Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Tory Leadership contest 2022

I know she's ludicrous, but even so, "we're bringing [fellow member and potential leader of our party] down with us" feels pretty next level in terms of lack of self-preservation or dignity.

<edit: OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE, IT SAYS RIGHT THERE IN THE PROFILE NAME THAT THE SECOND TWEET IS FROM A PARODY ACCOUNT>

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

A love so true

I know she's ludicrous, but even so, "we're bringing [fellow member and potential leader of our party] down with us" feels pretty next level in terms of lack of self-preservation or dignity.

<edit: OH FOR FUCK'S SAKE, IT SAYS RIGHT THERE IN THE PROFILE NAME THAT THE SECOND TWEET IS FROM A PARODY ACCOUNT>

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

tbf, the second tweet doesn't misrepresent the first tweet.

Right now this seems an entirely likely scenario. Glorious, isn’t it?
Don't think it will happen, there hasn't been much of a drift towards johnson today, if anything it's away from him. We'll see when all of the tory lice come out of the wordwork and put their votes in, but my guess is that johnson will never actually declare. Having not seen the news for a while, I might be entirely wrong on that. :hmm:

people cheering on a Johnson triumph you must think the damage would be restricted to within the tory party. Which i find very weird.
Eh? I see a johnson win as the very thing that guarantees they lose the next election. Whoever wins, there'll be a 'sensible' chancellor doing cuts and neoliberalism in power till 2024/5. And with Rachel Reeves after that...

If Johnson wins will there be chaos in the party and how many MPs and peers will walk away from the party and force a GE

Is this even possible? Boris as leader of Conservative Party but Sunak as PM.

its absolutely possible - it has happened before (after Chamberlain fell in 1940 when he was Leader but Churchill was PM) and no PM could function without having the confidence of a majority of their MPs

Is this even possible? Boris as leader of Conservative Party but Sunak as PM.

dunno really.

i don't think it's a legal / constitutional requirement for the PM of the day to be leader of their party, if they can pass a confidence vote in the HoC

think it would piss off a fair proportion of party members and the pro-johnson MP's though (whether it would piss enough MPs off enough to vote 'no confidence' and bring a general election on, i'm not sure)

dunno really.

i don't think it's a legal / constitutional requirement for the PM of the day to be leader of their party, if they can pass a confidence vote in the HoC

think it would piss off a fair proportion of party members and the pro-johnson MP's though (whether it would piss enough MPs off enough to vote 'no confidence' and bring a general election on, i'm not sure)

TBF the pro-Johnson MPs are going to do that anyway if he loses this election; all these calls for unity are of course about everyone else falling into line rather than themselves.

I doubt that even the Johnson headbangers would stretch to supporting a vonc in the house, though. Not with so many polls currently being what they are.

Even if you're convinced that Johnson is a vote-magnet, he'd need a minimum of 6 months to bribe/butter up the electorate.

Back
Top Bottom