Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Urban Clubbing Club

oooh, was already planning on going to Wire the night before but this is more tempting....
is the sound any good there? have been there to drink and it's a big room so probs quite boomy
It's not great, tbh. I think this matters less when it's disco etc, but obviously I wish it was better.

It's probably upstairs btw, not the main bar, I'm guessing. They normally have bands on rather than DJs, but I have seen the odd DJ there too.

It's not great, tbh. I think this matters less when it's disco etc, but obviously I wish it was better.

It's probably upstairs btw, not the main bar, I'm guessing. They normally have bands on rather than DJs, but I have seen the odd DJ there too.
I think it matters MORE with disco actually - more instruments, more details! I remember hearing disco on the Plastic People system and it was such a revelation

I think it matters MORE with disco actually - more instruments, more details! I remember hearing disco on the Plastic People system and it was such a revelation
Seems I was wrong. Rahaan IS on in the main/downstairs room. Not much space for dancing there, so probably a sit and enjoy kinda gig.

He's on at 5, so can easily do this and Wire if you fancy being out all day :cool:

I'm heading down now to support Jak (who I think you met) he's doing the warm up.

See you at the front if you're out :thumbs:

Seems I was wrong. Rahaan IS on in the main/downstairs room. Not much space for dancing there, so probably a sit and enjoy kinda gig.

He's on at 5, so can easily do this and Wire if you fancy being out all day :cool:

I'm heading down now to support Jak (who I think you met) he's doing the warm up.

See you at the front if you're out :thumbs:
Holy shit, that was something special.

Rahaan was pissed off with the Belgrave gig. Complaining about tables, eating etc., when he thought he was doing a dancefloor set. Fair enough.

Had a good chat with him and was winding him up about it, all good natured.

then my mate Jak invited him to Saltaire to another night we were going to after. He seemed interested. We said he should bring some tunes and called ahead and asked the promoters if he could spin a bit.

Promoter is a massive Rahaan fan so of course said yes. He came and played 3 hours of unbelievable music to a 'crowd' of about 40 people in a pub basement in Shipley. And he fucking smashed it.

One of those nights that doesn't happen very often. I've been overdue a good night out, but this was something else.

Buzzing :cool:

Rahaan was pissed off with the Belgrave gig. Complaining about tables, eating etc., when he thought he was doing a dancefloor set. Fair enough.

then my mate Jak invited him to Saltaire to another night we were going to after. He seemed interested. We said he should bring some tunes and called ahead and asked the promoters if he could spin a bit.

Promoter is a massive Rahaan fan so of course said yes. He came and played 3 hours of unbelievable music to a 'crowd' of about 40 people in a pub basement in Shipley. And he fucking smashed it.

One of those nights that doesn't happen very often. I've been overdue a good night out, but this was something else.

Seems an opportune moment to post this, the oerfect antidote to the Instagram age of pointy finger djs and punters with phone out

Pure sleazy underground basement vibes
😎

Beat that shit Rahaan

Love that, hope it was a good night for him too. I guess it's a different buzz to get a dancefloor of strangers grooving Vs a bunch of people who specifically came to hear you play.

He's playing in Peckham next weekend at The Carpet Shop :hmm:

Love that, hope it was a good night for him too. I guess it's a different buzz to get a dancefloor of strangers grooving Vs a bunch of people who specifically came to hear you play.

Orang Utan , is this something I would like? I missed my Osunlade house outing but wondering if it'll be too disco for me, I've never heard him (I know there are mixes up but quicker to ask OU).

Yep, he mentioned that. Also playing at BBE records. Might be today that, not sure.

Had a drink with him yesterday in Headrow House. He's a nice fella. Said he enjoyed the night before, so that's good.

1714996001340.png

OK last night was a bit disappointing.

Irfan Rainy was on first, playing some nice enough tunes. The soundsystem was amazing. Not technically. The bass was so loud and deep it was making the floor move. I could feel the music. It felt like the floor was made of rubber or something, it was moving so much.

All good, then Ron Comes on. Sell out crowd, everyone's buzzing. Plays his first couple of tunes and it's ever so deep. Obviously.

It's a little quieter than Irfan's last tune, but that's OK. He needs some headroom for later.

Then it just keeps getting quieter. The bass is now pretty mild. There's no movement in the floor. There's barely any bass at all, tbh.

And then he stopped the music and got on the mic.

"Sorry guys, I don't like this. I can't get down to this. You deserve better. There have been noise complaints. We can't turn it up. This is it, and I can't do this. I can't play my shit like I want. I'll play another couple of tracks for you, but then I'm off. Fuck this."

He played for way longer than I expected after he said that, but it was shit. It was all tinny and thin. People were just talking to each other rather than dancing.

Then Ron leaves the booth and walks over to the left of the stage, grabs his huge monitor speaker (it was only then that I realised how big it was, wtf :D ) and turns it to face the dancefloor.

The difference was stark. It sounded like everything went high definition. It still wasn't that loud, but it was enough, and everyone went nuts. He played till the end but you could tell he wasn't as into it, and the lack of monitor meant his mixing wasn't as tight as it was before.

Meh.

Back
Top Bottom