Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Top Gear 2016 who should the presenters be?

I think Evans is an incorrigible arsehole, who will insist in being front and centre.

Remember his behaviour on TFI/Radio 1 in the early days "Tell us how much you earn, go on, tell us how much you earn on air" type thing

Not afraid to speak his mind, owned an F1 team, has a whole world of contacts/inside stories from the world of F1, seems a great fit for a car show to me.
These are all fair points, but the trouble is he can also be an excruciating, self-important knob. So can many, to be fair, and then it's a case of if the pros outweigh the cons. For me, with Jordan they rarely do.

These are all fair points, but the trouble is he can also be an excruciating, self-important knob. So can many, to be fair, and then it's a case of if the pros outweigh the cons. For me, with Jordan they rarely do.

Strange. He never came across that way to me. Quite the opposite in fact.

I don't mind Eddie Jordan, I think he could have a place in a TopGear program. I am more concerned that there are so many people in the lineup which suggests they will only get slight coverage. Can they do their usual, and key to the program, forays abroad with that many or will some be left at home?

I'm pretty sure it's going to work.

Rory Reid is excellent, it turns out.

That's an awful car but a really good piece.

That's a great piece but you're utterly wrong about the car, it's utterly magnificent.
It's far too far into self-parodying levels of new money footballer opulence, and ugly in a brutalist kind of way to boot. If it weren’t for that I'd have a lot more time for it as on an automotive basis.

It's far too far into self-parodying levels of new money footballer opulence, and ugly in a brutalist kind of way to boot. If it weren’t for that I'd have a lot more time for it as on an automotive basis.
It's a Rolls Royce, of course it's opulent.

As for the looks, they could have been conservative, played safe and made it look like any other large executive saloon. They didn't, they made something with an identity and presence. It's magnificent.

If I was going to have a WAGs car it would be a Range Rover Overfinch with oversized wheel arches and bull bars that I'd use to push single mums in pyjamas away from the school gates as I park on the zigzags. Like a Foxtons exec.

It's a Rolls Royce, of course it's opulent.

As for the looks, they could have been conservative, played safe and made it look like any other large executive saloon. They didn't, they made something with an identity and presence. It's magnificent.

Hmm. I don't have a problem with opulence in cars per se, I very much like Maseratis and so on, but some of it (Ferrari included) leaves me cold. Including all that TG coverage, unless someone breaks the mould as here. I don't know if it's primarily the product or the clientele, hard to separate them after a while of being interested in cars.

RR used to be all about old money, stylistically antique, but of late it seems more a mixture of Germanic premium and vulgarity, neither of which appeals. I get what you're saying and again in isolation I might think differently.

I think it's ugly as fuck, but it's brutalist is the wrong word.

Quite possibly. What would you call it then?

Not just the outside, btw, e.g. http://image.motortrend.com/f/41822487+w786+ar1/Rolls-Royce-Phantom-Series-II-interior.jpg

Brutalism implies a stripped-back, raw design. Concrete cast in rough wood moulds, showing the grain of the wood, exposure of function in the aesthetic of a finished design... If you stretched it to cars I suppose you might draw an analogy with the rat-rod look, but that's a bit spurious since brutalism wouldn't be consciously old. Perhaps if you made a car with its raw bodywork exposed, just clear lacquer as a barrier.

I don't know what that you could call that kind of car design. Sort of brash, slab-sided arrogance. Will it even be significant enough to earn a name? Fat, square, face with a big mouth and little piggy eyes. Reminds me more of the shitty American new muscle car design or possibly Ford pick-up truck type thing. Boxyism.

There have been quite a few articles published on MSN recently saying that Chris Evans is a bully, hard to know if they are true or just some warped pre show warm up publicity.

Back
Top Bottom