liner notes - the cat, equally at home in the alley and the penthouse!!! :D love that

people might recognise Carpetbaggers - the theme from the Money Programme in the 80s

MS5qcGVn.jpeg

Heres 3 JA albums

Prince Buster is king in these days

I think this is the first ever Studio One LP

Another one to check

ETA This is intriguing (ETA 2 bit crap but some fun ska instrumentals in amongst it)
"RJR is the acronym for Real Jamaican Radio, a radio station located in Kingston. Its programming include national and international music, news, talk shows and much more. Some of its most notable presenters are King Majesty, Irvin Jarrett and Markland Edwards."

Last edited:
Heres 3 JA albums

Prince Buster is king in these days

I think this is the first ever Studio One LP

Another one to check

ETA This is intriguing (ETA 2 bit crap but some fun ska instrumentals in amongst it)
"RJR is the acronym for Real Jamaican Radio, a radio station located in Kingston. Its programming include national and international music, news, talk shows and much more. Some of its most notable presenters are King Majesty, Irvin Jarrett and Markland Edwards."

When I was in the first year of secondary school there was a black American kid from the base who I was friendly with who liked ska who insisted on calling it bluebeat.

Is Miles & Monk at Newport a compilation?

Side 1 is Davis from 1958, the only (then) legitimate live recording of the Kind of Blue band. It's pretty darned groovy.

Side 2 is Thelonious from 1963 and is perfectly decent. They never actually play together altho Miles does do a Monk tune.

I'm not sure if it would make a top 10 or 20 for me anyway, but I can't help but wonder...

Hmmm, wikipedia reckons 1964 was the start of "the album era". It looks like 1963 and 65 might've been better years for Motown albums but then I think of Motown as very much a singles thing anyway, and I suspect that the line between compilation and album was a bit shaky back then... oh wait, Presenting the Fabulous Ronettes Featuring Veronica was 1964, that's obviously the album of the year.
Also showing off my knowledge of super-obscure underground artists, looks like Supremes did Where Did Our Love Go, the Four Seasons had three albums with Born to Wander – Tender and Soulful Ballads (Folk-Flavored), Dawn (Go Away) and 11 Other Great Songs, and Rag Doll, and the Beach Boys were similarly busy with Shut Down Volume 2, All Summer Long, and The Beach Boys' Christmas Album. Looks like the Beach Boys will be getting ska's vote at least:
1717698227179.jpeg

Dusty Springfield's first album. But what it is depends on whether you were in the UK or the US.

In April 64 A Girl Called Dusty was released in the UK. The UK label felt that it shouldn't include the singles I Only Want to Be With You and Stay Awhile. The US label disagreed and in June '64 released Stay Awhile - I Only Want To Be With You, with a different tracklist including the singles. Wise choice as they're both fantastic.

Both albums are great, as Dusty Springfield is the best artist to come from the British Invasion of '64, but the US album is better. I grew up listening to Dusty as my mum loves her and the soundtrack to your childhood stays with you.

Back
Top Bottom