Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Feeling unemployable...

Had another interview for a position I didn't get - funny thing is I left the place kind of not wanting to get it, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Feedback from the interview followed a similar pattern though: enthusiastic and confident, good relevant experience, but lacking the experience of other candidates in certain fields (in this case, invoicing...)

edit: hadn't read this thread since I last posted, but actually I feel like what some of you have been saying has resonated with me more since rereading it.

Fancy a job in Russia, China, Vietnam or Uzbekistan? (Human rights abuses? What Human rights abuses?)

A degree in English lit and lang would pretty much guarantee you a job with this company. Got to be adventurous and self-sufficient though. And have the ability to drink like a docker.

Language Link London

Had another interview for a position I didn't get - funny thing is I left the place kind of not wanting to get it, so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. Feedback from the interview followed a similar pattern though: enthusiastic and confident, good relevant experience, but lacking the experience of other candidates in certain fields (in this case, invoicing...)

edit: hadn't read this thread since I last posted, but actually I feel like what some of you have been saying has resonated with me more since rereading it.
If you're lacking discrete skills such as invoicing and the idea doesn't make you want to stab your eyes out with a memory stick, could you download some free software and learn a bit of it or do a free online course? Something that would enable you to say briefly how this method or that programme is similar to [insert well-known/more expensive version that their company might use here]?

That ^ was some Sage advice.

Basil-Brush.jpg

Seriously, if you've only been looking since September I really wouldn't feel unemployable due to not having got anything yet. It took me months to get any sort of decent job after I graduated and I had a computer science degree—I was temping the whole time. I've spent longer than that looking for work recently even with many tedious years of experience (okay, I'm more picky nowadays, but still).

Back
Top Bottom