Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory wars

When Munira Mirza resigned her note said they'd discussed using the line and decided against it. She said she quit because he still couldn't help himself.

So it wasn't an off the cuff remark, or him lashing out because people were having a pop at him. It was a premeditated, 1st degree slur. It's straight out of Trump's playbook and we can expect to see more of the same as he tailspins toward totalitarianism or obscurity.

I think as an experiment in right wing populist rhetoric, it's failed pretty badly.

The Johnson/trump comparisons don't really work imo. They're very different people, and their relationship with the populist base is also very different - trump is a latter day messiah to those qanon people in a way Johnson just isn't for their equivalent here.

What's happened here is that Johnson has managed to hitch his wagon to the most widely loathed people in the country, the people who've spent the last year assaulting NHS workers, mobbing vaccine centres, chasing down journalists and the like. They are universally loathed by everyone who isn't them, and the only political capital available from them is to politicians who oppose them. Why anyone would invoke them any other way is beyond me, its an obviously losing tactic.

Why anyone would invoke them any other way is beyond me, its an obviously losing tactic.
I expect because its above all about smearing Starmer and amplifying those slurs rather than building a base within antivax circles - which has succeeded Id say - the association between Starmer and Saville has been amplified

I expect because its above all about smearing Starmer and amplifying those slurs rather than building a base within antivax circles - which has succeeded Id say - the association between Starmer and Saville has been amplified

The guy was shouting all sorts of stuff, including magna carta and freemen of the land madness. If anything I think it makes Starmer look like a serious politician and it makes people see the anti vax / freemen / conspiracists associated with Johnson. Not a bad thing hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom