Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Totally Unemployable

you'd get caught out for that too, surely? they'd need NI details.
Again, you shouldn't be putting your photo on your cv in the first place

If you, again for for example, applied for the post of librarian at the British International School of Goa, you'd probably be required to include a photo with your CV.

If you, again for for example, applied for the post of librarian at the British International School of Goa, you'd probably be required to include a photo with your CV.
why?

i personally wouldn't apply for any job that asked me to provide a photo, unless i was going for acting, modelling (ha!), lookalike or extras work

Nah. That's not how it works.
if you apply for a post which requires you to have specific skills and/or experience it's generally accepted that you provide evidence of those skills/experience whether (in the hypothetical you posed) in the cv or in the covering letter. if you want the job, that is.

if you apply for a post which requires you to have specific skills and/or experience it's generally accepted that you provide evidence of those skills/experience whether (in the hypothetical you posed) in the cv or in the covering letter. if you want the job, that is.
you only provide evidence on request, ime.

:facepalm: when you apply for a job, do you a) demonstrate you meet the person specification on the application form or cv/covering letter, or b) say 'i'll give you evidence when you request it'?
you state your qualifications on your cv and provide evidence of them if requested. i've only been asked to once.

Well, yeah.

I was commenting on the somewhat dubious at times recruitment processes in certain establishments.

:(
thankfully it isn't in this. you are generally not advised to put your photo on your CV.
I was told it was a big no-no when i was on the dole

It is here.

...but it isn't in other places.

To the point that you can find advice on the internet about CV creation that includes photos. Important for British students/job seekers to be aware of this before blindly following online instructions.

You should be asked every time. That's shoddy practice.
really? the only time i was asked was when i was applying for PGCE/Schools Direct. I couldn't prove it, so I didn't proceed any further. You have to pay silly money to exam boards to get GCSE or A Level certs. And I couldn't get a cert from my uni, just a letter.

The only -- literally only -- thing I will say in favour of photos is that when you are interviewing a lot of people, it is easy to forget who was who and it is handy to have the reminder of the face that went along with the CV.

That's not a good enough reason to include them, but it is a reason.

really? the only time i was asked was when i was applying for PGCE/Schools Direct. I couldn't prove it, so I didn't proceed any further. You have to pay silly money to exam boards to get GCSE or A Level certs. And I couldn't get a cert from my uni, just a letter.
surprised letter not enough, you may want to get a transcript from the university tho.

The only -- literally only -- thing I will say in favour of photos is that when you are interviewing a lot of people, it is easy to forget who was who and it is handy to have the reminder of the face that went along with the CV.

That's not a good enough reason to include them, but it is a reason.
ime there's generally 6-8 people interviewed for a post

Really it's only "professional qualifications" that matter though. GCSEs and A levels are largely going to be irrelevant. But if they're asking for qualified teachers or qualified librarian or graduates or whatever then they need to have evidence that their recruits meet this requirement.

I've always, always been asked to bring originals of degree, PGCE etc. with me to interview. They've almost always been photocopied there and then, regardless of whether I've been offered the job or not.

Schools cannot afford to be sloppy with their SCR.

Really it's only "professional qualifications" that matter though. GCSEs and A levels are largely going to be irrelevant. But if they're asking for qualified teachers or qualified librarian or graduates or whatever then they need to have evidence that their recruits meet this requirement.
I just have a BA - no school has asked me to prove it

schools chuck their records out with abandon.

Wouldn't surprise me.

But they risk failing Ofsted over their SCR and getting done for breaching data protection.

They also need to have a data retention schedule.

Managers can be held personally liable for this stuff if they're negligent. #justsayin' ;)

Back
Top Bottom