Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Top Gear 2016 who should the presenters be?

It will be interesting to see what features and sections Clarkson May and Hammond come up with for their new show as my understanding is they can't do the segments they did at the BBC.

It will be interesting to see what features and sections Clarkson May and Hammond come up with for their new show as my understanding is they can't do the segments they did at the BBC.
You have a different understanding of "interesting" to me.

The only things i can't see them not being able to do is:

1) The Stig - But that doesn't mean they can't have some other way of pitting production cars against each other
2) stars in reasonably priced cars - Doesn't mean they can't have some other star based feature
3) The cool board - Which they ain't done for ages anyways

The road trips, the races, the news, interviewing celebs - The beeb ain't got copyright on such things

These segments are conceived and put together by the production teams, not the presenters. The skill is in the edit and the narrative. The relevant people all still work on the BBC show, not this niche Amazon embarrassment.

The only things i can't see them not being able to do is:

1) The Stig - But that doesn't mean they can't have some other way of pitting production cars against each other
2) stars in reasonably priced cars - Doesn't mean they can't have some other star based feature
3) The cool board - Which they ain't done for ages anyways

The road trips, the races, the news, interviewing celebs - The beeb ain't got copyright on such things

Celebrity in a er... Mitsubishi.

or my personal favourite

"how fast can a penguin from the internet drive a supercar round our track?" in which a certain internet random who uses a penguins name drives a different supercar round a race track

or my personal favourite

"how fast can a penguin from the internet drive a supercar round our track?" in which a certain internet random who uses a penguins name drives a different supercar round a race track

They did that in Series 2. Didn't really work so was edited out.

Everyone who gives a fuck about this topic should be banned.
What tosh, nothing wrong with a car based entertainment show, a lot of people enjoy it.

Would you say the same about Strictly Come Dancing, Ready Steady Cook, X Factor, The Voice, Dragon's Den, The Apprentice, Bake off, Big Brother, Celebrity Big Brother etc etc because they are just the same, entertainment shows around a fairly harmless theme!

Supposedly they're going with Evans, Sabine Schmidt and Chris Harris. I like Harris, decent journalist.

I dismissed Sabine as a possible candidate as I thought she was already a Top Gear Germany host so why would she want to host ours.

But I guess as the Flagship programme we probably pay more.

I dismissed Sabine as a possible candidate as I thought she was already a Top Gear Germany host so why would she want to host ours.

But I guess as the Flagship programme we probably pay more.

Vague google indicates about £500k for the last lot (Clarkson probably more plus he owned a stake in the format, BBC worldwide profits), so probably a substantial increase on the regional variant (although they may start the non-Evanses on less). But I think the main thing would be a massively increased profile... Advertising, tours, other TV etc. After dinner speaking is a big one; Clarkson's agency lists him in the £50k+ fee group, May £15-20k. An odd world of appearances and talks, corporate events, oligarch parties and things. That's where people like Blair are hiding out - being wined and dined by their old yacht chums and netting more than £100k for a talk.

Ok then?!

LeBlanc to be Top Gear co-presenter - BBC News

_88094477_topgear2_976bbc.jpg

I think I guess the logic.

Top Gear was for a long time a cashcow for the Beeb because of international sales.

Losing the original cast is going to have a large effect on international revenue.

The biggest international market is the US so they have hired a household yank name in an attempt to keep that audience.

The logic is flawed though. There are plenty of American car shows. The reason Americans watched Top Gear was to see what those crazy eccentric Brits were up to this week.

Nevertheless, I couldn't really see how even the mooted Brit replacements would match up to the appeal of Clarkson and co.

I don't even see how Evans will appeal TBH. Nobody really knows who he is there, and he's not really funny in a way I can see how Clarkson may be to Americans (plus there's a more well known actor called Chris Evans in the US to add to matters). Meh.

Chris Evans was weird enough in the first place. The fuck is going through their minds?

The biggest international market is the US so they have hired a household yank name in an attempt to keep that audience.

The logic is flawed though. There are plenty of American car shows. The reason Americans watched Top Gear was to see what those crazy eccentric Brits were up to this week.
There's a US Top Gear anyway so the point is somewhat, though not entirely, moot.

Matt Le Blanc has been very entertaining in almost everything I've seen him in ('Joey' excepted) and comes across well in interviews.

This might not be too bad actually, I'll probably give it a go.

Amazon and that bunch of twats can do one though.

They're all into their cars, or in LeBlanc's case, bikes. What's weird about that?

Evans - not particularly charismatic, bit of a joke. Well suited to Radio 2...

LeBlanc - I quite like him, but he's American.

More generally - white men again. See who third is.

Evans is a tool. Yeah, so was Clarkson, but he KNEW he was a tool and acted it out by being as controversial as he could. But Evans is just a tool.

They also need a May type character to provide a level of petrol nerdiness to the show but I can't see where that's coming from.

I'm predicting shitness from this and will probably just download the Amazon one and ignore evans and his bunch.

Back
Top Bottom