Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Top Gear 2016 who should the presenters be?

Matt LeBlanc - He's a known peteolhead, a huge star, has a likeable TV persona and iirc holds the guest record round the track so must be a pretty decent driver. Makes perfect sense.

There's a US Top Gear anyway so the point is somewhat, though not entirely, moot.

That sort of is the point though... Top Gear (UK) is popular in the US because it's not a US motoring show (to generalise massively).

Nevertheless, I couldn't really see how even the mooted Brit replacements would match up to the appeal of Clarkson and co.

I don't even see how Evans will appeal TBH. Nobody really knows who he is there, and he's not really funny in a way I can see how Clarkson may be to Americans (plus there's a more well known actor called Chris Evans in the US to add to matters). Meh.

No one knew who Clarkson May or Hammond was.

Evans - not particularly charismatic, bit of a joke. Well suited to Radio 2...

LeBlanc - I quite like him, but he's American.

More generally - white men again. See who third is.
There's not a fixed cast of three any more. AIUI, there's already Sabine Schmidt, Chris Harris and David Coulthard in the lineup.

There's a US Top Gear anyway so the point is somewhat, though not entirely, moot.

I think US top gear was cancelled, because it was genuinely terrible. Like when they tried to make a British version of the Golden Girls awful.

Presumably they're going with 2 fixed and 1 changing presenter for each episode.

And for anyone who has watched Friends, it's a moo point, not moot ;)

I think US top gear was cancelled, because it was genuinely terrible. Like when they tried to make a British version of the Golden Girls awful.
I think it's still going, but I'm not sure. Last ran in 2014, for its fifth season. It looked pretty bad though, but then so are most car things.

If new TopGear tries to be old TopGear but with other people doing Clarkson et al impressions it will fail.
Evans, like him or loathe him, has a decent record of format invention, and they need to change the format

Le blanc doesn't seem a bad choice

I like Le Blanc. I have never watched an episode of Top Gear, I have no interest in watching a car show, I can't stand Clarkson or Chris Evans, but I might even watch an episode of Top Gear if this is true.

So smart move, I'd say.

hah that sounds amazing - just the kind of shit tv that doesn't get made anymore
...looked it up - "Brighton Belles" - very vaguely remember it - sadly cant find an episode online... if anyone has a private collection PM me ;)

I like Le Blanc. I have never watched an episode of Top Gear, I have no interest in watching a car show, I can't stand Clarkson or Chris Evans, but I might even watch an episode of Top Gear if this is true.

So smart move, I'd say.
Actually, I misunderstood - I thought he was replacing Evans. If Evans is presenting as well I won't be watching.

One thing I have learned today is that Evans is unexpectedly tall, measuring in at 6'2".

So this is the line up
Eddie Jordan and Sabine Schmitz join Top Gear line-up - BBC News
_88212359_topgear.jpg

Im just glad the didn't decide to do like Your Fired and have someone like Romesh Ranganathan turn up to do brief little comedy interludes.

Looks alright as a lineup goes, I may watch it, especially as there is a snowballs chance in hell of me subscribing to watch PayTV to watch the other lot.

Why all the facepalms? What's wrong with him :confused:

Not afraid to speak his mind, owned an F1 team, has a whole world of contacts/inside stories from the world of F1, seems a great fit for a car show to me.
I don't like him. He didn't contribute much to the F1 commentary, imho.

The programme is doomed. It worked so well before because they took 3 very good pals and put them in interesting/exciting situations and the "classic bants" did the rest. It was a dynamic that worked, and Clarkson's arsehole/un-pcness was its USP, not a weakness.

I bet those good folks over at the mail online will be spewing at the diversity aspect -"BBC quotas pah" etc

I'm gonna go have a look

To my mind the star of the new lineup is Schmidt, I hope they give her plenty of airtime. Don't really have any favourites among the rest. Hope it works though it should be about cars but primarily it should be entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom